• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

disassembly of eps computer question

I've narrowed down my eps failure to most likely one of the solid state relays in my comp. I'm in the process of taking everything apart but I'm unable to get the boards out of the case. I've been able to remove three of the five soldered in screws and all of the perimeter screws as well as the 8 screws in the middle but the board is still stuck in the case. Is it those last 2 soldered in screws that is the problem or am I missing something? I don't know what's up with those 2 stuck screws. I spent 2 hours trying to wick out the solder/push it out and all it does is just melt for a second and move around the screw :mad: I really don't want to force it out and I would rather spend $10 bucks and replace the relays to see if that fixes the problem first rather than send it out for $200. On a side note I have a bs in EE so I'm not entirely a noob to avoid a potential "you'll shoot your eye out kid" flaming :tongue:

Gently pry all the corners with a jewelers screwdriver, Ive repaired quite a few and most are stuck like this.
And if you interested I have a rebuilt core ready to ship.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm about to go back to the garage and pull the computer out again and see if I can get the board out one more time. I'm going to replace the main and fail safe relay to see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise I'll probably be sending it out for repair. I'm getting a clunk in the wheel when the unit fails and shuts off. I had it working for a couple days a week ago but now I can't move the wheel a millimeter without it clicking off.

Please keep us updated. Mine is doing the exact same thing. I was thinking along the lines of a current sensing resistor being incorrect value, not an SSR gone bad. Just haven't taken it apart yet.

Ok just got the board out. That thing was really in there! My plan is to replace both the main relay as well as the fail safe relay 1st. I've found them for a couple bucks each. I'm sure the guys above know exactly what's wrong with it but I want to have a little fun and see if I can get this thing working again myself before I cave and send it out :biggrin: The service manual suggests one of the fets or the relays for my code of 22. I figure I'll throw ~$20 at it and if that doesn't get it done, I'll send it out.

Back