• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Diablo 3 announced

4 years after I first created this thread, it's finally almost ready to ship. Release date is May 15

Well thats Blizzard for ya. I'm half glad they stuck to their "not-going-to-release-until-it's-done" guns but it's been too long in between sequels for this franchise. I wonder how well it will be received. Starcraft2 felt like a firecracker when it came out. I have conveniently scheduled some warranty home repairs/time off for May 16th and 17th. :biggrin:

On a side note I finally got around to making my eBotd CB (ethereal Breath of the Dying Colossus Blade if the acronyms weren't hard enough to remember already) for my merc about 3-4 months ago!

Haven't played video games in ages but I went ahead and dl'd the Diablo III beta. Massive file, I'll be able to finish the maintenance on the RC51 before it's done.
IaXisoMeGa#1210 is my "Battle tag;" whatever that means.

Last edited:
It was about a 4GB download and it installed overnight, but... Bashiok wasn't kidding. Tried to get in here and there this morning when I'd walk by my computer, but error 37 every time. Looks like they capped it at around 185,000 users for now.

In the meantime, check out Path of Exile. It was apparently written by a bunch of gamers tired of waiting for D3. It's pretty much DIablo 2 "Plus" right down to the fonts used. It's incredibly good, just really bad timing for these guys. Nothing like just wrapping up a Diablo-like game when Diablo 3 FINALLY it just about to ship. It's a free to play game that's in beta but I think they're letting almost anyone in.

got about 15 minutes in earlier today, but was trying to keep up with a party that was clearly experienced, so didn't have time to stop and smell the roses and see what my witch doctor could do.

This game is going to be nuts... Anyone here on d2jsp as well? (or maybe cc-comp for you realllllllllly old school d2 players) ;)

D2 used to be my life around 2003... ah the goodole days. Cow runs... Pindleskin runs, Diablo runs. Glad to see a few fans in here!

D2 used to be my life around 2003... ah the goodole days. Cow runs... Pindleskin runs, Diablo runs. Glad to see a few fans in here!

This game consumed my life for about 7 years before I quit... :frown:

finished the beta. killed the big dude at the end of the act. i dunno, something is missing. or maybe i've changed. i was addicted to D2 for a few years, it was my escape when i was going thru a really bad period. now i'm like eh.... no big urge to buy it when it's out. not a bad thing i guess, i don't have time and if i did have time, there's better things to be doing.

finished the beta. killed the big dude at the end of the act. i dunno, something is missing. or maybe i've changed. i was addicted to D2 for a few years, it was my escape when i was going thru a really bad period. now i'm like eh.... no big urge to buy it when it's out. not a bad thing i guess, i don't have time and if i did have time, there's better things to be doing.

I have a feeling I've changed too and wont find it as engaging as it used to be but nonetheless I'm going to give it about 2 weeks of free time. :wink:

I hear you on this one. But even back in 08 when first heard about Diablo III being in the works, I played it again, but was not drawn to it anymore..

I used to have super stacked characters on non-ladder with a bunch of ladder only items. (Infinity on my polearm Merc, "Grief" on smiter-din).. etc etc. I let it all expire.. and getting back to that point was demotivating... lol

Played D2 on and off for awhile... killed diablo a bunch of times *shrug*

Spent a few years inside counterstrike (used to run servers, make maps, etc)

Stoked to hear that D3 is finally being released, the videos a few years ago were pretty cool

Last edited:
I enjoyed the beta this weekend. I was able to get to lv9 on my Monk. I'm happy with the changes and implimentations that they've made while still keeping to their roots but I expected to see more industry shattering things that would have taken this game beyond simple "sequel status" with an updated graphics engine. Yeah, I'll get it but untill I see what the end game looks like, as of right now, I see a fancy looking D2.

I also had a good run with the game. It was a rainy Sunday here, so I just dumped some hours in to the game and maxxed out both a barb and a wizard. The barb was a bit more fun, very action based with loud shouts, flashy moves and bodies (or parts) flying around as he heaved his heavy weapons around. I can see this class being popular.

As for the wizard, he was quite good as well and could lay down some solid destruction. Lacking teleport though was a real drag.

I do feel like the game is dumbed down notably though. Rather than having a large number of mapped skills, you are essentially locked in to 4 keys and your right and left mouse button. For the beta (which only allowed you to get to lvl13) you could only use 2 of those 4, which made it even more limiting. I didn't like that very much as I liked to make use of lots of skills in D2.

Items weren't bad though. White items appear to be 100% useless as they only sold for 2 or 4G. Perhaps they will have some value later on, but I doubt it. All magic items were of some use though as you could blend them down to crafting items and in the beta at least crafted items were much better than what the average monsters were dropping. Will be interesting to see what the full version items roll out to be.

Maps were nice, you could either go for a stroll and see the sights (did that in a few single player games), or just cut to the chase and get right through it (did that in multiplayer games). Character variety is not great though as all builds get all the skills. So if there was a wizard of a certain level, you could pretty much predict the exact skills. Somewhat boring compared to the more diverse D2 builds. I suspect that there was be very little incentive to replay a character. Once you have done a wizard, you will probably have done all wizards.

anyways, enough ramble...

I beat the beta in about 2 hours... Not exactly sure how the spell setup is working. I skipped the WoW world and it seems like D2 had a different setup.

The wizard seemed pretty weak, considering the barb in my group whooped some serious butt.

Back