• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does anybody have over 300hp naturally aspirated?

I have only seen one NSX that was supposed to have over 300HP naturally aspirated, 9000RPM Danny. Has anyone built there car up to 300-325 with good results? If so, what did you use? I am thinking higher compression, maybe 11.0-1 or even 11.5-1, engine management(advanced timing), cams, titanium retainers, port matching everything, extrude hone the intake, adjustable fuel pressure regulator(more fuel), balance and blueprint the engine and proper tuning should get me there. Anybody out there who has tried this?
Will

I am talking to a gentleman I have known for years with over 330 at the wheels NA. He runs a performance shop, dynos, etc and has a great reputation.

I'll try to get all the details and let you know - but if he says he has it and it is reliable, it might be a great way to go (depending on costs of course)

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by matteni:
I am talking to a gentleman I have known for years with over 330 at the wheels NA. He runs a performance shop, dynos, etc and has a great reputation.

I'll try to get all the details and let you know - but if he says he has it and it is reliable, it might be a great way to go (depending on costs of course)

Nick.
Interested as well, It'll most likely cost as much as doing F.I. if not more. I went this way with another car NON- NSX and the cost was more. But the reliabilty and service issues were not there at all.
That's the good thing. No paranoia about AF mixtures,ect.ect.ect.
Waiting
Len

Hi Nick,
This sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm very interested in what had to be done to get it there and what the torque curve looks like. I would rather have a little less horsepower (around 300hp) and get more torque with a flat curve.
Thanks, Will

[This message has been edited by notslow (edited 04 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by notslow (edited 04 September 2002).]

I am talking to a gentleman I have known for years with over 330 at the wheels NA.

The 330 was at the crank - not at the wheels.

He has a 3.0L motor and has many options (mostly CompTech):
- Headers
- Airbox
- Exhaust
- Chip (one he used did little, back to stock)
- 4.55 R&P
- Racing clutch
- Short gears

I was hoping there was more to it then that. BTW - his shop specializes in Turbos for Hondas and he is a dealer for many aftermarket parts and has owned 3 NSX's in the last year and he is keeping his own NA for now.

He made a BIG plug for the 4.55 R&P, short gears, clutch, non-compliance beams, and end links.

YMMV.

The 330 was at the crank - not at the wheels.

He has a 3.0L motor and has many options (mostly CompTech):
- Headers
- Airbox
- Exhaust
- Chip (one he used did little, back to stock)
- 4.55 R&P
- Racing clutch
- Short gears

I was hoping there was more to it then that. BTW - his shop specializes in Turbos for Hondas and he is a dealer for many aftermarket parts and has owned 3 NSX's in the last year and he is keeping his own NA for now.

He made a BIG plug for the 4.55 R&P, short gears, clutch, non-compliance beams, and end links.

YMMV.

330hp sounds a bit high for such basic mods. Did he have have any internal work at all?

He did blueprint the injectors, clean everything, new plugs, etc. He does do his own tuning and I "think" he may have a Hondata chip in there. I will check back.

Im currently building my nsx and I sould be at the 350 rwhp range will see what happens I'll keep you guys posted. My car made 280 rwhp with the usual I/H/E and an Super AFC.

I simply don't understand why it would be so hard to duplicate the 120 hp/l benchmark with one of these V6's. I think that torque would similarly improve if Honda would increase compression further and go with a more agressive cam. Has anyone tried this
with a NA NSX?

Originally posted by JimK:
I simply don't understand why it would be so hard to duplicate the 120 hp/l benchmark with one of these V6's.

Even though that was not achievable at the time that the NSX motor was designed? Even though you can count on one hand how many cars reach that "benchmark" today?

Then I guess you must be smarter than all the engineers at Honda. Maybe you should apply for a job there, and help show them how it can be done...

Originally posted by NosNsx: Im currently building my nsx and I sould be at the 350 rwhp range will see what happens I'll keep you guys posted. My car made 280 rwhp with the usual I/H/E and an Super AFC.

I assume the 350 rwhp you are predicting is with NOS. That doesn't really count for this discussion...

Originally posted by NosNsx:
Im currently building my nsx and I sould be at the 350 rwhp range will see what happens I'll keep you guys posted. My car made 280 rwhp with the usual I/H/E and an Super AFC.
350 rwhp in a streetable N/A all-motor would require a LOT of work -- probably a displacement increase (~ 3.5/3.6L), individual throttle bodies, cams, etc. Good luck.

[/QUOTE]
350 rwhp in a streetable N/A all-motor would require a LOT of work -- probably a displacement increase (~ 3.5/3.6L), individual throttle bodies, cams, etc. Good luck.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think 350 is a bit optimistic. I am shooting for 325, but will be happy at 300 if I can keep my torque curve flat. Anybody know how much you can bore a 3.0?

[This message has been edited by notslow (edited 06 September 2002).]

No the 350 is rwhp and N/A no nos.
I take it back -- this SHOULD be doable. The coming M3 CSL has 350 hp from a N/A 3.2L I-6 motor.... the base motor puts out around 335 hp in the E46M3 road car.

Unfortunately BMWUSA does not plan to sell it here
frown.gif

My engine is a 3.0 and its being bored out right now. Just give me a month and I'll post some numbers of the results.

There isn't much room to bore a meaningful amount, so I'm curious to know what they are doing. You would need to give up cylinder wall thickness which is a bad idea unless it includes new stronger sleeves that can get by with less thickness. Can you get us a simple description of what they are doing?

I've bored the block a little over a 3.2L and yes their's new iron sleeves, you only need 120 thousands of an inch in sleeve thickness. I'll be posting pics soon hopefully by the end of this week.

Honda went to FRM liners because they couldn't *safely* bore the 3.0L engine to 3.2L's back in 1997. Boring your engine to over 3.2L's would mean your Cylinder wall thickness is less than 2mm...pretty damn small if you ask me...Certainly too small for Honda to think it was reliable.

As for being *safe*. I know JUN has a Cigh Compression Piston set that has a 0.5mm Overbore. Thats the most I've seen...

I wouldn't be surprised if your engine on NOS sucks the head gasket in...or blows it out..whichever, especially at near redline.

From 1992 to 2002 import high performance parts have advanced like crazy. Who would ever think a honda civic would lay down 800frhp. When you bore yes the sleeves get weaker but that why they put iron sleeves inside your original sleeves. And for the head gasket, Im using a cometic head gasket their suppose to handle 54 pounds of boost and they don't require o-ringing the block or retorqing the heads. Like I said I'll post some pics soon.

Back