• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does a 100K+ drive similar to a 30K+?

(For the reason I am posting this and my life story, please see my post in the wanted section)

Does a NSX with 100K+ drive similar to a lower mileage one?

I used to drive an accord with 172K and it really drove much like a new car, similar to the accord with 23k that my wife had when she was working. My 89 rx7 turbo has 138K on the chasis and it still feels very tight but my winter car 88 celica alltrac turbo with 100K definitely does not. I have also driven cavalier rental cars with 15K that felt more like 200K.

Any advice is very helpful to me as I have never even had the pleasure of driving an NSX myself.

You know the answer. It's not so much the car as how well the car was taken care of. I have stories similiar to yours and from my experience the deciding factor has always been how well the vehicle was taken care of.

You find a great condition 100K+ NSX of course it will be similiar.

Hondas hold up well. My '91 CRX with 145K on the clock is in better shape than many cars with half the mileage.

Comp_Lite_Front.jpg

Your certainly right, the quality of maintenance is probably number one. But I do think some cars hold up better than others. I know my celica was very well maintained and it is still a little junkie, I am friends with the mechanic at the dealership that maintained it. I guess I am curious about whether the quality of components hold up as well as an accord, not to sound insulting to the NSX ( I would never...) but sometimes the candle that burns twice as brightly burns half as long! There are reliable cars and there are cars that also maintain their quality feel. Has anyone driven a NSX that felt tired? (engine or suspension)

This is an interesting question. Thanks for posting it, rotaryjunky. :smile:

My feeling is that the quality of design in the NSX is so embedded that it would take a hell of a beating to wrench it out of it. And since most owners take care of their cars, I think the typical 100k+ mile NSX would feel nearly identical to a 10k mile NSX. JMO.

My dad really likes renaults. He always says his Le car was a good car and that they got such a bad rep because people who were poor enough to drive around in a cardboard box (I'm adding my own opinion here) don't have the money or maybe the knowledge to maintain the car.
Almost all NSX's are probably well kept because their owners cherish them. Still though, has anyone driven perhaps a salvage car that was feeling a little rough around the edges?

I still think the le car was a pretty crappy car.

The ONLY thing I would be concerned about would be the shocks, if they're original. By 100K+ miles, their handling might not be quite as crisp. "Well maintained" implies replacing the shocks when they need it. However, not all owners recognize when shocks need replacing; if you wait until it's really obvious, you've probably waited to long.

Other than that, the NSX should "age" as well as any car on the road.

nsxtasy said:
The ONLY thing I would be concerned about would be the shocks, if they're original. By 100K+ miles, their handling might not be quite as crisp. "Well maintained" implies replacing the shocks when they need it. However, not all owners recognize when shocks need replacing; if you wait until it's really obvious, you've probably waited to long.

Other than that, the NSX should "age" as well as any car on the road.

Ken, in an extreme case, I took care the car as I changed the shocks, as you suggested, but I changed the springs as well :tongue: Tein RA :rolleyes: So now My nsx doesn't feel like the same solid nsx any more... (I believed I once mentioned my nsx on interstate rides as good as a shopping cart on parking lot.)

To answer the origin question, I'm going deeper to this.. I believed rotaryjunky was trying to acquire a over 100k nsx, but wondering if he should forking out more money for a 30k car. Since buying any car is an unique experience and every car had their own life with diff. driver's habit, road condition, incidents...etc. (cars with 30k miles could have seen rougher life than the one with 100k miles, ever!) I would suggest you drive as many as you want to give yourself an educated "standard" then you be the one who judge if you would like to stick with the potential 100k nsx...

Assuming the cars were both driven on fairly smooth roads, not rough dirty roads or anything, the car should drive almost identically. Like Ken said, the only real factor would be the shocks. I have driven low mileage NSX's, and own two NSX's with 'higher mileage' and they are practically the same.

I took my car in for service and there was a NSX there getting its regular maintenance with 230K miles. According to the mechanic, the engine drives just like a brand new engine.

These cars are just increditable. Of course if you abuse the car and don't give it the proper maintenance, the car will wear faster.

speed400 said:
Dave Hardy- What type of wheels are those on your CRX in that pic? Do they make them that would go on a NSX? :cool:

thanks,

Bill

They are ATS Comp Lites in slate gray. They are light - the 15 x 7 is only about 12 lbs. They make them in 17" and they make them in 5 x 114, but I don't know if the offsets are right. I got mine from discount tire, might be worth calling them to see. Glad you like them.

You guys have been extremely helpful. Its one thing to guess at these things but it so much better to hear it from those with experience. And I know I should probably drive a bunch of cars before I decide, but I probably wont be able to since I live in such a remote area. I have only seen one NSX here in nine years. I have to loiter at the NSX at the Detroit auto show to get my fix. What will I do next year! Anyone want to vacation in northern Michigan? We have a guest room. :smile:

let me slip you another feature of nsxprime community...

If you find a car, try post here for help and see if there's anyone locally would like to check it out for you. A handful of us don't mind test-driving for someone else. :)

The chassis of the NSX is so well constructed, I liken it to a modern airframe. As long as the parts that wear are maintained and replaced when necessary there is no reason the car shouldn't feel as new for as long as you own it.

How can you guys compare a new car to a used car like this? Maintanance is important, but the key issue here is that THINGS WEAR OUT. Bushings, chassis wear, etc etc....

Obviously a car with age isnt garbage, but its definately lesser than a new NSX.

old_S13 said:
THINGS WEAR OUT. Bushings, chassis wear, etc etc....
SOME things wear out. SOME things don't.

SOME things take a long, long time to wear out. SOME things wear quickly enough that you can feel the need to replace them.

A properly maintained NSX is one for which the things that make a difference are replaced when needed - in which case, it should drive like a new car.

P.S. "Chassis wear"? :rolleyes: Can you be less specific, please? :D

I also think some cars were designed to be "throw aways" and some were designed with the makers pride in mind. You can choose to use $10 fuel pumps good for 100K or $12 ones good for 300K (fictitious example). My brother in law does this for GM, guess which ones they buy. The amazing thing for me is how well the cheapest honda's drive much like a new car after 170K.

this is kind of related to the topic, but in a little different scenario.
how does a 91 with 50k miles drive compared to lets say a 98 with 50k miles, considering they are both stock and maintained well. I know there is a power increase but besides that, what is the comparison in ride and handling etc.

lets say if you get a regular nsx-t, (Coupe is very little and probably very hard to find in later years) You will feel a stiffer chassis with the coupe, power steering vs none, twin plate clutch vs single... etc etc.

Thanks, I am probably going to be going with the pre 94 just because of price, and it sounds like there are few meaningful sacrifices with buying an older one versus a new one, especially when the budget is an issue.

Back