• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

discount tires

has anyone every bought tires from discounttiredirect.com? and know if their shipping and service is any good?

also found good prices for

Falkzen Ziex ZE-512.. any good?
Falkzen Azenis ST115..any good?

Discounttiredirect is the internet shop for America's Tire. They always have great prices and good service. One time they couldn't beat a price I got from tirerack.com so they ended up ordering the tires from tirerack.com for me and mounted them.

I had the ST115s in 275x35x18. They were quiet, the wear rating is overrated. Good traction as well but it's fairly well known that Falken's are on the skinny side compared to other tires. I have a 17" wheel that has a 255 (same width rim) on it that looks just as wide if not wider than the 275 Falken. Not sure if I would buy them again other than that they were a good price.

I have always have had good luck with both, "Tire Rack" and "Costco".
"Costco is cheaper but you may have to wait for your (special sized) tires.
Don't buy the Falken. They suck!
I am installing a set of Michelin Pilot Sport on Sunday.
I will report my opinion when I have had a chance to build up a few miles.

YUMNA2 said:
has anyone every bought tires from discounttiredirect.com? and know if their shipping and service is any good?
Yes, yes, and yes.

YUMNA2 said:
Falkzen Ziex ZE-512.. any good?
Falkzen Azenis ST115..any good?
Like any tire, it all depends on what your particular needs and priorities are.

In general, Falken offers inexpensive tires, and they vary in terms of their characteristics.

The ZE-512 is an all-season tire:

tires_allsea_choose_09.gif

Keep in mind that an all-season tire is a "compromise", in that it provides okay performance in snow and ice (not as good as a winter tire, but not as bad as a summer performance tire), and okay performance in warm weather (not as good as a summer performance tire, but not as bad as a winter tire). Do you need an all-season tire? If your car never sees snow or frigid temperatures, then the answer is probably no.

The Azenis ST-115 is an okay summer tire:

tires_motor_choose2_11-over.gif

It is not as grippy a tire as the Falken Azenis RT-215, formerly called the "Azenis Sport", which many people think of when they hear the Azenis name:

tires_motor_choose2_13-over.gif

The RT-215 offers very good dry-road traction and handling at a bargain purchase price. The downsides are very short treadlife, decidedly inferior traction and handling on wet pavement, and heavy weight. Some sizes also tend to be larger than other brands of tire in the same nominal size.

All in all, I think there are a lot of better tires out there, including some that provide better value for the money. But before stating whether any particular tire is "good" or "bad" for your needs, you would have to state your priorities among factors such as dry traction, handling precision, wet traction, treadlife, purchase price, noise, etc.

Malibu Rapper said:
Discounttiredirect is the internet shop for America's Tire.
In much of the country, their retail stores use the Discount Tire name.

twinwillow said:
I have always have had good luck with both, "Tire Rack" and "Costco".
"Costco is cheaper but you may have to wait for your (special sized) tires.
Don't buy the Falken. They suck!
I am installing a set of Michelin Pilot Sport on Sunday.
I will report my opinion when I have had a chance to build up a few miles.

I disagree with your assesment. IMHO the Flaken GR Beta 451 and Azenis are both better in performance than Pilot Sport. I tried all of them on and off the track.

Andrie Hartanto said:
I disagree with your assesment. IMHO the Flaken GR Beta 451 and Azenis are both better in performance than Pilot Sport.
But - assuming you are referring to the RT-215 when you say "Azenis" (saying "Azenis" is like saying "Bridgestone Potenza", a name that is used on dozens of very different tires) - neither of these tires was the subject of the original post. I don't see how you can say you disagree by referring to tires other than the ones under discussion.

Anyone talking about one tire being "better" than another needs to (a) specify exactly which tire we're talking about (not just the brand, but the specific model), and (b) what is meant by "better", i.e. better dry traction, better handling, etc. You can have a tire like the Falken Azenis RT-215 that is very good at some things, but not good at all at others (as noted above). To just say that it is "better" than the Pilot Sport is meaningless (especially since the Pilot Sport is actually better than the RT-215 for treadlife and for wet traction and for weight).

how is the tread life for yokohama AVS ES 100, Falken Azenis ST-115 Tires and Falken GRB FK-451 Tires..also how is the handling in wet and dry conditions? i do a lot of daily driving and sometimes it rains..thanks

YUMNA2 said:
how is the tread life for yokohama AVS ES 100, Falken Azenis ST-115 Tires and Falken GRB FK-451 Tires..also how is the handling in wet and dry conditions?
The tread life for the ES100 is excellent. I am using them on another car, so I can't tell you how many miles you might expect with them on an NSX, but the treadwear rating is 280, vs 120 for the A022H stock tires, so the ES100 should last more than twice as long. The wet handing is also excellent. Dry handling is good - not nearly as good as the stock tires or a top-of-the-line tire like the Bridgestone S-03, but about as good as you are going to find for a dirt cheap price. Because the ES100 is a significant step down from the best tires out there, it's a good choice only for those who are willing to sacrifice a significant amount of performance in order to save money on tires.

If you want to run in auto-X, wait for the Azenis, they absolutely dominate the Street tire division.

CJ

Back