• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DGauge Digital OBD2 Gauge

The DGauge is essentially a digital multi-gauge that plugs into the diagnostic port on most 1996 and later Asian, European and some US vehicles and displays real-time engine data on it's color TFT LCD. Through the selection of one of 3 different screen modes, you can monitor 2 user selectable parameters at a time. As many as 25 different parameters are available for viewing, depending on vehicle support and 7 parameters via external sensors. Exceptionally easy to set up and operate. With unmatched performance and reliability, the DGauge offers the most advanced technology in engine monitoring.

dg_web.jpg

Supported OBD parameters:

STF (Short Term Fuel Trim) %

LTF (Long Term Fuel Trim) %

CLV (Calculated Load Value) %

ALV (Absolute Load Value) %

RPM (Engine RPM)

IGN (Ignition Timing) °

TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) %

MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) kPa

BP (Boost Pressure) kPa or psi

MAF (Mass Air Flow) g/s

ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) °F or °C

EOT (Engine Oil Temperature) °F or °C

IAT (Intake Air Temperature) °F or °C

AAT (Ambient Air Temperature) °F or °C

O2 (Oxygen Sensor Voltage) v (Bank1 and Bank2)

AFR (A/F Ratio) (Bank1 and Bank2)

ALC (Fuel Alcohol Level) %

VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) mph or km/h

BAT (Battery Voltage) v

FRP (Fuel Rail Pressure) kPa or psi

GR (Gear Position) 1,2,3,4,5,6

Some parameters not available on all vehicles.

Supported external sensor parameters:

AFR (A/F Ratio)

EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) °F or °C

OIL (Oil Pressure) kPa or psi

Features:

• 3 screen modes that allow the user to select the data displayed.

• Selectable color for each "Gauge".

• Speed and Temperature can be displayed in Metric or English units.

• Pressure can be displayed in kPa or psi.

• Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's).

• Turns off check engine light (CEL).

• Displays boost on vehicles equipped with a MAP sensor.

• Displays A/F ratio on vehicles equipped with an OEM wideband O2 sensor.

• 2 external sensor inputs.

• Programmable shift light output.

• Adjustable ECT, EOT, EGT, BP and OIL alerts.

• Adjustable LCD brightness.

• Fast update rate.

• Data output for logging.

• Simple Plug and Play installation with included Data Link cable.

• Advanced high reliability 3" TFT LCD. Readable in direct sunlight.

• Automotive grade components used throughout.

• Compact size (5.2"x 2.2"x0.75"). Includes mounting brackets.

• A/F ratio conversion for Honda/Acura K20 engines built from 2002 to 2003. Vehicles with these engines have wideband A/F sensors but do not report the A/F ratio via the standard PID for A/F ratio and must be converted from the O2 sensor voltage. Accuracy is within a tenth of a point (0.1) from 11.5:1 to 15.5:1 A/F ratio. It will read richer and leaner mixtures, however the conversion is less accurate as the A/F ratio moves out of this range.

Options:

Shift Light - The shift light output is adjustable from 3,000 rpm to 9,900 rpm in 100 rpm increments. The output can drive an LED shift light such as the SL2A (sold separately).

External Sensors - The DGauge has 2 external sensor inputs. Sensors and sensor connection cables are sold separately.

Micro Mount - The Micro Mount is an elegant non-permanent mounting solution.

More info at http://www.brockwayengineering.com/dgauge.html

Last edited:
Stealth installation in a TSX center storage compartment. Could possibly fit in the NSX center storage compartment as well.

dgauge_tsx.jpg

Last edited:
Can this function with OBD1 nsx with AEM EMS?

very nice setup, I'd actually like to run this on my S2000... how many sensors would I need to purchase in order to monitor boost and AFR accurately? I checked on the website, so I would assume that I would just need to purchase the two corresponding sensors? Does the AFR measure off of the ECU or off of a separate AFR sensor? I'm also running an AEM standalone ECU on the car, would that cause any sort of problems? Sorry for so many questions, but this product seems like a very nice piece and I'm very interested in utilizing it on the race car. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but no OBD1 support, that is completely different from OBD2.

