• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Door Lock Actuator - Rebuild or Replace?

My right side (driver's side in the UK) door lock keeps acting up in the cold weather - after unlocking the car the lock seems to not realise that it has already unlocked, and it just repeatedly clunks away trying to unlock again.

Complete replacement door lock/actuator assemblies don't seem to be available new for RHD cars and the old list prices are eye-watering. Used replacement assemblies are occasionally available but might be a gamble.

I seem to recall reading about people rebuilding the lock assembly with a new aftermarket actuator - does anyone have any experience of this?

eBay shows that aftermarket door lock actuators are available in the US, but I don't particularly want to order one without positive confirmation that it'll fit. Shipping back across the Atlantic for the returns process won't be fun . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Loc...dard-DLA-174-fits-2002-Acura-NSX/163927549830

DLA-174 cross references to the trunk lock actuator on the 2001 - 2005 NSX.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1515596&jsn=3

Moreover, its for the US model with the internal emergency release to allow the trapped dwarf to escape from your trunk. Check the standard Motor Products / Intermotor catalog for details.

I have been into my doors a couple of times for window regulator fixes. I saw; but, didn't really pay that much attention to the door latches. That said, my recollection is that the lock motor mechanism is integral to the door latch mechanism, not a separate piece like the trunk lock actuator. That said, if you can hear something repeatedly going click, click, click it seems like your lock motor may be operational. Your problem may be one of the switches in the latch assembly that tells the lock control unit that the door is locked or un locked. If the lock control unit thinks the door is still locked that may be why the unit is repeatedly pulsing the lock motor.

If the problem is triggered by cold weather, it might be related to dry / stiff grease impeding the operation of the switch. Cleaning and re lubing might be an option. I don't know how feasible it is to disassemble and clean the latch - I leave that for you to explore. However, before you go there I recommend that you test the electrical functions of the latch as described in the service manual to confirm where the problem is. No point pulling the latch mechanism out of the door if the problem is someplace else.

Last edited:
I had a problem with mine a few years ago. The unlocking function worked fine but door would not unlatch. I inspected with a bore scope thru the window slot and all of the linkage was working correctly. Something had failed inside the latch assembly. The 400 bucks for the part was the easiest part of the repair to accept. Taking the seats out thru the passenger side and breaking the door panel off with the door closed. Then spending about 10 hrs cutting the latch assembly apart with a flex shaft on a dremel tool was a bitch. I had Appx 150,000 miles on the car at the time. I don’t know what failed inside or what the failure rate is on this part but if it were me today I would put a new one on. Considering the inability to get parts in the future and the absolute nitghtmare it is to replace with the door closed.

Thanks guys, that's excellent information. I'd been worried that eBay unit wouldn't quite be the right answer!

Interestingly, Amayama came up with a lower price for that part number than JP-carparts for me just now. It's actually cheaper than some used units I've seen, and for a new unit I'd be entirely happy to pay it - I've submitted an enquiry and I'll see what they come back with.

There's a further puzzle in that it isn't the part number that was quoted on the parts diagram I looked at for a UK car. That said, the part numbers from the source I was using seem to change by year and neither JP-carparts nor Amayama recognise any of them - I'm going to assume that's some Honda Europe weirdness and put my faith in Honda making the assembly interchangeable!

I have used Amayama in the past and so far they have been reliable and have had the lowest delivered cost (to me) of any vendor.

For North America, Acura lists the same door latch assembly part numbers for the production run from 1992 - 2005. 72110-SL0-A03 for the right side and 72150 SL0-A03 for the left side. However, those are North American part numbers for a package of pieces, one of which includes the latch assembly.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-200...anual/body-air-conditioning--front-door-locks

In North America you cannot purchase just the latch. The SL0-A03 numbers are not recognized by Amayama or JP-carparts so they may be a North American part number only. You may find the same thing for your UK parts. I also expect that if you are checking Honda Europe for parts numbers those will be different than UK because of the difference in the chassis. When you go to Amayama it will list the chassis ABA-NA1, E-NA2 ..... that the part number applies to. The SL0-013 parts seem to tick all the chassis codes; but, if you can figure out the chassis codes (which seems to be separate fromn VIN) you may be able to confirm the fitment of the part on your car.

Your observation about Amayama parts pricing is interesting and jives with my experience. When I check on the SL0-013 part listed by [MENTION=5430]drew[/MENTION] I see the same thing, Amayama being cheaper. JP-carparts list the part at $367 US$. Amayama lists the part at $370 Cdn$. Given the exchange rate that is about 25% less than JP-carparts. Also, last time I ordered, Amayama billed me directly in Cdn $ which saved me an additional 3-5% for currency exchange. Maybe it depends on when you look and the location from which you are generating the request. Without spoofing my IP address I cannot get Amayama to give me a cost in US $ to make a direct comparison.

FYI: I am in NZ right now. Amayama usually has prices that are +10% lower than JP-carparts so this is surprising.

On the RHD catalog
RH lock 72110-SL0-013 with alarm, on Amayama is US$371.75, and JP-Carparts US$366.85.
LH shows two different numbers: 72150-SL0-013 at US$269.96 and 72150-SL0-A02 at $366.95, apparently both with alarm triggers.

I would presume that early JDM NSX's did not have alarm (SCU) or at least alarm triggers on the doors, as Japan really didn't worry about vehicle theft*. There are some very complicated JDM NSX keyless implementations and the lack of built-in triggers might be the reason.
Hence,
RH 72110-SL0-J11 US$189.75
LH 72150-SL0-J11 US$189.75

On the LHD catalog, only triggered locks are shown.
RH 72110-SL0-A02, description: "LOCK ASSY., R. POWER DOOR (LH)"! Superceeded by A03 below.
RH 72110-SL0-A03, US$573.58

LH 72150-SL0-A03 US$573.58

None of the LHD part numbers are carried by the RHD suppliers.

