• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Door and Lamp Monitor Lights won't shut off

The Door and Lamp Monitor "warning" lights are supposed to flash briefly when you turn the ignition key on, and then shut off after you start the engine. Mine remain on after the engine is started and continue to glow red until I shut the engine off. These lights are supposed to come on only if any of the doors, rear window, or trunk is not completely closed, or if the headlamp doors are not working properly, none of which is the case. Has anyone had this issue and can suggest a fix?

Are they aftermarket bulbs? (edit: you said they are red so 'yes')Have you made ANY other recent changes that could trickle the electric system?

Real example is aftermarket LEDs in the tail light will not only illuminate the "brake light" out indicator, but will also disable your cruise control while you have at least the parking lights on. In theory one thing SHOULD have nothing to do with the other... but they trickle through those sensitive lines.....

I would start by checking to make sure they are in the right polarity.. i know some bulbs say there isnt a right way and will stay illuminated, but there is always a right and a wrong way. Start with your drivers door bulb, remove it, then see if the other two stay illuminated... if they turn off like they are supposed to, flip the drivers bulb around and try again... if they turn off like they are supposed to again, then theres your issue. If they stay on however, then you have a bad bulb with skewed voltage.

Repeat the test all around, or throw the incandescent bulbs in and see if that solves it. Bad voltage, possible ground issue with the new bulbs.

Last edited:
The Door and Lamp Monitor "warning" lights are supposed to flash briefly when you turn the ignition key on, and then shut off after you start the engine. Mine remain on after the engine is started and continue to glow red until I shut the engine off. These lights are supposed to come on only if any of the doors, rear window, or trunk is not completely closed, or if the headlamp doors are not working properly, none of which is the case. Has anyone had this issue and can suggest a fix?

Dielectric grease?................. I use it everywhere there is an electrical connection, connectors, bulb sockets etc... Keeps out moisture and corrosion and greatly increases reliability.

Ya think?? Where would I start?

The "Safety Indicators" are covered in pages 23-145 to 23-150 in the manual. Nothing in the troubleshooting section covers a bunch of them staying on like you describe. I'm just guessing here but maybe a faulty ignition switch or improperly seated connector "A" to the instrument panel cluster.

Back