• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY Car Wash in Monterey?

Anyone familiar with Monterey know of a coin-op/self-wash car wash in the area, or even a 100% hand wash car wash?

I'm looking for a place to wash my car after my drive up from L.A., and I don't think that the NSX would make it through a regular car wash in one piece.

I haven't had much luck finding anything online, so I would certainly appreciate your input.

Thanks.

I am not aware of any. I use a mobile detailer Robert Smith 408-982-0747.
He is the BEST. He is expected to here on Thursday to do two of my vehicles.

Thanks, Steve. I had considered a mobile detailer, but being that I'm arriving late Thursday afternoon without consideration of unknown traffic conditions and would be staying at a hotel, it doesn't seem practical to schedule an appointment with one.

My other option could be to bring lots of towels and detailer spray. :D

If you wish to come my home I would be happy to have Robert set you up.
He will be working here until nearly 7PM.

Let me know if this would help you.

Thanks for the offer, Steve. :)

I've just sent an email to the hotel that I'm staying at to see what they can find for me. I'm hoping not to have to impose on anyone, but I'll let you know if my options run dry. :)

Thanks again.

Graeme

I am happy to help and if you need some help just drop me a line.

A group of us are heading from Sacramento on Thursday with an ETA around 4 PM or thereabouts to Hilton- Garden Inn in Monterey. Any options for us? What does he charge? TIA.

I have posted his number Robert Smith 408-982-0747. Give him a call as I am sure he can help you. He is a mobile detailer and is the BEST I have EVER met.

There is a DIY car wash in Seaside off of Broadway street behind the Seaside Auto Center. I wouldn't use their brushes. Also might be hard water??

Last edited:
I just called El Estero. They don't take appointments - even for 10 cars showing at the same time. Only do hand wash and charge $12.99 for a regular wash.

I have a call to Robert Smith as well.

I just called El Estero. They don't take appointments - even for 10 cars showing at the same time. Only do hand wash and charge $12.99 for a regular wash.

I have a call to Robert Smith as well.

Be careful if you go to El Estero especially if you have wide tires. Not sure if they got rid of it or not but I had a BMW that had the insides of the rear tires shredded from being on the rail system that pulls your car thru the carwash.

I doubt that our NSXs would make it through any mechanized car wash. I remember noticing that my Legend has very little clearance over the rail as it goes through the car wash. It is lowered, but considerably higher than the NSX.

That's why I'm thinking that we need a place that will do it 100% by hand.

Sorry, I wasn't aware about rails at the car wash. You might want to call and look into that first. Fran, do you know where that DIY coin op car wash is in Seaside off of Broadway?? Maybe that would be better for the NSX's. I'll look it up and get back with you guys.

Sorry, I wasn't aware about rails at the car wash. You might want to call and look into that first. Fran, do you know where that DIY coin op car wash is in Seaside off of Broadway?? Maybe that would be better for the NSX's. I'll look it up and get back with you guys.
I wasn't able to find an address, but did find a listing that states that it is on the corner of Lower Broadway and Del Monte.

http://www.festorics.org/festorics2007/sub_event_amenities.shtml

Can someone confirm?

Thanks! Looks like the one on Broadway and Del Monte it's right down the street from the Embassy Suites where I'll be staying.

My best advice is to STAY AWAY from the local car washes. They have thieves working in these places and if there is ANYTHING to steal in your car it WILL be stolen. They stole the CD changer in one of my cars and other effects in my other car. They do NOT do a good job and the have had cars stolen off there premises and have had well documented legal conflicts with clients when they refused to take responsibility.

I had brought one car there to remove some rain spots. 3 days later they told me there was no way to remove them. However, they still charged me their full price. Robert Smith removed the rain spots in less then an hour.
Robert, is a delightful guy who is as passionate about cars as we are about NSX's. I have never met anyone who takes such joy in doing the best work he can do while detailing.

Do yourself a BIG favor and follow my GOOD advice.

Folks-

Have to go along with Allen. All of the car wash places here a questionable at best and I wouldn't dream of taking by X to any of them. Chances are that all of you will have 4 inches of wax on your cars prior to coming here to the Monterey area, so I am certain a quality spray detailer like the Griot's Garage "Speed Shine," would do the trick.

Cheers-

Nev

Yes, I did read that El Estero lost at least one car to some guy who just walked up and drove off. I also read that Del Rey Car Wash is notorious for taking anything that is left in the car...locked or otherwise. :eek:

Steven Allen is right just spend a little bit more and call Pacific Auto Detailer. Like I mentioned earlier, not sure how hard the water is out there. I always wash and detail my own car.

Speaking of which, you're going to laugh, but this past July when I drove down south to the MSA meet in Orange County, I stayed at a hotel and just used their 10 gallon plastic trash can. I filled it up with hot water from the bath tub and started washing away in the parking lot at 1:00 a.m. It was quick and got all the dead flies off my car. Of course I used my own mircofiber towels and detail spray. It did not hurt my paint at all. Just use very little spray cleaner for the front. I did not want to go back and forth upstairs to get more water.

Just some crazy stuff I have done in the past. Hey, but it worked for me.

Good Luck!

One other thought, and I want to run it by the locals, would be to see if we could dosomethign with Butts Acura in Seaside. Maybe see if they would have their regular car wash guys come back around 6:00 on Thurday and Friday nights to wash our cars.

Thoughts?

FYI. Robert Smith hasn't returned my call since Sunday morning - even after dropping some names ...... back to square one.

Robert was traveling over the weekend ........ his office called this afternoon apologizing. I will connect with him tomorrow morning and give you a briefing.

He will be at my residence on Thursday, if that helps you?

Back