• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailing Question

What is the best way you have found to get the plastic guard under the nose and the plactic piece attached to the driver-side wind shield wiper blade to be really BLACK. Mine are really quite dull from age, and seem to stand out against my black paint job.

I use Turtle Wax Black Chrome, works great.

blackchrome.jpg

Last edited:
Car -Brite

What youv'e got in too much silicon on your plastic. What you need to do is clean it off with a degreasing agent first. Because what happens when you use a silicon product on plastic it closes it off so it can not breath. I would use car - brite ( crystal shine )
or a rubber, lens ( taillight etc) pollish. That would give you the best results. I hope that helps. If you got some cleaning products at home like ajax or commet that would work as well.

I just bought a spray can of Trim Paint at Autozone, mainly because of the low gloss level and color, and I painted the driver's side windshield wiper arm, even though it is not plastic, after cleaning, sanding, and priming. The old paint was showing a little bit of the metal underneath. It looks good, and should hold up in your application better than dyes, IMHO. You could also try sanding down that plastic piece and then use polishing compound on it. Maybe the oxidized layer being removed would darken the color some, but watch out for overpolishing.

Of course, the sun is the enemy of your paint and your rubber or plastic trim. I firmly believe in covering your NSX with a layered cover that breathes, Saving it now means you won't have to replace or restore it anywhere near as soon.

Regards,

Bill

Edit: Since the original post, I have polished the wind deflector
with Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover. The result is a
deeper black with a semigloss that is a good companion
to the other black pieces in the area. See covering, above.

Last edited:
I just took the damn thing off. It scrapes the parking blocks and the color does not match well; it looks like it wasn't designed for the car. Much happier now.

brickdds said:
I just took the damn thing off. It scrapes the parking blocks and the color does not match well; it looks like it wasn't designed for the car. Much happier now.
Just be careful - because if you scrape now, what you're scraping is no longer just a plastic trim piece that only costs $100...

What I meant was, if you have removed your chin spoiler, and you scrape (entering driveways, steeped parking garages, etc), you will be damaging your front air dam, which is a lot more expensive to fix/replace than $100.

Back