• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Devaluing the nsx opinion

Line with question is a yes. Yes it will devalue the nsx

• yes: Changing fly wheel to adapt single clutch disc

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 79 68.7%
  • yes: Wide body kits.

Votes: 102 88.7%
  • no

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • yes: Chaging to afteramarket radio

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • no

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • yes: painting to to mach body of the car

Votes: 67 58.3%
  • no:

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • yes: lowering the car

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • no

Votes: 74 64.3%
  • yes: bodykit ex. Wings West kit

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • no

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • yes: exhaust ex. headers, muffler

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • no

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • yes: aftermarket wheels

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • no

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • yes: super charger

Votes: 43 37.4%
  • no

Votes: 62 53.9%
  • yes: turbo charger

Votes: 67 58.3%
  • no

Votes: 41 35.7%

• Total voters
I think there are too many variables to be considered.

Exhaust, probably not devalue, unless it's a real hack job.

Supercharger, CTCS will likely add value. Other may or may not.

Wheels, nice 17/18's or 18/19's might add slight value. 19/20's chrome spinners might devalue the NSX.

It all depends...

like with all aftermarket parts, it's all about the installation. Yes, wheels are relatively bolt-on but even headers if done wrong can be very bad. Let alone.. an S/C and Turbo.

You should probably footnote your poll with a big assumption that the work done would be from a reputable shop. Otherwise, the results would be all over the place.

0.02 pesos

The only type of NSX that I would not buy are ones that have force induction done to them. Unless I have added on my own vehicle, I would never know the true condition of the vehicle upon purchase. I also would not buy a wide body nsx since the fiber glass panels are frail.

Anything outside wheels as aftermarket would devalue in my eyes.
Even when purchasing my current ride I got two months ago, I went through countless x's with some sort of kits applied to them...I even found a CTSC system on a same yr with a bit more miles for near the same price. Couldn't pull the trigger. Bottom line, I can't rely on mods done to the car that's not factory. True, you see some great mods with excellent installation/craftmanship but I wouldn't touch it.
I will say there are those that are very cash conscious and would like to spend as little as possible for what they had their heart set on (ie forced induction, body kits, etc). These individuals are the great equalizers in the market. Otherwise, one would lean on getting the most clean, reliable, low mileage x, then work on mods to their liking. This way, they know exacly the process done to the car, hence, could sleep at night.
Then theres those that would actually pay more for mods that are in the realm of uniqueness/style/rarity.

my2c.

:smile:

It is all so subjective, but I voted anyway.

Here is an example: http://www.nsxtrader.com/details.php?id=2991

A former member spent a ton of time, money and effort turning this car into, arguably, one of the best NSX examples of the time. Now that it is in someone else's hands it looks trashy IMO. Were the original mods worthwhile or did they "devalue" the car? Mike himself will tell you that all the polishing was a waste of tome, but the overall effect was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Some mods (like a CTSC) will increase the price at which the car is valued, but not by the amount of the mod. Putting $10,000 worth of mods on your car will not make it worth $10,000 more -- more like three or four thousand.

Interesting poll results.

With the caveat that there are a lot of variables, the general consensus seems to be that:

1.) modest mechanical upgrades (clutch, exhaust) do not negatively impact the resale value of the car

2.) radical cosmetic changes (body kits) do

Opinions are mixed on forced induction systems. Turbocharging systems are rated less favorably than supercharging systems, probably for emission control reasons.

Personally, I don't think heavily modifying a vehicle necessarily reduces the value of the car, what it does is reduces the pool of potential buyers. A lot of people want a stock car.

Last edited:
Yeah I see what your saying. Your market changes to a certain type of person vs. stock virtually everyone wants

With the caveat that there are a lot of variables, the general consensus seems to be that:

1.) modest mechanical upgrades (clutch, exhaust) do not negatively impact the resale value of the car

Opinions are mixed on forced induction systems. Turbocharging systems are rated less favorably than supercharging systems, probably for emission control reasons.

Personally, I don't think heavily modifying a vehicle necessarily reduces the value of the car, what it does is reduces the pool of potential buyers. A lot of people want a stock car.

I believe, in the future what will bring the most money will be the unmolested, original conditioned cars. Cars that are presented as they were originally made, stock and correct throughout, with all the documentation and history of ownership.

I expect values will really begin to grow about 2035 and will peak about 2045 - 2050.

With the exception of body kits, and assuming a quality install, the general rule is that the first modification will devalue the car by a few thousand dollars. One can charge about 25% of the retail value of all the modifications done, minus installation.

For example, if you take a $40,000 car and put wheels and exhaust on it that are worth $10K, you can probably charge that same $40K. Add to that another $30K in CTSC, Brembo Indy brakes, and various other bits and you can probably charge $46K.

In the end, though, the market is what it is.

i believe, in the future what will bring the most money will be the unmolested, original conditioned cars. Cars that are presented as they were originally made, stock and correct throughout, with all the documentation and history of ownership.

I expect values will really begin to grow about 2035 and will peak about 2045 - 2050.

++1

Well Joe on the 2035 increase - I am surely hoping that is way off. I'm thinking that your scenario for what makes one valuable is what makes any of them valuable now - the older cars like the long hood 911s. However, there are exceptions to those that have mods that do wonders for the car and Excellence talks about them all the time.

Tastefully done mods - are in the eye of the beholder to an extent - it depends on who owns the car and what's been done. If for example you take my car for example and the fact that I have all the original parts in boxes at my house - all of them. Now with that said adding a set of comptech stainless steel headers is a plus - will you get something for it -well maybe - but maybe it's what sells your car too -so that's hard to quantify. I have a later model exhaust system on the car too - no biggy - have a set of TSW 16 and 17s they look good on the car and they improve your tire choices - but I have the originals too. I might put them back on too.

