• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dodge charger-type taillights in nsx

11_charger_ltrear.jpg

any fabricators willing to try to make something similar to this (the lighting element) for the NSX?

I know the owner of a shop that does aftermarket tail lights, he said if there was enough interest he would eat some of the costs to fab them.

This is a really rough draft, as I need to get to work.

ChargerLights.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I would like to see the lights conform to the outside lines of the taillights. It has always bugged me that the actual shape of the lense is ignored, even coming from the factory. I don't do photoshop, so I'm no help in showing what I mean.:redface:

I know what you mean, at night when you see the lights on and the horns on the upper corner gets reflected with the 3rd brake light on, it looks kind of like the nozzle of a jet engine. Since the car was inspired by a F16 it looks like a single exhaust nozzle.

Kinda like this picture but with the oem wing where the led goes straignt across

tailsjpg.jpg

evof575gtc I hope you don't mind me using your picture.

Last edited:
I know the owner of a shop that does aftermarket tail lights, he said if there was enough interest he would eat some of the costs to fab them.

This is a really rough draft, as I need to get to work.

ChargerLights.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I don't know if I love it or I hate it... LOL... I think I'm leaning more toward love it... I'm just so used to the factory look :rolleyes:

attachment.php

I was thinking something like this. Sorry for the poor gimp work. :redface:

It looked better in my head. This looks a little too batman for me. But i'm sure some will love that.

Attachments

• ChargerLights.jpg
    ChargerLights.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,623
attachment.php

It looked better in my head. This looks a little too batman for me. But i'm sure some will love that.

I think that would look better if the entire center was reflective so when someone is behind you, it would look like a afterburner.

attachment.php

I think you are on the right track, but delete the "ears" and make it more like the first pic, only following the shape of the car more - basically round off the sharp corners and it'll look great.

I think what Angus said was good by round off the corners. As well the charger only has two lights I like that better becasue it shows more black and then on the top area where it looks like Batman since this car is red I would paint that red up in those area's.

just my 2 cents!

The Dodge Charger tail lights have shape. This pic is a square. I still think an outline of the tail lense would look better, especially when the 3rd brake lights up.

nope the 02+ light look way better. I dont know it takes me years of looking at something to change my mind LOL

hard headed I guess

all are very promising, but is it possible to just skip the plastic lenses and make an ad hoc carbon fiber piece that replaces the plastic? Then inlay the LED array?

Also, a lot of cars (BMW, Audi) use LEDs, but have some sort of fiber optic strip on top of them so the light is a consistent "strip" instead of individual LEDs. I always think that looks much nicer, and probably requires fewer LEDs as well.

I agree with you Ksxnsx, i love the look with the optical strip. The only down however it would be considerably more expensive then doing it all LED. As far as doing a carbon fiber sheet and then inlaying some lights it would not really be able to match the charger style. Round or square lights would be easiest to inlay, it would look like the rear on the veilside NSX. Which honestly looks pretty cool. I'm actually surprised non of the vendors have offered a carbon fiber light asembly.

that was exactly what i was trying to describe too, but when you hit the brakes the entire center lights up.

Last edited:
so whatever happen with this idea?

The original Dodge Challenger concept car had LED's all the way across the entire tail, and the entire thing lit up on braking. In other words, every square centimeter of the tail lit up.... and several magazines commented on how neat that was.

I was, for a long time thinking that would look very cool on an NSX with the shape of its tails, and looked hard into creating such a thing. That would require a single piece of red plastic mold, with no trunk keyhole, no emblem, no clear plastic for reverse lights, and LED's in the "wings" on the ends... stock LED wing that ties the wings together.

Then what you'd have is an entire tail that could be filled with LED's and the entire thing would light up on braking. But this idea just had too many obstacles. Unless someone re-engineers the whole plastic assembly, it ain't going to happen.

You guys are drawing up things but tell me who is going to move the reverse lights and create new reflectors that make for an even look all the way across?

Right now the most reasonable (and very worthwhile) upgrade from the old looking tails is the GTC look that can be had for a minimum of work, keeps the NSX still looking like an NSX but with a modern touch, and doesn't cost a lot to do. I think the rest of these designs are pipe dreams.

Last edited:
Back