• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does China deserve to host the olympics?

Anyone remember the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland? The one that caught on FIRE!:eek:

I read some article in a tech magazine or e-newsletter or something this week saying that anyone bringing a laptop or any other tech device to China should bring a clean one, otherwise to make sure everything is encrypted and to NEVER leave it unattended. It also mentioned that "chinese state security" or whatever it's called has installed network sniffers at all major hotels that will service attendees there for the Olympics.

FUD factor stuff? Who knows........

I read some article in a tech magazine or e-newsletter or something this week saying that anyone bringing a laptop or any other tech device to China should bring a clean one, otherwise to make sure everything is encrypted and to NEVER leave it unattended. It also mentioned that "chinese state security" or whatever it's called has installed network sniffers at all major hotels that will service attendees there for the Olympics.
Reminds me of another country I know of.
The Bush administration got telecom companies to break the law to spy for them. Democrats in Congress rolled over and agreed to immunity.

From an article published yesterday:
Investigators don't have to suspect illegal activity in order to read people's e-mail, examine their photographs, and find out what Web sites they have visited when they enter the United States with laptops or other electronic devices, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said recently.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/government/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209903432

good stuff, thanks for the replies that dont agree with my what just think, maybe i got out of hand when i origionaly posted:redface: lol but i do enjoy reading/learning from other peoples perspectives, and no doubt that orange river was probably photochoped like most pictures are these days, like an orange river turned brite flaiming orange yes we know its photochopped to an extent.

and the whole "china be hacking the electronics" lou dobbs talks about china hacking into us government computers quite often, so its no suprise

I think this is the perfect time for China to host the Olympics.

China has an abyssmal record on human rights violations, the environment, labor problems (child labor, sweatshops, etc.), Tibet, freedom -- the list goes on.

Having the Olympics there will shine a bright light on the situation for the entire world.

and the whole "china be hacking the electronics" lou dobbs talks about china hacking into us government computers quite often, so its no suprise

Lou Dobbs:eek::eek:

Lou Dobbs:eek::eek:

the one and only! you know, the guy who senator obama has called out multiple times for being a hate mongerer(sp?) and calling him one of the reasons for hate crimes on mexicans:rolleyes:

lou dobbs is pretty hard core when it comes to un bias news, and i also like the fact that they show stories on there that nobody else covers

So? That's no argument.. on entry to the US chances to get your laptop confiscated and never see it again is pretty high, if you're lucky you see it again after your whole data is copied and looked through. Oh and if it's encrypted you're asked to tell the passworts, they'll hand it to private companies to translate and decrypt it anyways..

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to think they know a lot about this place, many of which have probably never been.

I just got back from china a couple weeks ago. The pollution pictures are extremely missleading, especially in Beijing. All the pictures you posted are what it looks like in the rainy season when the clouds are low and produce a fog. The next day it will be clear as day but no one wants to show those pictures. I could not care less if people think China is polluted or if it actually is, but when people just post pictures of the cities when it's foggy and say it's like that all the time it's nothing short of bull $hit. Out of the week I stayed in Beijing 3 days were cloudy/foggy and 4 days were perfectly clear and I had no indication there was above average pollution.

The industrial cities, usually more towards the west, are the heavily polluted ones, not beijing. lanzhou, xi'an, and tianjing to be more specific.

We talk a lot of mess about China while the rest of the world thinks we are trying to take over the world helpless country at a time in the name of oil. We use up over 1/4 of the world's resources with 4% of the population. It goes both ways so personally I hesitate to judge what I might not understand.

Talk about elitist behavior, worst I've seen on prime by a significant margin. I wonder how we'd react if chinese people said we didn't 'deserve' to host the olympics. Laughable.

And to claim they haven't handled their economic boom responsibly... is this a joke? "Handle" their economic boom? They are worried about people not starving to death or getting sticks and having a 1.3bn people civil war all while maintaining the best and most consistent GDP growth in history for a decent sized country [aka taiwan/sk don't count], much less the most populated one. The audacity of some of these people is astounding..

where in china did you go and what did you do?

thanks for clearing up some of this, theres nothing i would like more than to be more enlightened, and what other place can you get the most varied insights besides the internet,

and if people would say the us doesnt deserve the olympics ever that would not even put a ding in this countrys armor, hell even some US citizens think that president bush should be impeached and convicted of war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.

also, my family has hosted a few exchange students from china over the years(not really exchange, they have just come for a couple months over the summer time, young highschool age kids) and ive always like learning first hand about thier way of life, culture, etc

A lot of people seem to think they know a lot about this place, many of which have probably never been.

