• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you do a "walkaround" before driving?

This video scared the crap out of me. (warning: graphic). It seems like it could happen to anyone. A moment of inattention, a bit too hurried, wrong place at wrong time and then life sucks for everyone.

I probably won't do a walkaround every time I drive, but I'm going to try...

I do every time. Something I learned when I had a fleet of 200+ vehicles years ago. Required my drivers to do it, so I did it as well. It's automatic for me now.

I look around before I drive. I started doing it when I was told this story about my lawyers son. He was backing up his car and ran over his one year old child's head. The child was killed instantly. He is going to be in jail for a long time because of it. I mostly am looking to make sure there isnt some kind of small animals but I might as well check for kids while Im at. I also try to figure out what is the best way to get out of a driveway or parking lot avoiding as many people and cars as possible.

I look around before I drive. I started doing it when I was told this story about my lawyers son. He was backing up his car and ran over his one year old child's head. The child was killed instantly. He is going to be in jail for a long time because of it. I mostly am looking to make sure there isnt some kind of small animals but I might as well check for kids while Im at. I also try to figure out what is the best way to get out of a driveway or parking lot avoiding as many people and cars as possible.

He's going to jail for accidentally running over his own child? On what grounds. What's the crime? Child abuse? Manslaughter? :confused: Something doesn't jive. Besides, as if losing his own son wasn't punishment enough?

Graphic is an understatement.

Was this the drivers kid? I don't think so. The guy gets out, runs him over again because he forgot to put it in park, checks him out then WALKS AWAY!

I really wish I hadn't watched that. I've got a 3 year old boy, and although I'm very careful of his whereabouts when there is/will be a moving vehicle around, this scares the hell out of me.

He's going to jail for accidentally running over his own child? On what grounds. What's the crime? Child abuse? Manslaughter? :confused: Something doesn't jive. Besides, as if losing his own son wasn't punishment enough?

Beats me? At the time this guy wasnt in jail yet. The other lawyer of the firm told me about it. He said "he was definitely going to jail for a while". I guess I kind of jumped the gun on that one and I apologize. I never found out the outcome of his case. I was just confident that he was going to jail cause what this lawyer had to say. I dont really know to much about law so I cant answer your questions. I can answer only the one. I cant think of anything worse then losing your own child and it being all your fault. That will probably haunt him for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

Probably still get hit with negligence. :frown: Very sad. I try to do walk around's because I backed over a tool box once, but its not automatic.

On another note...Don't the BMW SUV's come standard with back up warning sensors? My buddies X5 does and if there is anything back there...beep beep beep!!!

Last edited:
Probably still get hit with negligence. :frown: Very sad.

Without having the details of the case I guess it's hard to say, but I'm still somewhat baffled as to a reasonable scenario of a guy backing over his kid would be hit with negligence; reckless or criminal. Negligence would be like leaving a kid in a hot car, while shopping. It's not like you intended to have your kid die, but you did not foresee a situation where you put the kid's life in danger. However, backing up over a kid is different. You either saw the kid and intentionally ran him/her over, or you didn't see the kid and you accidentally ran this kid over, which I don't see falls under negligence. There is no culpability, no malicious forethought, or a specific action or lack thereof putting that child in position of endangerment.

who the hell leaves a 3 year old child unattended?

I have back up cameras on my vehicles that shoe anything behind the vehicle. Very dad incident.

When I was a kid my friend roger and I were playing in the driveway and his mother ran roger legs over not once but 4 times. Roger got up and walked away without a single broken bone. Lucky!

Last edited:
The guy runs to save his car because its rolling on neutral and then slowly walks to the front to see the kid !?!?

I do a walkaround every single time. It drives my passengers nuts at times, but it's an old habit from the Army and still holds value at times. I have to make sure nothing critical has randomly fallen off my Rover :rolleyes:

As much as it hurt to watch that video I think any driver should watch is just as in eye opener as to how quickly your life can turn to shit for 1 second of inattention. I want to show it to my wife but I think it will give her nightmares.

That gave me the chills. Many lives ruined in an instant. Truly sad.

It's sad, but this happens more often than you think. My wife knows 1 parent at school who backed over her kid and broke his leg. Another parent forgot something and ran into to the house with the engine running. While in the house, her child manage to get the SUV out of park and backed into his sibling. Both parents were driving Suburbans. Luckily both kids survived with just broken bones. This reminded me of something that happened last year and I will create a new post (Don't let you kids dangle thing out of the window) as not to hijack this thread.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1358125#post1358125

Back