• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dominican Republic Anyone?

My wife and I are thinking of going to the DR for our 5 year anniversary. We are considering staying in Las Terrenas. Has anyone ever been there and can you recommend a good hotel? We plan to go in early October and are thinking of staying at the Garden Hotel Lomita Maravilla or Hotel Alisei.

Thanks for your input!

Nate in DC

You will have more fun in Cuba. Cost about the same.

You will have more fun in Cuba. Cost about the same.

+1

Definitely got to get to Cuba. They don't stamp American passports in Cuba and there are lots of flights from Cancun...I hear.

Get there in the next few years while it's still a time warp. Time has literally passed Cuba by. Seems like you're in the 60s.

The Dollar may be weak but it still buy lots of Cuban Pesos...:wink:

I go to Cabarete almost every year to windsurf. You fly into Puerto Plata on the North Shore. There are many resorts on the beach in the area but I never stay in the all inclusive palces as they do not offer enough variety. This particular spot is a sports mecca for Windsurfing and Kite Boarding. If you don't do those sports you can learn. There are lots of bars and restaurants right on the beach that are really good with a lot of variety and less than NYC food prices. The bars are a lot of fun and they party till the weeee hours of the night. 8 years ago they would close the bars at 7:00 AM but that has since changed to the middle of the night. I recommend the Valero condos as a nice quiet place to stay right on the beach 5 minute walk along the beach away from the bars and restaurants.

Most people go to the resorts in the South of the DR and really enjoy those areas but usually they are all inclusive prisons, which have the feel of cruise ships, not my taste but many prefer that type of vacation.

Good luck, PM me if you want more info.

Tytus

Personally I felt Costa Rica was much better and less expensive as well than the DR. More to do there as well and more to see as well. CR has a volcano, great beaches and friendly people and they don't need machine guns at the entrance to the resorts or guys with clubs in their hands every 100 feet like in the DR. I've been to both places in the last 3 years and felt CR was much better. Just my 2 cents.

Personally I felt Costa Rica was much better and less expensive as well than the DR. More to do there as well and more to see as well. CR has a volcano, great beaches and friendly people and they don't need machine guns at the entrance to the resorts or guys with clubs in their hands every 100 feet like in the DR. I've been to both places in the last 3 years and felt CR was much better. Just my 2 cents.

Actually I've heard good things about Costa Rica. Some sketchy areas like San Juan but the touristy places are great and no riff-raff.

+1

Definitely got to get to Cuba. They don't stamp American passports in Cuba and there are lots of flights from Cancun...I hear.

Get there in the next few years while it's still a time warp. Time has literally passed Cuba by. Seems like you're in the 60s.

The Dollar may be weak but it still buy lots of Cuban Pesos...:wink:

They do not take American credit cards, so you will need cash. There is a service charge for currency exchange.

Back