I just got back from china a couple weeks ago. The pollution pictures are extremely missleading, especially in Beijing. All the pictures you posted are what it looks like in the rainy season when the clouds are low and produce a fog. The next day it will be clear as day but no one wants to show those pictures. I could not care less if people think China is polluted or if it actually is, but when people just post pictures of the cities when it's foggy and say it's like that all the time it's nothing short of bull $hit. Out of the week I stayed in Beijing 3 days were cloudy/foggy and 4 days were perfectly clear and I had no indication there was above average pollution.

I totally agree.....I spent 7 days in Beijing during the month of November in 2006 and it was not as polluted as people make it out to be.

Cheers.

yes, china "deserves" to host the olympics as much as any other country "deserves" to hold the olympics.

It will all work out in the end. Besides, maybe Tibet is part of China.

I'm happy that Texas executed a Mexican national yesterday. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

:wink:

You can't let the second most power nation in the world host F1 races but not the Olympic.:biggrin:

Leave the politics behind and enjoy the sports.

The industrial cities, usually more towards the west, are the heavily polluted ones, not beijing. lanzhou, xi'an, and tianjing to be more specific.

We talk a lot of mess about China while the rest of the world thinks we are trying to take over the world helpless country at a time in the name of oil. We use up over 1/4 of the world's resources with 4% of the population. It goes both ways so personally I hesitate to judge what I might not understand.

Talk about elitist behavior, worst I've seen on prime by a significant margin. I wonder how we'd react if chinese people said we didn't 'deserve' to host the olympics. Laughable.

And to claim they haven't handled their economic boom responsibly... is this a joke? "Handle" their economic boom? They are worried about people not starving to death or getting sticks and having a 1.3bn people civil war all while maintaining the best and most consistent GDP growth in history for a decent sized country [aka taiwan/sk don't count], much less the most populated one. The audacity of some of these people is astounding..

Yes.

voice of reason

werdxo6.gif

I think this is the perfect time for China to host the Olympics. ... Having the Olympics there will shine a bright light on the situation for the entire world.

I agree with this, too. Hopefully, this will result in China adjusting some of its most harmful policies in a more reasonable direction.

Last edited:
Some may change their opinions after watching on ABC tonight at 10PM. Bob Woodruff special "China Inside and Out".

where in china did you go and what did you do?

thanks for clearing up some of this, theres nothing i would like more than to be more enlightened, and what other place can you get the most varied insights besides the internet,

and if people would say the us doesnt deserve the olympics ever that would not even put a ding in this countrys armor, hell even some US citizens think that president bush should be impeached and convicted of war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.

also, my family has hosted a few exchange students from china over the years(not really exchange, they have just come for a couple months over the summer time, young highschool age kids) and ive always like learning first hand about thier way of life, culture, etc

I went all over. I flew in to Beijing from Newark, then took an overnight train a few days later to Shanghai. After that I took a day train to Hangzhou and a few days later another day train to Nanjing. That one was fun because we had to buy standing tickets in order to get to our meeting on time in Nanjing. After walking all day I had to stand up the entire time on a 4 hour train ride. It was nice though since you get to talk to the 'real' people on those sorts of endevours, instead on a little more expensive 'kuai huoche' which is the 'fast trains' I usually ride on.

I really like it over there and may work over there in the near future. Admittedly I speak basic chinese and have studied china, but I feel I fit in over there just as good as in the U.S. People aren't as focused on stupid crap like wearing make up all the time or freaking out just because you actually have to stand outside of A/C for 3 minutes. No tipping is nice and since penalties are so steep there is almost no crime in major cities. People actually respect their elders and begging/complaining is looked down upon sharply. The only bums you see over there that actually ask for money usually have some horrendous conditions or at the mininum completely blind. For desert they eat a few peices of watermelon and most of their alcohol is between 2-3.5%. Everytime I come back to the states, especially in a New York airport from asia, it's a little revolting to see all these 450lbs people waddling around. Odd how they are the 3rd world but we can't even keep ourselves from getting obese.

