• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does Acura charge to fix rattles and creaks?

I don't know if any of you are having the same problems, particularly on the earlier model years. But I have an especially annoying creaking thats coming from somewhere on the passenger side. I've tried to find the source but can't seem to do it. I really want to fix the problem but other than taking apart the whole cabin and putting it back together, I don't see much of a solution. So I'm thinking of taking it to Acura and having them do it. Any thoughts?

There is a section in the service manual that describes fixes for squeaks. The dealer does this as part of their service. Whether they charge or not depends on if your car is still under warranty. I had a squeak that only happened below 40 degrees on certain roads. Took them two days to find it. They had to remove and reinstall the divider window. I chalked it up to the fact that my Zanardi had the single pane glass divider. I've would have hated to cover the hours it took to find that one.

[This message has been edited by Chuck (edited 17 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Darkcyd:
I don't know if any of you are having the same problems, particularly on the earlier model years. But I have an especially annoying creaking thats coming from somewhere on the passenger side. I've tried to find the source but can't seem to do it. I really want to fix the problem but other than taking apart the whole cabin and putting it back together, I don't see much of a solution. So I'm thinking of taking it to Acura and having them do it. Any thoughts?

I have the SAME problem. How old is your car? Mine's a 94' I've taken apart the internal trim, and am now pretty sure its either the frame squeaking or something in the engine bay.

Mine is a 93. I think its because I drive the car hard that these problems have occurred. It doesn't surprise me at all. But I am looking to fix them. =)

One's that I can discern...

When starting up the car, on occasion when it is warming up there will be a slight rattle from the panels separating the cockpit from the engine bay. This goes away after awhile.

This is some sort of creaking noise coming from the passenger side... sounds like either the speaker area or somewhere inside the door panel. Alternatively, it may be the panels on the dash near the windshield. It's hard to tell.

I also wanted to reinstall the ceiling panel because it's popping. Can that be done on your own with new brackets or no?

Mine is an 01 and it creaks from the passinger side.. Some of it may be the roof panel. but there are slight rattles and noises that come from elsewhere; maybe the seat. It's not so bad that I'm going to make an issue of it yet, but it definatly is not as solid and rattle free as my Acura CL type S.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Originally posted by mikec:
It's not so bad that I'm going to make an issue of it yet, but it definatly is not as solid and rattle free as my Acura CL type S.

There is no reason that it shouldn't be as rattle free as your CL. As long as the T-Top is lubed properly, nothing else should rattle. One of the noises that is more common, is the squeaking of the leather seats. I believe the manual suggest soap as a lubricant.

[This message has been edited by Chuck (edited 17 November 2002).]

I had a squeak/vibration that sounded like it was from the passenger side. With a passenger in the car we tracked it down to the rear view mirror.

I also had a squeaking sound in the passenger area of my '97-T. I found that it was coming from the dash, where it come in contact with the bottom of the window-frame.

I used Zaino "leather-in-a-bottle" liberally on the dash (use whatever you typically use on the interior), and it seemed to help. You have to reach in to the bottom of the windshield, and apply a fair amount....hope this helps!

------------------
Steve
Formula Red '97-T

Hrm... thats an interesting idea. In my investigation, I also found that it seemed as though the sound was coming from the contact between the very front of the dash where the vents are for the window and the window itself. I will definitely go give it a shot with the extra cleaner.

I've some metal "cranking" sound when I brake especially braking at an inclined angel. from passender side front..I told Acura to check it last time.. apparently they forgot..

I have the dash/windshield creak/buzz on my '91, and it appears to be a fairly common NSX noise, but while trying to localize it, I found out that there was another buzzing noise heard at 60 and up coming from the same direction as noted from the driver's seat.

It was not a noisy rear view mirror, as some have had, but turned out to be the pushbuttons on the courtesy/maplight panel. I pulled out the pushbuttons, and wrapped a small rubber band around the perimeter of the posts that hold the pushbutton in place, but use whatever works for you.

I would say the dash noise is generated because the dash is mostly secured by bolts at the outer ends, leaving the area at the windshield supported on pins.

Regards,

Bill

I agree. The dash doesn't seem particularly well-secured at the very back. I think mine may be a little loose after the audio guys got in there to do their tinkering. Anyone know of a DIY dash removal and reinstall?

I don't have my Service Manual here, but if you go by the book, it is a lot of tedious work to get all the way to actually removing the dash, and I mean the car needs to be nearly gutted(see Dash Removal in the Body chapter). Taking the bolts out of the ends will still leave some fasteners in the middle, which are only accessible with the trim removed. It is conceivable that you could shove some felt into the crevice between the dash and the mating piece holding the pin sockets, using a putty knife. Certainly way less involved than dash disassembly, even if you loosen the end bolts to get a little play. Be warned that normal dash removal involves removing many things, even the glove box, steering column, radio, clock, CCU, and much more, so don't try to move the loosened dash by more than a small fraction of an inch.

If felt is not your thing, then maybe you should try the leather/vinyl treatment route as mentioned in this thread, and in the FAQ, if I remember.

Here's to a quiet dash for you....

Regards,

Bill

Yep, I had the same problem with the dashboard creaking, if you were to grab the
lip of the instrument cluster and wiggle it you could definetly hear it and I traced it down to the edge of the dash where it butts up to the defroster trim piece, I was going to cut out some felt strips and slide them in between, but before I did that I looked thru the FAQ and found under the "whats that noise" section they addressed the creaking noise and someone recomended using a small squirt of WD40 along that seam between the dash and defroster trim, I tried it as described in the article and it works! the only problem I had was the little red tube kept comming off the nozzle and I got a couple of blasts of WD40 on the inside of the windshield way down where it meets with the defroster, It's going to be a pain to get all of it cleaned up, but no more creaking!!

So yes I would recommend using the WD40 method, I would also use a peice of paper or cardboard or something placed up against the inside of the windshield so if you do get overspray it won't get on the winshield.

johne

Interesting! How long does that method last for? Do you have to respray every so often?

Originally posted by Darkcyd:
Interesting! How long does that method last for? Do you have to respray every so often?

I'm not sure how long it lasts, as I just did this the other day, but I would expect it to last thru the winter, or at least for however long until I can't put up with the noise anymore.
biggrin.gif

johne

Back