• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce 2002 Conversion

REMEMBER ALL PRICES LISTED HERE IS OEM RETAIL

I did some homework and found out what is needed. So now we can offer an 2002 conversion alternative. There is very much confusion on what is needed and what is not. So I made a list of what is needed at a minimal and what is needed completely for everything. The headlights are the most expensive part of the conversion. It is very confusing so what I did is make a package with the parts list, and pricing so you can see, this way you can shop anywhere for the best prices.

Pricing
We are selling these packages at 25% off the list price. We get 30% off but after the usual credit card fees, employee labor involved; I just made it a 5% difference to cover all of the cost. By getting the factory brackets and seals it is sure that the fitment will be just as good as the OEM 2002 cars. Many of the brackets, bolts, and nuts can be reused.

oembumperparts.jpg

(7) 71120-SL0-010 STAY, R. FR. BUMPER BEAM 37.04
(8) 71125-SL0-010 STAY, L. FR. BUMPER BEAM 37.04
(11) 71140-SL0-010 FRAME, FR. BUMPER CENTER (UPPER) 202.23
(14) 71151-SL0-010 PLATE, FR. BUMPER CENTER (UPPER) 49.78
(15) 71152-SL0-020 SEAL, FR. BUMPER PLATE CENTER 14.67
(19) 71162-SL0-010 SEAL ASSY., R. HEADLIGHT 37.76
(22) 71167-SL0-010 SEAL ASSY., L. HEADLIGHT 37.76
===================================================
Total with 25% off is: $312.21

oemheadlightparts.jpg

(1) 33101-SL0-A04 HEADLIGHT UNIT, R. (HID) 1091.86
(3) 33108-S0A-J01 SCREW (6X18) 3.85 each x ??? depend if you get HID
(8) 33123-SL0-A01 BRACKET, R (1) 21.15
(10) 33126-SL0-A01 COVER, RUBBER 37.10 each x 2 = 74.20
(11) 33127-SL0-A01 COVER (1) 13.57 each x 2 = 27.14
(13) 33145-SL0-A01 GASKET, SEAL (1) 7.56 each x 2 = 15.12
(15) 33151-SL0-A04 HEADLIGHT UNIT, L. (HID) 1091.86
(16) 33173-SL0-A01 BRACKET, L (1) 21.15
==================================================
Total with 25% off: $2318.19

MINIMAL PARTS NEEDED
oemoldbumperparts.jpg

On the bumper section there are people who actually installed without any of the needed parts. They cut the following on this diagram above, the fitment is not always perfect and I don't want to comment on something I haven't seen enough of. By retaining the old impact beam with the old bumper brackets you can save over $800. The old bumper beam will not work with the new bumper brackets because the bolt pattern is different where they are suppose to mount.

DOWNFORCE PRODUCTS
Front Bumper
$959.00 FRP Now $863.10
Includes factory bumper caps. We changed the OEM very minimal, we made the front lip a bit longer (3/16") which is actually not even noticable as it turned out. We made the top and lower piece line disappear and reappear at the sides. We left the 2 caps intact because it is needed to mount the 12mm bolt. All of the bottom tabs are intact from the factory bumper so all the stuff will fit and bolt on.

HID LIGHTS
There are 3 systems. I will elaborate more on this as I receive more information from the other NSXPrime vendors.
Helio $450
Plasma $500
Xetronic $550

Headlight Wiring Harness TBA
Working on that right now. The HID system will come with the D2S plugs from the 9006 plugs. I think the other plug is either for the turn signal or the parking light. I will update as soon as I get the info.

Hood Options
This is what we have for the 2002 type. Just to let you know that hoods are designed with a skeleton frame because it gives the large flat panel it's structural rigidity. Without it it is prone to wobble flex, have print throughs where the hinges are at. These print throughs will resurface even after the bodyshop blocking it out because of the stress it is exerted. Print throughs are dimples or humps cause from the reverse side when the adhesive of the hardware begans to experience heat, force, and just age of the material shrinking causing a distortion on the clean surface. Practically all hoods have skeletons and the hardware should be installed on the skeleton part to avoid print throughs. A bridge without any support beams on the top or the bottom is very limp and that concept goes with any object.