As for what I was doing it was part fun part business, as is the best case scenario for me it seems. I met with the head macroeconomic advisor for the zhejiang province and the man responsible for 'funding allocation' which means if you have a big project you need done you are going to have to talk to this guy. I only have a tiny microscopic part in it, but a good friend of mine's father is trying to get servicing rights on a potentially the biggest wind energy project in the world that is in the making in China right now. Not sure if I have the right to divulge the details at this point.

Yes, does China deserve to host the Olympic. The original poster stated this:

"i say no, at a time when the world is investing billions upon billions with that amount only going to hundreds of billions and into the trillions in the coming years china has a disgusting and wreckless way of handling thier economic boom, i will let the pictures do the explaining. (some how, a photoshop photo was used)

this has been on my mind the las few days/weeks, and ive been looking for good old fashioned "made in america" products and sad to see that those are rare.

and ofcourse chinas infamous humanatarion record"

His objection has NOTHING to do with the word "deserve." When you quote some one, you need to quote the entire thing if the entire post is related.

This is just another Save Tibet, or the don't drill because of the Polar bear BS. Let's join the movie stars at their protest so Tibet can be free even though they have absolutely no ability to sustain as a country, or we should not drill in Alaska because it's bad for the polar bears, even though the economy is suffering; however, we will only protest when the weather is good!!! Let's applause/embrace what Obama tells us, ride your bike to work, or Chuck Schumer idea of stay home and not go out until we figure out alternative source of energy, or Pelocy's accusation regarding two oil man in the white house couldn't solve our energy crisses when her posse voted no on every energy related bills since the early 1990's.

This is a perfect example of people who believe the materials they read and join the wagon without thinking both sides. If you have been to China and have not witness every thing first hand, you CANNOT tell people what others have told you. It's telling people how a car drives when you have never driven one.

if a country can properly host this event without having to compromise athlete's safety, and be able to judge the game fairly, other unrelated issues shouldn't matter.

This thread also mentions "made in the USA" is a big deal and yet he is driving a Japanese car. I would like to think if a person has a strong believe, he/she should excercise it 100%. Consumer in general will flock to value buys, if USA cannot be competitive with manufacturing, they will loose. As a service oriented country, China on the other hand, cannot compete in that sector. There is a trade off, they buy our computer software, we stock up the shelfs of K Mart with Chinese made every day junk.

This is just as bad as Obama telling the folks during a speech how we should all learn Spanish and be bilingual and him self can only speak English.

Have you even seen/heard the liberal Europeans often use pictures of Katrina aftermath to tell their people how the US is a third world country like? This is identical.

By presenting the post with selective photos (photoshop), either the author of bought the agenda, or he is part of the agenda.

we'll have to agree to disagree, free speech and all that, something china doesn't allow.:smile:

we'll have to agree to disagree, free speech and all that, something china doesn't allow.:smile:

LMAO again!!!

Please define freedom of speech.

According to you, they can't talk shit, but they have F1 races, International trade center, THE largest Ferrari meets in the world (with Chinese owners), and the largest retail market in the history of civilization.:confused::confused::confused::biggrin:

By the way, they do have Internet too available to all citizens who can afford it.

I don't really want to use the word ignorant again... but....:rolleyes:

If you ever have a chance, take a vacation in China. You'll be surprise how different it is from description by CNN.

ferrari_dealer.jpg

2005-ferrari-china.jpg

272526467_00cf3033cf.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nNUjClVr6xs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nNUjClVr6xs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

McCarthyism still lives... I guess.

Last edited:
I am so disappointed to see the anti-Chinese sentiment reach NSXPRIME. It's nothing but racism, nationalism and xenophobia coming from hypocrites who have little understanding of objectivity, history and politics.

Pollution in LA:

LA-smog-1.jpg

la-smog.jpg

LA in 1943:

la_smog.gif

Here's another pic of the stadium:

Beijing_National_Stadium.jpg

I like how you bring up the pic of rivers being polluted in China. Do you know the United States contributes to a great portion of that pollution by dumping its e-waste in China?

The United States is the ONLY modern industrialized country in the entire world that REFUSES to ratify the Basel Convention which primarily prevents dumping waste into under-developed and 3rd-world countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_Convention

The US rounds up its e-waste, ships it to China and dumps it there to save $$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzsqTFwV3Q

http://michaelzhao.net/eDump/

While I do not deny there are human rights issues in China, I believe you'd be hypocritical as an American to say that the Olympics should not be hosted there due to those issues. The United States has its own human rights issues which are accepted (Guantanamo Bay) and those that are still denied: Occupying Iraq for its natural resources (e.g. oil).

