• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Difficult shifting into 2nd gear

Recently I'm experiencing having bit difficulty shifting from 1st into 2nd gear. I also feel a little grinding from 1st into 2nd ... However, after driving a bit, like 10-15 minutes, the symptom kind of goes away. I did some search and it feels similar to "clutch drag", but not 100% sure.

Anyone has experienced similar situation? Please advice on what could be done, thanks!

Check to make sure your clutch fluid is full. It is the small canister just to the right of the brake fluid. The fluid should be 1/4 inch below the edge.

Cold oil in the gearbox puts on more stress on the synchros. The gear like to be shifted slowly when cold. This is quite normal. How is shifting (grinding?) fast when the gearbox oil is hot? When did you change the transmission fluid and with what oil?

changing the tranny fluid can make all the difference in the world. make sure to only use the genuine acura white cap mtf. other mtf's do not contain the lubricants needed to lube the lsd.

I disagree, tons of people use the " cocktail "

GM Syncromesh Friction Modified trans oil.

it makes your gears feel like butter.

do a search on this stuff puts Honda's White cap to shame.

day and night difference instantly

and dont let the auto parts store tell you its discontinued either
they sell it at any GM dealership

heres the link to the other thread
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36761&highlight=friction+modified

" cocktail ingreidents " = 2 QT of GM Friction Modified and 1 QT of regular Gm syncromesh.

Last edited:
Cold oil in the gearbox puts on more stress on the synchros. The gear like to be shifted slowly when cold. This is quite normal. How is shifting (grinding?) fast when the gearbox oil is hot? When did you change the transmission fluid and with what oil?

I just completed the 30K tune up which included the transmission fluid about 2 months ago, so I don't think this is due to aged fluid ... :confused:

Shifting feels normal once the car is warmed up. No grinding feel either up-shifting or down-shifting into 2nd.

When I bought my car in early 2010, I did a lot of routine fluid changes, just so I could know that I switched everything with a fresh start. Specifically with tranny, I used the Honda MTF from the dealer...seemed exactly the same as before. And by the way, 1st to 2nd is the "notchiest" of all my gears as well...hot or cold...

anyway, this spring, I put in Royal Purple...I can honestly say it does shift smoother, and help out the notchiness. However, it is still not smooth as going from 2nd to 3rd, or so one up the line.

Warmer does seem to help a bit, but the biggest thing I sometimes catch myself is not always depressing cluth all the way to floor...I mean its just a hair above. I've tried the test many times, and fully to the floor makes it so much easier than even a fraction above...and sometimes while you are driving , talking, etc, you shift and get a bit lazy and find you are not all the way down and sure enough, its notchy. It seems like 1st to 2nd is where this is noticed the most....

Maybe just my car??

Anyway, the gears are so tight, that it seems notchy...but I like that better than sloppy...

There is no doubt though that driving on the highway for a while and then shifting in the lower gears is smoother than strictly city driving in the lower gears...

So, that would add credibility to the "warm" aspecgt you have discussed

Last edited:
OH
MY
GOSH

I was 'skipping' 2nd in my car (97 with 51k miles) when cold due to the notchiness. "Normal" I surmised, as my other car (not an Acura) does the same thing.

When the NSX was warm, no problem. All gears fine.

About to take a road trip in the car (10 hours round trip to BCS game) and got Acura store to do a service. I recommended the 'friction modifier GM" cocktail. Tech had heard of it, no problem using it.

WOWZERS. Day and night difference. Could not believe it. Had tried various other things in the other cars and NEVER had a difference like this.

Seriously, I 'cautiously' attempted to find 2nd on first run through the gears. 'Snick, snick' did it instantly. Did it again, no sweat.

This is the best, cheapest, most confidence inspiring change I've made to the car yet* . (*Short term owner!)

Recommended. Smile to my face all day long. Looking even MORE forward to my road trip!

Sounds to me like a broken snap ring---I would get that checked out yesterday as if that is the case, every minute you drive is making things worse.:eek:

Sounds to me like a broken snap ring---I would get that checked out yesterday as if that is the case, every minute you drive is making things worse.:eek:

Given your experience, I definitely understand and appreciate the warning. My car is a 97, so hopefully not the issue.

Trans shifts better than ever after the friction modifier/fluid change.

That would be an extremely rare failure, since the 97 is the 6-speed.

Given your experience, I definitely understand and appreciate the warning. My car is a 97, so hopefully not the issue.

Trans shifts better than ever after the friction modifier/fluid change.

Back