• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: Red Wrinkle Paint valve cover

Take it from us long-married guys...the wife will cut you off eventually, so why not just get it overwith? Go ahead and cook that thing!

Yes, there will be an odor, so do it while she isn't home. Open the windows to speed up the ventilation process.

Eric, aren't you double the size of your wife, if not triple? :tongue:

And for the rest of you - shame on you for dirty engines.

I pressure wash my engines every time I was the outside of the NSX & GTO.

With the engine running too.

Ya'll need to clean your engines since it looks like a homeless guy wearing a new set of sneakers and the homeless guy didn't even bother taking a shower.

This is a Japanese car and Japanese people are the cleanest in the world (they can eat raw food without getting sick - a testament to their hygiene).

Only car that is somewhat excusable for dirt are the European ones........

Ha, yeah; she's 5' @ 98 lbs to my 6'2 @ 280 lbs. :eek:

But she's still a woman.... and damn her and her jedi mind tricks! :biggrin:

50/50 right? Isn't that how the courts see it? :frown:

Depends on years of marriage doesn't it? IDK on first and last marriage :biggrin:

That's what I love about my wife, if she sees me putting a engine part into the oven or anything in that matter, she knows I have a good reason for it and doesn't ask any questions. :cool:

Hmm, I'll have to plan this out one day while she's out shopping.

Where are you guys buying this from? I don't think the local auto parts store carry this, right?

I am very interested in the VHT paint, is there anyway someone here may help get it shipped oversea?

Your assistant are really appreciated

I did some of my suspension parts with VHT wrinkle red paint and love it.
SOS toe links, Dali front bar, Dave's clamps.
1872e824-d3bd-5369.jpg

1872e824-d3d3-0657.jpg

-MSR

Just bought a spare pair of valve covers and an intake cover as well so I can do this project! I'm going to inquire about the powder coat service first and see what colors are available and pricing. If that doesn't work, I'll just paint them myself. But I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their coil covers black? I want to see pics if you have. Also, let me know if you went with flat, wrinkle, gloss, etc. I would like to paint mine black, but would love to see pics before hand if someone has already done this. Thanks in advance!

This is what i did , waited till summer , turned on gas grill , with top down & one burner on ,brought temperture up about 200 degrees ,painted valve covers with VHT sp204 ,put on top (grill closed) paint wrinkled perfect, wife loved it (she is my greatest critic== work on NSX must be perfect )she is 5'2"97 lbs Italian /Irish /Scorpio , (see govt. warnings about this breed ):biggrin:

As an aside, I like Harbor Freight for certain items but not heat guns. I've gone through two HF heat guns and both flamed out rather spectacularly after very few uses. POS.

I live 5 mins away from Harbor Freight in my town comes in handy. It is good for some things but you do get what you pay for and it is cheap.

I have 1 valve cover cooking in the oven right now.... the wife is going to be so pissed when she gets home.

I have 1 valve cover cooking in the oven right now.... the wife is going to be so pissed when she gets home.

:smile::smile::smile:buy flowers and hide the roller has paste for your safety :smile:

Got both covers done, took longer than I planned. 14 hours to remove, strip, paint, oven cure and re-install.

That rear valve cover is a mother f'r to install.

FYI, I have the JDM Red Intake Cover and the VHT isn't even close to the real Honda Red. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.

Got both covers done, took longer than I planned. 14 hours to remove, strip, paint, oven cure and re-install.

That rear valve cover is a mother f'r to install.

FYI, I have the JDM Red Intake Cover and the VHT isn't even close to the real Honda Red. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.

Don't forget to double check for oil leaks after you re install. I did each valve cover at different times and they both leaked when I first put them back on. Its a pain to line up and not have the valve cover gasket peel off.

Don't forget to double check for oil leaks after you re install. I did each valve cover at different times and they both leaked when I first put them back on. Its a pain to line up and not have the valve cover gasket peel off.

I put about 25 miles on it, so far no leaks. I re-used the gaskets too. I just made sure to clean them up real good before hand. I also used the tried and trusted "Right Stuff".

Just bought a spare pair of valve covers and an intake cover as well so I can do this project! I'm going to inquire about the powder coat service first and see what colors are available and pricing. If that doesn't work, I'll just paint them myself. But I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their coil covers black? I want to see pics if you have. Also, let me know if you went with flat, wrinkle, gloss, etc. I would like to paint mine black, but would love to see pics before hand if someone has already done this. Thanks in advance!

I would go with a flat black first to see if you like it. If not you can always try the wrinkle black on top of the flat black.

I would stay away from the gloss. Gloss on plastic never looks good.

When I did mine this weekend, I also baked mine for 1 hour at 200 degrees.

I'm waiting on my new intake plate, once I get that; I'll post full engine bay pics.

Last edited:
Back