• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: How to convert R-12 to R-134A

As some of you may know, C-speed Racing has been helping the Honda/Acura community over the last decade with tech articles and DIY How-to articles on our website.

We've recently updated the DIY How-to articles to include the NSX!

So without further ado, for those that would like to convert their older R-12 air conditioning system to the new R-134a:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/nsx/acconversion/nsx_ac_conversion_r134a.php

Main How-to page:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Last edited:
i have converted several cars to 134 and would not recomment it. the system that is not designed for 134 will loose about 30% in cooling efficiency. there are products available now, like Freeze-12, which are designed to mimic the R12 yet not containg fluorocarbons and hence it is widely available and cheaper.

NEVER use Freeze 12!! It's propane and WILL explode is it is exposed an ignition source. Spark, flame, etc..., from a leak or while servicing.
Acura/Honda sells a conversion kit, (adapter for the new style fittings and the proper oil) but if at all possible stay with R-12.
As before it cools much better and the system was designed for R-12.

Cheers
nigel

R12 may cool better, but R134 is easy to find, less expensive, safer for the environment, and available to the DIY'er.

Besides, the article is a how-to. Converting is a matter of opinion :wink:
Sorry,:confused: just thought you'd be happier with the good stuff. Did'nt mean to ruffle feathers.

I have converted many NSX's to 134a and none have experienced diminished performance.
I did LarryB's a few years back and he says it's still blowing ice cubes

You need to make sure the ambient temp. sensors, water valve and heater door are working properly if you sytem is not leaking and still not cooling properly.

BTW freeze 12 is a blend of 134a and 142b. It is not propane.

Last edited:
I have converted many NSX's to 134a and none have experienced diminished performance. I did LarryB's a few years back and he says it's still blowing ice cubes.

That is true, mine is working fine. I know "theoretically" the R12 is better, and maybe if I lived in 100+ degree weather regularely there may be a lesser cooling effect, but it does get warm out here in the Northeast in the summer, and I do not notice any degredation from the R134.

My $.02
LarryB

i don't doubt that nsx's system is efficient enaugh to handle the conversion, as testimonials prove. other car brands did not handle the conversion well, especially here in the desert. one more reason to drive honda.
seems like you are only a set of fittings away from the solution.

Back