1. NSX-R Replica FRP or CF includes 2 type of screens $1575 or $2025 (10% discount applied)
vance1.jpg
vance2.jpg

Vance's one off hood with cf/kevlar/and red cf

2. NSX OEM $1664.44 list price = $1248.33 your price.

3. NSX-R Style by VIS FRP $950 (sold a few and had 50% complaint level)
vishood.jpg

4. NSX OEM Style by Import Fan in CF top/ CF mixed with FRP on the bottom $555 (had a few complaints will need bodywork if you want it smooth on top surface, but fitment is not too bad for price).
importfancf.jpg

5. NSX JGTC Style by Import Fan in FRP $330 (no comment never seen it before)
importfangthood.jpg

Headlight Brackets $112.00 (4 pieces) Now $100.80
The nuts are welded onto the bracket for ease of installation. All metric to retain factory size and threads. I'm including stainless bolts with stainless washers and lock washers.
lightbrackets.jpg

Front Lip $275.00 FRP Now $247.50
The height is stock, because the NSX is already pretty low. The vents are on the side (trying something different because we haven't seen anyone tried it).

Rear Valence $450.00 FRP Now $405.00
This part we made the lip stick out more to get a more sporty look such as AMG Mercedes and BMW M models. The lip is extended 3/4" more from the stock. We also carried the lip all the way to the end (it fades out at the end). We also added a lip on the top to give it a diffuser look. The top has a 1/8" lip gain for a more aggressive look. Very big difference when comparing side to side, I actually loved how it turned out.

Shows the change on the lower lip.

ORDERING
I will be offering a discount as always everytime I launch a product so everyone will get a chance to get a good price. 10% off until December 1st. For the vendors that purchased our products before this special you will receive a 10% credit from your prior purchases. Thanks for your support. If you want to order I guess you can order from the website when it is inputted by the end of this week, we have made several sets already. If you have any questions please ask here so everyone can share the information.

SHIPPING
TBA: I will ship via FedEx ground / Home Delivery for all USA orders. If the box is too big then it will go Freight. I don't have cost yet because I haven't shipped any out yet.

CONTACT
[email protected] for now. Our office is closed until Nov. 6th, 2006 then you can call in 714-778-4580 or 714-288-1630.

Last edited:
Very cool work! Just wondering since you changed the design of the rear valance did you also happen to make the exhaust cutouts a little larger to fit say tubi, gt-one or ark quad tipped exhaust?:rolleyes:

how about a 02+ front bumper/lower bumper for the NA1 flip up headlight cars.
But no integrated lip tho, that thing is gonna destroy in no time at my driveway.

Very good work~
I have some questions..
Im planning 02 conversion now, and bought the headlights already, its on the way so I dont know yet about headlight bracket, I will ask later when I received headlight ...
however, if I want to put MargaHill Front Bumper, what kind of bumper bracket parts do i need?
Margahill Front Bumper +
(7) 71120-SL0-010 STAY, R. FR. BUMPER BEAM 37.04
(8) 71125-SL0-010 STAY, L. FR. BUMPER BEAM 37.04
(11) 71140-SL0-010 FRAME, FR. BUMPER CENTER (UPPER) 202.23
(19) 71162-SL0-010 SEAL ASSY., R. HEADLIGHT 37.76
(22) 71167-SL0-010 SEAL ASSY., L. HEADLIGHT 37.76
Are these all i need ?

I don't think you will need any brackets except for the following...

Use the old frame support and cut like where it shows in the 3rd Honda Diagram. You may not need the 14 and 15 and reuse the old plate and seal also. I have one concern and it is whether if the lines in the hood will match up to the marga bumper. Because the marga is fiberglass it is very easy for a bodyshop to modify. Hope this helps and good luck with the conversion.

ashman: I didn't change the exhaust outlet size because majority of people wouldn't like it. Because this is fiberglass it is very easy to cut and modify (it is easier to cut, then to close a hole), if it was urethane it would be immpossible to change.

polar: There's a member on this forum making a bumper just like you described except its a whole bumper. I would recommend going through him because its already in the process of construction. Check out Mike Cruz's thread at MikeC_587's NA2 Bumper project for NA1 cars.

