• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DGauge Digital OBD2 Gauge

Hi, can I ask a couple questions of clarification? I was going to email you but figured the answers would help others too.

1. For the built-in programmable alert (e.g. ECT), what does it do? Visual warning, audible warning? It would be great if we could do both. Even being able to send a signal to the shift light output would be great. (Maybe an option for setting shift light output to warning light output?)

2. On your website it says you have external alerts for oil pressure and oil temp only. Is this "external alert" a trigger for sounding an external alarm or something? Does this mean that the built-in OBDII parameters (such as ECT) cannot trigger this alarm?

3. I don't see ECT listed as a possible external input. If I wanted to connect an auxiliary ECT sensor, would this be possible? I imagine it would be if I just said it was Oil Temp instead...

4. I see that there is supposed to be an output for data logging, but I don't see a port for that on the back of the unit. What's the interface? (USB/serial/something else?) Is there software provided or something off the shelf we should use to data log? Since the Dgauge only polls the inputs that are being displayed, is it safe to assume it will only data log the parameters being displayed on the screen?

5. Is it easy to open the case and remove the PCB unit for a custom installation? Is it a reversible process?

6. When firmware updates are made and I have already purchased the units - is it possible to update it?

Thanks!

Hi, can I ask a couple questions of clarification? I was going to email you but figured the answers would help others too.

1. For the built-in programmable alert (e.g. ECT), what does it do? Visual warning, audible warning? It would be great if we could do both. Even being able to send a signal to the shift light output would be great. (Maybe an option for setting shift light output to warning light output?)

2. On your website it says you have external alerts for oil pressure and oil temp only. Is this "external alert" a trigger for sounding an external alarm or something? Does this mean that the built-in OBDII parameters (such as ECT) cannot trigger this alarm?

3. I don't see ECT listed as a possible external input. If I wanted to connect an auxiliary ECT sensor, would this be possible? I imagine it would be if I just said it was Oil Temp instead...

4. I see that there is supposed to be an output for data logging, but I don't see a port for that on the back of the unit. What's the interface? (USB/serial/something else?) Is there software provided or something off the shelf we should use to data log? Since the Dgauge only polls the inputs that are being displayed, is it safe to assume it will only data log the parameters being displayed on the screen?

5. Is it easy to open the case and remove the PCB unit for a custom installation? Is it a reversible process?

6. When firmware updates are made and I have already purchased the units - is it possible to update it?

Thanks!

Answers:

1. The internal alert will blink the value for that parameter.

2. The external alert only monitors Oil Temp and Oil Pressure. It is an open collector output, which will ground the alert output pin when active. This could be used for an LED or buzzer. See the user manual for the EA1: http://www.brockwayengineering.com/manuals.html

3. If you wanted to add an external ECT, then you could use the EOT sensor and selection. Then you could get your external alert for it too.

4. The DGauge continuously streams the data collected and outputs the data via a CAN interface on the back. It's the small flush connector in the lower left corner. We are working on a handheld SD card recorder but don't have an ETA of when it will be ready.

dgauge_back.jpg

5. It is very easy to open the case. 4 screws on the back.

6. Firmware updates are administered buy us, so you would have to send the unit back. This is done via the data port on the back. At some point we will offer updates that con be done by the customer with the SD card recorder. No ETA of when that feature will be ready.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

For the built-in parameter alert, would having a feature to have these trigger the external alert also be something that may be added via a firmware update in the near future, or do you think it won't happen based on technical limitations?

For the data logging, is there an off the shelf product we can use to data log? Not too familiar w/ this, sorry...

Finally, for the firmware updates, would this be a free service for people that buy your unit as long as we ship it back to you?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply!

For the built-in parameter alert, would having a feature to have these trigger the external alert also be something that may be added via a firmware update in the near future, or do you think it won't happen based on technical limitations?

For the data logging, is there an off the shelf product we can use to data log? Not too familiar w/ this, sorry...

Finally, for the firmware updates, would this be a free service for people that buy your unit as long as we ship it back to you?

Thanks!

The external alert could possibly be reconfigured, but it would require work on the user interface, which could take some time.

Anything that will log CAN data will work. The AEM AQ-1 comes to mind.

Firmware updates are free.

Thanks - does the Dgauge come with the cable for the CAN output? The 8-pin connector on the lower left corner doesn't look something that AEM or anyone else has a cable for.

Thanks - does the Dgauge come with the cable for the CAN output? The 8-pin connector on the lower left corner doesn't look something that AEM or anyone else has a cable for.

No, but we can make you a cable.

Last edited:
Great - the cable would terminate in a serial (com) cable that can just be hooked up to a PC for datalogging, w/ standard obd2 output? What would the required turnaround time be for this cable, assuming it's not something you guys have lying around in inventory?

Also, how much would this additional option be? If you don't want to post the price please PM me.

Thanks!

Great - the cable would terminate in a serial (com) cable that can just be hooked up to a PC for datalogging, w/ standard obd2 output? What would the required turnaround time be for this cable, assuming it's not something you guys have lying around in inventory?

Also, how much would this additional option be? If you don't want to post the price please PM me.

Thanks!

The custom cable is $27. It's just to connect the CAN data port on the DGauge to whatever data acquisition system you have. So, you need an acquisition system that has the ability to log CAN data.

I would also be interested in the ability to output to RCA. Something similar to the HKS CAMP2 and the Blitz systems. The HKS has a bunch of ECO and Power stuff that doesn't work with the NSX so it's kind of a waste but it looks good. Not to mention full throttle only shows 86%. Yours could have the full display like you have it now with just a RCA cable coming out but then the issue comes with how you control it. My 2 cents.

IMG_4456.jpg

photo4.jpg

Back