• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: Aux in, no head unit - the easiest way

Do you want to have Aux in with no head unit?
Do you want basic sound quality and volume?
Do you have stock Bose speakers?

Answer 'no' to anything? --> sorry, go search for your answer elsewhere.
Check, check, check? --> OK, let's get started.

This is a pretty simple mod, but I never found a thread where it is laid out in detail.
The key point is you MUST have your stock Bose speakers (& sub) that have the built in amps.

Here's what I used.
From Science of Speed:
1x "Aftermarket head unit - factory speakers" wire harness
1x stereo delete plate

From Monoprice.com (or Radio Shack, whatever)
1x Designed for Mobile 6ft 3.5mm Extension Cable (Monoprice product #10147)
1x 6inch 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Jack Cable - Black (#666)
2x 6inch RCA Plug/2 RCA Jack cable - Black (#663)

Total cost is about $120.

Instructions:
Wire up the SoS harness adapter and the other audio cables as shown in the pic.
-Tape off the yellow wire and the orange wire (separately). They aren't used.
-Splice the Red wire (power) and the Blue wire (antenna) together. This will turn the speaker amps on when the ignition turns on.
-The SoS harness has 4 RCAs coming out. One each for Front Left, Rear Left, Front Right, Rear Right. Use one of the two RCA 'Y' cables to connect Front Left to Rear Left. Use the other 'Y' cable to connect the Front Right to the Rear Right. This will link your car's sub channel to the door speaker channel, but keep right/left channels from your audio device.
-Take the RCA to 3.5mm 'Y' cable and connect the Right and Left sides of the harness. The 6foot cable will extend this (not shown in picture)
-Strip the end of the black wire (ground)

All that's left now is to take out the center console and old head unit, plug in the DIY harness to the car, attach the black wire to the ground, and use the 6foot extension to route the jack to wherever you want it. Turn on the car and test it out. Use tape and zip ties to wrap it up to prevent shorts or rattles. Put it back together, and that's it!

The principle here is that the signal is being supplied from the phone or other audio device and the amplification is provided by the stock Bose amplifiers that are built into the speakers. Volume can be adjusted by the device. With my iPhone, it's plenty loud at about 50% volume.

IMG_1996.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah...figure out something to do with the antenna, otherwise it's going to be up constantly! Unplug it, put in a shorty, or just completely remove it like I did.

Volume control option:

http://www.jlaudio.com/cl-rlc-car-audio-system-expansion-98117

e2ubudan.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the write up djp5, I have been wanting to do this now I have no excuse :smile:

Back