• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY Interior Color Stitching

Mine has contrasting stitching stock. Anyone know what year this started? It is white thread on the black leather. Still the red looks much better.

Wish someone would make a video of this.

i *think* 2002+ is when the white stitching on black oem began.

Mine has contrasting stitching stock. Anyone know what year this started? It is white thread on the black leather. Still the red looks much better.

Wish someone would make a video of this.

What size needle did you guys use... I have one like in the pic but it looks like it could be too big when I go to my car.

I don't wanna rip a stitch!

u wont tip the stitch. i bought a pack of 2 needles like that at walmart. only one size, it work just fine. i think it's a 1/2, dont remember exactly. but it works.

^^^dude, pm me your address and i'll measure and cut you some..got so much left over and no idea what to do with it..

........ It is white thread on the black leather......

Hi Dave, any chance you can post up some photos please ... I'm toying with this idea and would like to see the alternative to red .... Thanx in advance

Last edited:
Hi Dave, any chance you can post up some photos please ... I'm toying with this idea and would like to see the alternative to red .... Thanx in advance

Paul I'll try to get you some. Car is already put away but I'll get to it. It's not as nice as red

I may attempt this on my recaro PP in yellow. i just gotta work on my patience lol

I have spent arounf 12 hours so far over the Christmas period and completed the dash, hand brake and most of one door planel. The hand brake looks tricky as the original thread is very fine but I actually found this easier than the dash. You do need to have good lighting to pick up the original black thread. I spent until 11.30pm Christmas eve in the garage listening to a James Bond themed radio show, my wife thought I was mad but just got carried away.
Hopefully when it warms up a little I'll finish the job and install the Momo Tuner I have purchased (with red stitching of course) and then post some pics.

Anyone offer some alternative finishes to the red stitching ... you must of had time to complete some more interiors since January .... ;o)

I want to offer a trick I learned while stitching leather . I wore thin medical gloves , which gave a better grip and relieving the cramping of my arthritic hands . I think any dental technician would back me up on this .

for you 2002+ guys who want red contrast interior stitching..... pretty amazing results with MAGIC MARKER (not kidding)!

someone on 6spd/porsche forums posted this and i was skeptical until i checked out the links for myself. imo its pretty crazy and very easy to do.

keep in mind it only works on light stitching (2002+ nsxs). it would be perfect for the 2002+ owners that alraedy have a momo tuner (with red stitching) and swapped out seats who need to spice up the dashboard/door panels (low traffic areas) where it wont come off.

happy 'coloring' :)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-appearance/3318-leather-stitching-dyeing-2.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3406768-best-2-49-interior-mod-ever-imho.html
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/how-to-change-your-seat-stitching-color-1490375240

How long does that last for myw? If I had white stiching in my 91 that would have saved 13 hours of mind numbing(and finger numbing/stabbing)pain.

How long does that last for myw? If I had white stiching in my 91 that would have saved 13 hours of mind numbing(and finger numbing/stabbing)pain.

While I haven't (and won't be) doing it myself on the threads it states that it has held up very well.

I even bought a few rolls of red stitching as I wanted to do the Nsx stitching mod myself ... Wasn't looking forward to the labour time lol

While I haven't (and won't be) doing it myself on the threads it states that it has held up very well.

I even bought a few rolls of red stitching as I wanted to do the Nsx stitching mod myself ... Wasn't looking forward to the labour time lol

I need to try this on my seats. The red thread is faded in some spots.

do it! :)

edit - VIDEO ADDED

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bDIwWsQ37Tk?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

from reading on the corvette threads your looking at about 2 hours with the sharpie+wipe method.

this ONLY seems to work on light stitching (like dying anything else, you can dye white to black but cant do the other way around) 20 this technically should be a 2002+ mod.

I need to do this.

I need to try this on my seats. The red thread is faded in some spots.

Last edited:

Advice get some good music to listen to and take breaks.

I too want to do this, but don't know if I have the patience, lol. Wishing I had white thread in my car right now! The color/wipe method looks more up my alley.

Back