The AEM ECU does not support OBD2 diagnostics. :frown:

All 1996 and later vehicles with a factory ECU that were sold new in the US have to support OBD2 diagnostics.

We are planning a non-OBD version with just the 2 sensor inputs and a tach input. This will work on any vehicle with any ECU.

Last edited:
Here are the OBD parameters that are available on the NSX with the current firmware.

CLV (Calculated Load Value) %
ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) °F or °C
STF (Short Term Fuel Trim, Bank1 and Bank2) %
LTF (Long Term Fuel Trim, Bank1 and Bank2) %
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) kPa
RPM (Engine RPM)
VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) mph or km/h
IGN (Ignition Timing) °
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) %
O2 (Oxygen Sensor Voltage, Bank1 and Bank2) v
GR (Gear Position) 1,2,3,4,5,6

Last edited:
New firmware just released! We added LTF and ALV for vehicles that support it.
Also, for vehicles with a MAP sensor, we added a new parameter for BP and an
auto calibration feature.

We are in final stages of testing a new parameter. Gear Position can be monitored for 1 through 6. This will be great for track use. Bear in mind that this is based on a calculation of RPM vs vehicle speed, so if you push in the clutch or are in neutral, then it can't identify the gear and so just shows "0". So far it works flawlessly, but as always, we do extensive testing before it is released. Should be in the next week or so. Customers that currently have a DGauge can send their unit back to us for a re-flash.

We are in final stages of testing a new parameter. Gear Position can be monitored for 1 through 6. This will be great for track use. Bear in mind that this is based on a calculation of RPM vs vehicle speed, so if you push in the clutch or are in neutral, then it can't identify the gear and so just shows "0". So far it works flawlessly, but as always, we do extensive testing before it is released. Should be in the next week or so. Customers that currently have a DGauge can send their unit back to us for a re-flash.
Would be interested to see what you guys come up with. I've done this before but using magnetic read switches around the shifter itself.

Would be interested to see what you guys come up with. I've done this before but using magnetic read switches around the shifter itself.

That has the advantage of indicating the gear even when you have the clutch in, but the disadvantage of being less reliable due to having many more parts.

So far the gear calculation works perfect. There is enough spacing between the gears to accommodate the required tolerance without any overlap, so it's rock solid. We will post a video in the next week or so on our website so you can see for yourself.

Last edited:
Does this have any warning features? For example, a light/beep/signal output when a parameter (e.g. water temp) reaches or exceeds a user-specified value?

Does this have any warning features? For example, a light/beep/signal output when a parameter (e.g. water temp) reaches or exceeds a user-specified value?

Yes. There are alerts for the following parameters:

ECT (Engine Coolant Temp)
EOT (Engine Oil Temp)
EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp)
OIL (Oil Pressure)
BP (Boost Pressure)

All fully adjustable. When the alert is active, the gauge value will blink.

Yes. There are alerts for the following parameters:

ECT (Engine Coolant Temp)
EOT (Engine Oil Temp)
EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp)
OIL (Oil Pressure)
BP (Boost Pressure)

All fully adjustable. When the alert is active, the gauge value will blink.

But how are you even getting things like EGT or EOT?

Is it possible to get fuel pressure? Also does positive manifold pressure require an extra sensor? I guess I am asking what is standard and what needs sensors

But how are you even getting things like EGT or EOT?

Is it possible to get fuel pressure? Also does positive manifold pressure require an extra sensor? I guess I am asking what is standard and what needs sensors

See post #6 above for the OBD parameters that are available on a 1996 or later NSX. The factory MAP sensor will provide readings up to 176kPa, which equates to about 10~12 psi of boost, depending on elevation. For boost pressures higher than this, you need an external sensor.

The DGauge has 2 analog inputs, so in addition to the OBD parameters, you can also monitor these:

AFR (A/F Ratio)
EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) °F or °C
OIL (Oil Pressure) kPa or psi

Will this work with the FIC? Does the AEM Wideband gauge provide the same thing, or is it complimentary?

Yes, it will work with the F/IC as long as the ECU is OBD2 compliant (1996 or later). Since the NSX does not have factory wideband sensors, then you would need either the AEM wideband gauge, or the AEM Inline UEGO and connection cable to read the AFR on the DGauge.