Things tha are iffy or devalue the car- carbon fiber interior bits, repaints even in the original color (definitely - there is never a substitute for factory paint), dash stuff with new radios - nice but not the purist choice and hard to put back to original, brake mods, SC or TC -definitely do not add value except to some and then you better be careful and as others have said make you wonder how the cars been driven - as in driven hard! You don't know - tracking cars definitely reduces value and life span. Depends on how much but anytime your running a car hard on a track - after a while your engine life is measured in hours not miles. Body kits - forget it - that will always detract I think - it's not like anyone is moding the car's original metal to an updated fender flare like on 911s.

I think personally, that our NSXs those that can be put back to original easily and have desireable mods like headers are going to be worth the bigger bucks. Low milers - DEFINITELY! Oriiginal paint - big - no accidents - big. I believe that when this economy shakes out in maybe 5 years you'll see prices start rising. I think the increases are not far away - there are very few of these cars and they are super special - you've got some folks out there giving them away right now - not helping the resale value but that will settle out.

my 2 cents...

It depends on your intended meaning of value; if you're looking at the modifications in terms of their increased benefit, to you as an owner, you would see increased value (as you are interested in performing the modification), be it increased value in terms of better aesthetics (subjective), or increased performance.

If you are referring to resale value, even a single response from a person feeling the modification decreases value means your possible market for a car sale has decreased. In this situation, from a purely marketable standpoint, a 100% stock car has the highest "value" - spending money on a car will almost never return 1:1 when the car is sold, it certainly will not increase "value" above the cost of the modification.

I believe, in the future what will bring the most money will be the unmolested, original conditioned cars. Cars that are presented as they were originally made, stock and correct throughout, with all the documentation and history of ownership.

This is certainly an example of not all collectors think alike. Taking the 60s-70s muscle car environment example, if this was 100% correct then tuners like Hurst and Yenko would be selling their Mopars and Chevys not at a premium (as they do currently) but instead cheaper then their "stock" brethren. Who's to say vendors like Comptech/CT or even SoS will not eventually gain the respect to command premiums on cars installed with their parts? They already do somewhat...

All i'm saying is the value of most collectible cars are somewhat based on the hype and ownership desirability they had when they were new.

$0.02

All i'm saying is the value of most collectible cars are somewhat based on the hype and ownership desirability they had when they were new.

$0.02

The value of every collectible car is based on
only one thing: What someone is willing to pay.

People that are 30-40 years older, just like the cars and in the financial position to pay what ever the market demands, do so just to recapture the past and what they miss or missed.

Original "Hurst Editions" like the Olds 442 Hurst Edition do bring more money but the same year Olds 442 with a slapped on not original Hurst shifter does not bring as much money.

I believe original, correct Zanardi Editions will in general be worth more than other 1999 NSX's.
On the other hand a correct stock 1999 NSX will in general be worth more than a similar 1999 NSX with non correct, non original Zanardi bits.

Are there exceptions? Of course. You only need ONE buyer willing to pay the make a sale.

Last edited:
This is certainly an example of not all collectors think alike. Taking the 60s-70s muscle car environment example, if this was 100% correct then tuners like Hurst and Yenko would be selling their Mopars and Chevys not at a premium (as they do currently) but instead cheaper then their "stock" brethren. Who's to say vendors like Comptech/CT or even SoS will not eventually gain the respect to command premiums on cars installed with their parts? They already do somewhat...

$0.02

you are correct about documented yenko,shelby's.ect ect but we are talking about nsx's ,there are no comparative tuner nsx "brands" other than factory zanardis,and all the myriad of jdm models we never got. I'm sure there are a few "comptech" cars with thier whole catalogue including bodykit applyed, but I doubt they will be revered like the american muscle cars mentioned.... Hmm now if I can convince the collecter car culture of tommorow that the bumblebee edition is uber rare.......and desirable.....:eek:

Last edited:
you are correct about documented yenko,shelby's.ect ect but we are talking about nsx's ,there are no comparative tuner nsx "brands" other than factory zanardis,and all the myriad of jdm models we never got. I'm sure there are a few "comptech" cars with thier whole catalogue including bodykit applyed, but I doubt they will be revered like the american muscle cars mentioned.... Hmm now if I can convince the collecter car culture of tommorow that the bumblebee edition is uber rare.......and desirable.....:eek:

You are too funny Docjohn - bumblebee indeed! You know your color scheme kind of reminds me of the commemorative 914 in that same scheme - don't you think?

Any Mod tastefully done will not devalue the NSX. However it will limit your buyers. A stock car will sell the easiest because it will appeal to the most buyers. So to a dealer it is worth less. To a private buyer it may be worth more, if that is what they are looking for. Got to find the right A$$ for the seat thats all.

If you are contemplating modifying your car to you're liking go for it. But if you put a $30k body kit on a $30k car don't expect to get $60K for it.:wink:

One "caveat" I've seen are folks who haven't experienced first hand "race" clutches and really loud exhausts...who buy them and put on their car. They think it is cool, but even themselves tire of the unnecessary harshness (i.e. chatter and binary engagement of an all-carbon 6-puck clutch)...and they probably rarely impress a potential buyer on test drive (even if that buyer thought they wanted that cool clutch).

Good thing the first question was about flywheel, not clutch...too many variables among the many aftermarket clutches...though many certainly are good.

Last edited:
Back