Pccw: Actually I didn't make an OEM side skirt because those who are OEM freaks would always buy OEM parts, so I decided to make a bastard version of side skirts to update the NSX look. I will be releasing pictures of it soon.

MadFinc: You can use any side skirts you wish. Stacy's is a great alternative, OEM are always pricy but can't go wrong with that, plus a new one coming out which is somewhat a different look similar to a HSC (but toned down). However any aftermarket side skirts can work and just depends on the look. Whatever I sell, I can offer the same 10% off with this offer.

PUBLIC: These parts (Bumper, Rear Valence, Front Lip) are all mounted the same as the factory. Every factory mounting point is still retained so you will just reuse the old clip nuts and bolts.

I just got the brackets in today for the headlights, I'll be editing the main post when I get home. The guys took the digital camera to SEMA and I can't shoot a picture now. :=:)

You'd also need to include an '02 hood, correct?

When can we order the valence. Can I pre order, I need one of these they look sweet!

When will they be available to ship?

DRIFTER: I can have the valance shipped on Monday which is Nov. 6, 2006. I am not in the office now, but at home waiting for the baby to pop out. Wish I could go to SEMA.

I will setup the downforce.biz website with the new part so you can order it tonight. It will be first come first serve, and we have 5 in stock ready to go, we also have 5 bumpers and lips.

Thanks for your reply, few more questions,,:biggrin:
I dont want to cut the frame, then can I buy that frame((11) 71140-SL0-010 FRAME, FR. BUMPER CENTER (UPPER) 202.23) and install it instead of cutting the frame? And what do mean for the lines in the hood? cause I will buy the hood for 02+, still need to modify the Marga hill bumper?
Please let me know:biggrin:
Thanks

nsxpowered said:
I don't think you will need any brackets except for the following...

Use the old frame support and cut like where it shows in the 3rd Honda Diagram. You may not need the 14 and 15 and reuse the old plate and seal also. I have one concern and it is whether if the lines in the hood will match up to the marga bumper. Because the marga is fiberglass it is very easy for a bodyshop to modify. Hope this helps and good luck with the conversion.

bumperlines.jpg

mynsx77: The bumper line is this one. I can't remember if it aligned up perfectly or not. I don't have a better picture right now. Sorry.

UPDATE FOR MYNSX77
OK, the lines do not match 100%. The good news is that it is off by only 1/8" or 3/16".

Last edited:
Just some input: Can you do a rear end WITHOUT the ugly number plate extension of the OEM part, just a flat line from left to right?

Last edited:
goldNSX: I am not sure if that can be done. The reason is that the lower valence.

rearplate1.jpg

rearplate2.jpg

The rear valence lip is very deep and if I extended all the way through there is no way the license plate can fit in anymore.

nsxpowered said:
goldNSX: I am not sure if that can be done. The reason is that the lower valence.

rearplate1.jpg

The rear valence lip is very deep and if I extended all the way through there is no way the license plate can fit in anymore.

I guess is it also because US licence plates have minimum size? Because I for once would be also probably be interested with goldNSX suggestion IF it materialise:smile:

nsxpowered said:

This one looks BY FAR better.

This is how it looks with the Eurpean version. Really fugly, another crime of the Honda design center!

Last edited:
goldNSX said:
This is how it looks with the Eurpean version. Really fugly, another crime of the Honda design center!

Hi Thomas,

Funny, I was about to post something similar.
I also have the '02 rear lower valence and I do not like that long lower lip of the license plate holder. European plates are much narrower (but longer) than US plates so the whole lower lip of the license plate holder could be removed.
However, someone told me that the type of plastic used for this part is quite brittle and it is therefore hard to cut through it with a very neat edge.

My idea was to first remove a tine strip with the current edge, the remove the big extended part and then glue the edge back on to give it the original edge.

Has anyone ever tried this before ?? Can anyone tell me what kind of saw I should use to cut this material. I only have one license plate holder so I have none to try my tools on first.

MvM said:
European plates are much narrower (but longer) than US plates so the whole lower lip of the license plate holder could be removed.
However, someone told me that the type of plastic used for this part is quite brittle and it is therefore hard to cut through it with a very neat edge.

I've seen one cut flat personally and it looks the way we want it but due to cutting not very professional either.

Back