I like the alerts.

I also notice only two parameters can be shown on the screen. Does this mean only those two parameters can notify of an alert?

I guess, let me ask a different way...

Let's say I have Boost and AFR on screen but I've also set an alarm for Oil Temp in the background. If my oil temp gets too high how will the system notify me? Will I just hear a beep or will it "popup" on the screen?

Also, for us OBD1 guys... are there any OBD1 sensors we can take advantage of like perhaps the OEM IAT sensor?

EDIT: I forgot to ask... are there any buttons or controls on the back or side of this unit that would prevent it from being flush mounted?

Nevermind, I just found this!
I would be VERY interested in a din solution if you can show 4 screens at the same time instead of 2. Also, if this was OBD1 friendly.. meaning tap into the OBD1 sensors as if they were external sensors. Thoughts on that?
DG_DIN_P996.jpg

Last edited:
I like the alerts.

I also notice only two parameters can be shown on the screen. Does this mean only those two parameters can notify of an alert?

I guess, let me ask a different way...

Let's say I have Boost and AFR on screen but I've also set an alarm for Oil Temp in the background. If my oil temp gets too high how will the system notify me? Will I just hear a beep or will it "popup" on the screen?

Also, for us OBD1 guys... are there any OBD1 sensors we can take advantage of like perhaps the OEM IAT sensor?

EDIT: I forgot to ask... are there any buttons or controls on the back or side of this unit that would prevent it from being flush mounted?

I would be VERY interested in a din solution if you can show 4 screens at the same time instead of 2. Also, if this was OBD1 friendly.. meaning tap into the OBD1 sensors as if they were external sensors. Thoughts on that?

Only 2 parameters at a time. Our current screen layout is 2 gauges and the alerts work by blinking the value. We have thought about a 4 gauge layout, but can't work on it for a few months due to other stuff we are working on.

The DGauge is designed to communicate with an OBD2 compliant ECU. The external inputs are provided because there are some parameters that are not supported through diagnostics. The current version will not work with an OBD1 ECU. We are planning a non-OBD version that will work on any vehicle with any ECU but don't have an estimate of when it will be available.

Only 2 parameters at a time. Our current screen layout is 2 gauges and the alerts work by blinking the value. We have thought about a 4 gauge layout, but can't work on it for a few months due to other stuff we are working on.

The DGauge is designed to communicate with an OBD2 compliant ECU. The external inputs are provided because there are some parameters that are not supported through diagnostics. The current version will not work with an OBD1 ECU. We are planning a non-OBD version that will work on any vehicle with any ECU but don't have an estimate of when it will be available.

For a future version I would like to request being able to set an alarm for a parameter running in the background and displaying that on screen when hit.

Nice product. Wish I could use it.

Yes, it will work with the F/IC as long as the ECU is OBD2 compliant (1996 or later). Since the NSX does not have factory wideband sensors, then you would need either the AEM wideband gauge, or the AEM Inline UEGO and connection cable to read the AFR on the DGauge.

Am I understanding correctly that there is no significant value that the DGAUGE provides if a windeband + F/IC is installed?

Am I understanding correctly that there is no significant value that the DGAUGE provides if a wideband + F/IC is installed?

That depends on what you consider "value". The wideband gauge is a single gauge whereas the DGauge is many, plus it can check and clear trouble codes, plus it has alerts, plus it has a shift light output, plus it has a gear position indicator, plus it's visible in all lighting conditions, plus it can display the values in metric or english, etc.

It really depends on what your needs are. If the F/IC and wideband gauge meet your needs, well then you probably don't need the DGauge.

Ditto for alerts. Specifically, I would like to be able to set alerts for parameters in the background - for example, having warning alerts for oil temp (external sensor), oil press (external sensor), water temp, etc. regardless of what 2 parameters I have on the screen. It doesn't have to poll realtime, it could even be every 0.5 seconds or even every second. It would nice to have a built in piezo buzzer or even just a trigger lead that I can hook up to my own external buzzer and/or LED for warnings.

Back