• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DGauge Digital OBD2 Gauge

What specific parameter alerts do you want?
If we can make a basic assumption that you can have an alert for each of the 6 parameters this unit tracks, then I would want an alert for all 6 but it's important to have the monitoring of these alerts active in the background for the other 4 you're not looking at.

Kuni laid it out nicely.

In my example above let's say i'm monitoring 3 parameters/sensors to make it simple. 1. Boost 2. AFR 3. Oil Temp

Boost and AFR are probably something i'd like to keep track off actively and i'll pick those to be visible on the DGauge. I'm still concerned about high oil temps of course. I would LOVE for a warning warning beep when say my oil temps hit 225 degs. For example, if an alert is triggered the LCD can switch to the color RED, an audible piezo can be triggered and the Boost readout can be replaced with my oil temp. Heck, I can provide the piezo if the unit can provide an external trigger.

What would be really slick is to have a two stage alert system where if I hit 215 degs it would be pulse warning at some unoffensive piezo tone and when it hits 235 it would be a solid warning high pitched tone. Ok, fine... I might be asking for too much but hopefully this feedback is useful for you.

For the average HPDE person there isn't really a nice digital solution. The best out there is either the HKS CAMP2 or PLX solutions and a few other smartphone OBD2 apps. Yours has the potential to be better than all and be much more simple in which it's programmable for alerts and different display options.

Now from a mounting perspective... it would also be cool to be able to daisy chain more than one unit together like PLX does. One can be a master controller and the others are just slaves.

I would take it apart like you did here and flush mount it to my center console. I'd want 4 of these on display full time or maybe just build one with an LCD wide enough to fit 4 parameters.

dg_board.jpg

Last edited:
like RYU said - it would be SWEET if you had separate display/control modules, possibly daisy-chainable, so that 1) it's expandable and 2) more flexible mounting options. Particularly on an NSX there isn't a good space for this entire unit, it would be nice to be able to put it inside the cubbyhole where the ashtray goes, or something like that.

The height x width x length are not published in the User Manual PDF or on your website. What are the dimensions with the "cover" and w/o just the motherboard/display?

Anyone get it to fit in the NSX ashtray area? To put in without taking the ashtray door off it looks like roughly 15.5cm x 4.5cm to work with. With the door removed there is little more room.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. We'll keep this in mind when working on an update. Some of this can be done with a firmware update, but some would require a redesign. The current firmware will actually monitor a third parameter in the background. If Oil Pressure is selected as an input, then it will continue to monitor it and ground an output (low side driver) when the alert is active. This is intended to be connected to the Oil Pressure warning light on the dash. In effect, it functions the same as a low oil pressure switch, only it's adjustable. All vehicle applications that we have looked at have a low oil pressure switch, including the NSX, which works by grounding one side of the indicator lamp, whether it's incandescent or LED.

It's possible this feature could be reconfigured for EOT with minimal effort. Perhaps the best solution would be to make it functional for both low oil pressure and high oil temperature, either condition activating the external alert.

The dimensions of the case are 5.2" x 2.2" x 0.7".
The dimensions of the PCB are 4.8" x 2".

Last edited:
It's possible this feature could be reconfigured for EOT with minimal effort. Perhaps the best solution would be to make it functional for both low oil pressure and high oil temperature, either condition activating the external alert.

Yes. The main purpose I want this is for tracking the car. I want a warning to pull off the track, oil temp or pressure would do that. :)

We're going to add the EOT background monitoring and enable the external alert for that as well as the OIL pressure. This is a pretty simple update and should be implemented in the next week or so.

We're also investigating a custom DGauge version to fit in the ashtray opening. This would be flush mount and require the complete ashtray assembly be removed. We need a center console trim piece for measuring. If anyone has one laying around, then let us know.

Last edited:
Updated firmware now released! The external alert has been enhanced to monitor oil pressure and oil temperature. We posted a user manual for the EA1 wiring kit here: http://www.brockwayengineering.com/manuals.html
excellent! wish you had an OBD1 version :redface::redface::redface:
We still need a center console trim piece for measuring. If anyone has one laying around, then let us know.
i have one on my work bench. pm me with your email and i'll send you measurements.

excellent! wish you had an OBD1 version :redface::redface::redface:

i have one on my work bench. pm me with your email and i'll send you measurements.

For OBD1, what parameters would you want to monitor?

Thanks for the offer on the center console, but we need to have one in hand to do a good job of designing the DGauge housing. If you want to let us barrow it for a couple of weeks, then we can pay for shipping and offer a discount on a DGauge. :biggrin:

For OBD1, what parameters would you want to monitor?
I'd like to tie into the factory IAT sensor thru OBD1. However, if that's not possible I need to hook up external sensors to monitor (and alert) for AFR 1, AFR 2, IAT, Boost, + oil temp and fuel press in the background with alerts. I was going to contact you about doing a custom 2 LCD display since it looks like these are 1/2 din size and can fit 2 into a single din opening effectively reading 4 parameters in one view.

