• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Did calipers today

(revived thread)
My friend Rico wanted to paint his calipers gold, so we did them today.

Cleaned them with a brush and solvent first.

cleaning.jpg

Taped off everything.

taped.jpg

Make sure to use something like sheets for overspray.

sheets.jpg

Start painting.

afterpainted1.jpg

After it dries then peel off the tape.

afterpainted2.jpg

And "Walla". Finished.

finished.jpg

I really like how these look. I'm probably going to redo my red ones to gold tomorrow.

Mine have been done since 1999, and the car spent half a century after that as a somewhat....for lack of a better word let's say "abused" track car (although I loved her the entire time). Anyway, as you can see, the paint looses some luster, but after about15K track miles, they are still holding up well! I just used regular paint in the first tack coat, then regular paint again, mixed a little rich with hardener and reducer in the second and final coat, to produce a hard outter shell. If the exothermic heat generated during the dryign process by the extra reducer did not cook them into a hard outer shell, then the track miles did! :)

PS - Red looks sporty on a white car, but gold looks classy. To each his own.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 193
PSS - Forgot to mention the moral of the story....when using regular paint from any paint store, one can choose any color.....possibilities are endless.

Back