• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

difficult cold shifting into 4th and 5th

About my 92 stock. As a disclaimer, I have already looked at the search, nothing came back w/ re: to my question.

We came back from 2 weeks of vacation, and I noticed that the car wont go into 4th nor 5th as easily as with the other gears. No grinding or anything, just that shifting in any other gear is like a hot knife into butter, except now the 4th and 5th gear. When warmed up, it does not do this. Could my tranny be low on oil ? I do not have any transmission fluid leaks in my garage floor. I have the RedLine transmission fluid stuff in it since its 90K mile service Nov 2004 (now car has 99K). Yes the car is in snap ring range but does not excibit any symptoms as found in the FAQ.

thanks for your suggestions and help.
alex

I experience the same problem when shifting from 4th to 5th....and only when the car is not warmed up. Just takes a little more effort in shifting than in any other gears. No grinding, no strange noises, just needs a little more push to get into 5th gear. When warmed up....no problems.

I don't see any problem at all. I had this before and after tranny rebuilt with all parts new inside. Just the way it is but a good indicator for tranny oil temp. :)

Interestingly, I left the car parked in the driveway which is at a 12-13 deg angle (nose up) last night. This morning, after exiting my subdivision, when it was time to shift into 4th, the gear change felt excellent. Then fifth was great too. It kinda surprised me, really. I did a couple of third-fourth-fifth-third gear changes just to see and everytime it shifted perfectly. :confused:

I parked the car back into the garage tonight (level) and will see if that makes a difference. If it does I will try again parking it on the driveway and share back my findings.

I Grok NSX: It'd be great if you could try on your end this too and share back your results on this thread.

thanks for the replies so far.

check your master cylinder fluid level and your slave cylinder for leaks.
On the slave cylinder all you have to do is pull back the rubber cover; if you see any signs of fluids, then you have a leak.

Last edited:
Hoover said:
check your master cylinder fluid level and your slave cylinder for leaks.
On the slave cylinder all you have to do is pull back the rubber cover; if you see any signs of fluids, then you have a leak.

Big 2nd, this are always the common culprit for this problem. I just recen;y replace my friends slave cylinder.

Back