There are Americans that agree, and blame the "Bush Administration" for these atrocities and do NOT blame "America" or "The United States".

However, when it comes to China, they do not blame a specific administration (e.g. "The Hu Administration"), they blame an ENTIRE people, and ENTIRE country and an ENTIRE race/history.

If you are referring to Tibet, don't get me started. What happened in March of 2008 was disgustingly misrepresented by CNN, BBC, Fox, etc. I am completely flabbergasted as to how news sources I have trusted (e.g. CNN) could break my trust by LYING to everyone.

In March 2008, Tibetan extremist terrorist insurgents took advantage of the fact that China was hosting the 2008 Olympics, and decided to leverage the media attention on China and "celebrate" a failed 1959 uprising against the Chinese--in fact, I believe they even deemed it "Tibetan Uprising Day".

Instead of uprising against the police or the military, these terrorist cowards beat, maimed, and MURDERED innocent minority civilians--including little girls who were burned alive in their shops.

These extremists targeted the Han Chinese--whom comprise the wealthier segment of the Tibetan population--and beat them irregardless of age or gender.

And CNN had the nerve to call these "peaceful protests" or juxtapose the image of people rioting with the headline "Chinese cracking down on Tibet". These were NOT "protests". These were acts of terror and I am CONFIDENT had these events occurred in the US, the National Guard would have been deployed a la Berkeley.

Tibetans going savage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFY1j8qs9mk

Now, the Olympics are a time for the world to gather and put aside our differences and celebrate humanity and compete peacefully in sporting events.

You, along with a lot of other ignorant people FULLRACEHONDA, have turned this into a:

Racist-
Nationalist-
Bigoted-
Xenophobic-

hate event.

I am not saying the Chinese are perfect--far from it--but they are improving and changing for the better. People like you will never be satisfied with any progress they make. Anyone else up for another Red Scare? Let's hope we don't lose important Chinese-Americans to racism and hate such as the co-founder of Jet Propulsion Laboratories Tsien Hsue-shen during the original Red Scare.

'Undersecretary of the Navy Dan Kimball tried to keep Tsien in the U.S. commenting "It was the stupidest thing this country ever did...he was no more a Communist than I was and we forced him to go."'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsien_Hsue-shen

Now take your sensationalist BS and go do some research before you make wild accusations.

Last edited:
You guys are in for a treat. I'm going post up some of my favorite pictures from my latest trip as soon as I finish loading them. It's taking forever since I'm putting little bits of information so I don't get haggled for more info from family since they are all of a sudden interested with the olympics coming. Maybe even a couple pictures with blue skies!

Also, KSX, if you let people rile you up that much you are in for an overly tough life you probably don't deserve. Great picture of the bird's next btw.

Last edited:
You guys are in for a treat. I'm going post up some of my favorite pictures from my latest trip as soon as I finish loading them. It's taking forever since I'm putting little bits of information so I don't get haggled for more info from family since they are all of a sudden interested with the olympics coming. Maybe even a couple pictures with blue skies!

Also, KSX, if you let people rile you up that much you are in for an overly tough life you probably don't deserve. Great picture of the bird's next btw.

Who's riled up? I just call it like I see it. Fear-mongering haters.

Ok, I'm a little riled up over the Tibet issue because it astounds me that so many people could be so ignorant over an issue.

Some people need to turn off their televisions, and pick up a book. BTW, when CNN appeals to an authority on a political situation, why do they get the dude from Pretty Woman?

How about a Yale PhD?

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

"Michael Parenti has won awards from Project Censored, the Caucus for a New Political Science, the city of Santa Cruz, New Jersey Peace Action, the Social Science Research Council, the Society for Religion in Higher Education, and other organizations. In 2007 he was awarded a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition from U.S. Representative Barbara Lee.

During his earlier teaching career he received grants or fellowships from the Louis Rabinowitz Foundation, the Ford Foundation, Brown University, Yale University, State University of New York, and the University of Illinois. For several years he was a Visiting Fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, D.C.

He now serves on the advisory boards of Independent Progressive Politics Network, Education Without Borders, and the Jasenovic Foundation; as well as the advisory editorial boards of New Political Science and Nature, Society and Thought. He also served for some 12 years as a judge for Project Censored."

Anyways, looking forward to your pics. :smile:

Last edited:
Back