I hate to post this to your thread but this is my current best option for us standalone sensor guys for some comparison.

Thanks for the offer on the center console, but we need to have one in hand to do a good job of designing the DGauge housing. If you want to let us barrow it for a couple of weeks, then we can pay for shipping and offer a discount on a DGauge. :biggrin:
I can send you this piece if you promise to take good care of it but you will likely need the ashtray assembly that sits behind that. I don't have an extra one of those lying around but maybe someone else can chime in.

As RYU has said - if you need the actual door/tray assembly that would be much harder to come by compared to the center console panel.

That being said - if you guys can work with the ashtray unit that pops inside the tray assembly (like this) then I'd be happy to send you mine. It would be ideal if the dgauge unit could pop in into its place.

The ashtray itself appears to be too small, that's why we want to design the special version to be flush mount, requiring the whole ashtray assembly, including the door, to be removed. The special DGauge version would snap into place, with hook tabs that secure to the sides of the opening.

Ah I see - that's too bad, since being able to close the door would be the whole point of having a gauge in there, at least for me.

Would it be possible to at least have a split PCB so that the buttons can be remote mounted? This would probably be helpful in many other applications too, not just for the NSX since it would open up a whole new world of mounting possibilities.

I think it will fit behind the door, but you have to pull the entire cig lighter and ashtray assembly out (not just the removeable ashtray in the pic above).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I took a look at this the other day, but doesn't the door hinge from the unit that includes the cigarette lighter assembly? I may be wrong, but it seemed like you couldn't keep the door w/o keeping the cigarette lighter assembly (unless you hacked it up). If it's possible though, I'd be more than happy to give up the cigarette lighter to be able to fit the gauge inside the door!

I guess Brock is thinking something like this...(sorry for the really large pic)
5758NSXdtl42005_0318AG.JPG

When most would like something like this albeit w/ or w/o the cig lighter plug
nsx1.jpg

I believe Kuni is correct. I'll have to check to be sure but the trapdoor is mounted to the ashtray assembly. It may not function properly if the assembly is hacked up too much but I believe you can cut it up some. I'll post pics next time I take that section apart.

Yes, flush mount like the AVC-R installation.
If you want to mount the DGauge behind the door, then you will have to modify the ashtray assembly, which includes the door (see pic). At that point, you might as well use the current DGauge housing.

Attachments

• NSX_console.jpg
    NSX_console.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 116
We changed Screen mode 3 to a 4x gauge layout. Screen 1 = Gauges 1 and 2. Screen 2 = Gauges 3 and 4. Screen 3 = Gauges 1, 2, 3 and 4.

dgauge_main.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody on Prime have this product? I really like the idea of the ashtray mount--looks relatively stealth. Does this gauge cover pretty much all the monitoring you need for supercharger applications?

Last edited:
Here are the OBD parameters that are available on the NSX.

CLV (Calculated Load Value) %
ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) °F or °C
STF (Short Term Fuel Trim, Bank1 and Bank2) %
LTF (Long Term Fuel Trim, Bank1 and Bank2) %
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) kPa
BP (Boost Pressure) kPa or psi
RPM (Engine RPM)
VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) mph or km/h
IGN (Ignition Timing) °
IAT (Intake Air Temperature) °F or °C
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) %
O2 (Oxygen Sensor Voltage, Bank1 and Bank2) v
GR (Gear Position) 1,2,3,4,5,6

The DGauge has 2 external sensor inputs, so you may want to consider adding a wideband O2 sensor and a Fuel Rail Pressure sensor. That should cover everything you need for your supercharged application. Keep in mind though that the factory Honda MAP sensor tops out at about 11 psi, so if you plan to have more boost than that, then you would have to add an external BP sensor.

like RYU said - it would be SWEET if you had separate display/control modules, possibly daisy-chainable, so that 1) it's expandable and 2) more flexible mounting options. Particularly on an NSX there isn't a good space for this entire unit, it would be nice to be able to put it inside the cubbyhole where the ashtray goes, or something like that.

Since this post was ignored by the vendor - I'm quoting hoping it's responded too. :)

I think people would love to connect this to a screen in the Navpod as an option. If a solution more specific to the NSX was engineered and offered, I think the success would be much greater.

We didn't see enough interest to develop a special version, but it looks like the DGauge will fit inside the ashtray area if the ashtray assembly and the the DGauge housing were modified.

Back