I would suspect that the trigged JDM locks would work just fine in USDM cars, but that would have to be verified.

And the non-triggered ones as well, but there is no input to the SCU and that might affect the keyless (though the keyless seems to be rather dumb).

It also appears that part suffix's that start with Axx are for the American market and also used to distinguish LHD from RHD specific parts when applicable.

FYI: Pricing on Amayama, you can probably thank NZ. If you think UK prices are out of line, NZ is a complete robbery by comparison. The vendors here are accustomed to gouging customers and Kiwi's are largely forced to pay as there was little alternative in the recent past. Amayama has become very popular here by selling parts directly to the customer at 25%-30% the traditional NZ cost. This has caused Amayama to be despised by the Dealers blaming all their woes on "cheap imports that do not pay their 15% tax", and they have forced the government to act. The NZ government requires any company that sells more than [a very low amount] to use the local currency and collect taxes or the packages would be rejected. In the past year, Amayama went from having indecipherable packing slips to uncanny precise NZ addresses (standard irregular addressing). For reference, I needed some Urea Grease 08798-9002 and the NZ RRP$67+tax+shipping (total ~US$70) for a US$10 item and Amayama can't ship and they apparently don't use it in the service shop‽ I had to have it muled in with my other contraband from Amazon/Ikea/CostCo.

Last edited:
Speculation on my part; but, I suspect all of the switch contacts may exist in the latch assembly regardless of whether there is an SCU installed because most of them are required for the power door lock function. Did any of the lightweight JDM market NSXs delete the power door lock and get specific latches to match - that would really mess things up.

Without knowing which particular part number the OP has enquired about. There is a distinct 'electrical' difference between the right door latch on a LHD car and RHD car (and the difference is mirrored on the left door latch. This difference would emerge if the OP used a right side latch from a LHD car to replace the right side latch in his RHD car. Below is the schematic for the power door locks with the rectangular boxes being the door latch electrics. This schematic is for a LHD car. The top box is the left / driver door and the bottom box is the right / passenger door.

View attachment 163213

They look mostly the same. The distinction is that the switch position for 'lock' on the knob switch on the passenger side is not brought out to the plug (pin 6). This reflects the fact that if the passenger locks their door using the knob, only the passenger door locks. The drivers knob will lock everything. So, even if the latch fits and operates fine, there may some change in functionality. Personally, I don't think I have ever used the knob to lock the doors so I wouldn't be upset by that loss. Of course, the wire may be brought out to pin 6 in the connector and its just not used (on LHD cars) in which case there will be no loss in function.

I just compared prices for Amayama with a GeoIP of NZ and one of the USA for part number 72110-SL0-013

NZ GeoIP= USD$381.75, (also stated NZ$601.05, which is a fair conversion from $381.75.)

US GeoIP = $278.51! (US$280 for 72150-sl0-013, the LH side)

RU GeoIP = $278.51 (but US$204.38 for 72150-sl0-013, the LH side)

Amayama has increased the base part price by 30%! WTF!

I fired off a message to Amayama asking what is up...this sucks.

No reason to freak out. :) Get accustomed to price differentiation. It's not necessarily price discrimination as they're might be faced with additional costs shipping to NZ. You gave us a hint.

There is some excellent detective work going on in this thread!

For avoidance of doubt, I am after a right-hand door lock for an RHD car, with alarm triggers.

The part number that I've seen on the UK diagrams was 72110-SL0-E03. Of the variation in part numbers, it doesn't seem a wild supposition to speculate that parts with a -Jxx suffix are intended for Japan, parts with an -Axx suffix are for America, and parts with an -Exx suffix are for Europe.

The translation to chassis code has always baffled me. I am aware that the Honda country code for UK & Ireland is KE, but typically struggle to find a way to translate that into a chassis code that I can look up on JP-carparts. Of course, they may only list the chassis codes for Japan on that site.

The illustrations in the parts diagrams show what is visually an almost identical kit of parts between 72110-SL0-E03 and 72110-SL0-013 recommended here. There is a very slight difference in illustration of the rods (all are present on both, though), and there is one part listed in the UK kit which is not supplied in 72110-SL0-013 - this is the Protector, Right Door Lock, 72117-SL0-003. Perhaps this part is a special additional cover to help cope with the UK's famous weather - in any case, as it is a separately listed part I'm going to assume that this part would be transferable from the old unit to the new spare.

As 72110-SL0-013 is listed as the appropriate lock for the NSX-R subvariant of E-NA1, I'm confident that this part number is for an RHD car.

Amayama listed a price of £215 for me for 72110-SL0-013, but this did not include delivery, VAT, import duty, or any handling fees. Still though, even with all of those added on I'd get a new door lock unit (plus associated kit of parts, which I'm very happy to have) for rather less than I had expected. For some unknown reason, though, I wasn't able to order the part for that price immediately, but only submit an enquiry while they look into something for me. Might be that they're looking into shipping costs (the page couldn't estimate delivery cost), but if I later find out that Amayama have been checking this thread and they jack the prices up to NZ levels for everywhere in the world . . . ;)

>For some unknown reason, though, I wasn't able to order the part for that price immediately,

The weight is unknown and they can't determine shipping cost.

Your £215 is the same as the USD price.

Back