• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Direction of slotted rotors

I just put on new rotors, and I realized to front rotors are in a different direction of the rear. What is the correct direction they should be going. Slot going forward, or slot going towards rear? Do they both need to be going in the same direction?

If they are the same brand they should all be going the same way. However all brands are not alike. What really matters is the direction of the vanes inside the rotor, so they pull the air in from the center and out the rotor outer edge.

Best thing to do is drop a note where you got them and ask.

I cannot say definitively since I have seen the slots in both directions be correct.

I do not see any major issue if you need the car, to use it as is. Assuming it will be street driving with calm braking:). Obviously best if you can get it correct now, but in a pinch you are OK.

HTH,
LarryB

I thought the Slots curved to the rear.
The slots are not for collecting air, they are for dissipating it in the direction of travel at least that's what I thought.

actually the slots are to clean the surface of the pad,does'nt matter what direction,some say this way,others say that - no diff imo

I have a 99 bmw z3 with drilled and slotted going toward the rear. When I installed a set on my nsx I did them in reverse going toward the front. No difference in braking. But you should have all 4 matching in the same direction for looks.

check the manufacturer's instructions. i've seen brembo rotors that were meant to contact the pad starting on the outside going toward the inside / and my powerslot rotors say inside going out \. i'll go with whatever they used when they tested em :wink:

No offense, guys, but I get very confused when people say "slots going toward the front" or "towards the inside". I'm just not sure what that means.

Pictures ought to make it easier to visualize. With some brands, the rotor pictured below is recommended for use on the left side of the car, and with others, it's a right rotor.

powerslot-slotted.jpg

My mistake, I was actually talking about the vents.

I thought the Slots curved to the rear.
The slots are not for collecting air, they are for dissipating it in the direction of travel at least that's what I thought.

When the vent's towards the rear looks better.

Did you get a manual with the rotors? (Might be listed there)

On new Aston Martins, the slots go in different directions on the left and right sides of the car. They must use the same rotor left and right so on one side of the car the slots face "forward" and on the other side they face "backward".

That makes me think it probably really doesn't matter which way the slots face.

Back