• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce hood owners?

i Have been asking who makes the best fitting hood for a year now and still have noone has shown me this.

I live in Canada so you can imagine the hassle and frustration if i got a "perfect" hood only to find out its not. :frown:

Im at the point where im thinkin of makin my own just like the Aussie above.

seems like a lot of work but at least it would fit great.

We have the talant to do this in house...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BV69yTmQnG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if you can find an oem hood and ship it here... I would quote it out for ya.

I say this because the tack welds on that aussie hood dont look so good... we tig weld aluminum everyday

attachment.php

Attachments

• k20 jan update 057.jpg
    k20 jan update 057.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 841
for the record the downforce hood was not made from a nsx-r hood.. (i didn't want to post.. but had to keep this accurate. that is enough said)

i would also add that i have seen several downforce version 2 hoods that fit very nicely (almost perfect) out of the box.

Probably from the Procar hood...........

I have seen tons of DF hoods that fit perfect too.. and DF states they offer money back if it doesn’t and I think they would.

Is it still guaranteed after 2 years? Because mine still does not fit perfectly since the day one and it was the second one that they made. However, it is much better than the 1st one.

Last edited:
Is it still guaranteed after 2 years? Because mine still does not fit perfectly since the day one and it was the second one that they made. However, it is much better than the 1st one.

I'm not downforce so I dont know... but it is in their description from the link I posted

a couple more points.

-- when you go to the sos website to order the downforce nsx-r hood, the white car is Anil's car and the hood is a procar hood.

-- when you go on ebay and see a company by name of Duraflex advertising nsx- r hoods the picture of the whte nsx with red interior and a build sheet on the windshield is my car.. that hood is honda oem nsx-r the other white nsx in the picture has a procar hoood. I have contacted them and ebay about this and they will not correct the pictures and continue the practice.

Finally, for the money i think the downforce hood is the best nsx-r hood for the nsx bar none. as stated before i have seen several that fit almost perfect. The hood stands on it's own and doesn't need false pictures or statements to sell it.

We have the talant to do this in house...

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BV69yTmQnG8" frameBorder=0 width=640 height=390 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

if you can find an oem hood and ship it here... I would quote it out for ya.

I say this because the tack welds on that aussie hood dont look so good... we tig weld aluminum everyday

attachment.php

Can we see some of the hoods you have "fabed up" for your customers?

Its one thing to be able to fab a vent in a hood but its another thing to fab up a true "type R' air scoop.

Can we see some of the hoods you have "fabed up" for your customers?

Its one thing to be able to fab a vent in a hood but its another thing to fab up a true "type R' air scoop.

we haven’t made one before. But that doesn’t mean our skill level doesn’t support it....

For example - This NSX is soon to debut in time attack... 100% fabbed in house.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100001018403939&aid=25884

If the interest is there... we would consider making one for someone in need

My comment is in relation to the welds... the hood in the link was body worked well..but the aluminum welds aren’t... well... all that dark shit located around the tacks is contamination

attachment.php

one last comment-- (Kind of wish i wouldn't have commented in the first place)

if you are buying an aftermarket cf hood for your nsx, my best advise is for you to ask whomever you are contemplating purchasing from if they will guarantee fitment and return your money if it doesn't fit (provided of coarse you pay return shipping). Also if you are not comfortable don't buy.

if you are buying an aftermarket cf hood for your nsx, my best advise is for you to ask whomever you are contemplating purchasing from if they will guarantee fitment and return your money if it doesn't fit (provided of coarse you pay return shipping). Also if you are not comfortable don't buy.

And if said vendor COMMITTED to replacing an item then they should, right? What good is a guarantee if you don't keep it?

From a year ago last week:

Hi Curt,<O:p</O:p
Just emailing you to let you know that I haven't forgot about your hood, we are still figuring out the hood fitment problem with your hood. I hope this get it worked out in about 1 month.<O:p</O:p
Thanks,<O:p</O:p
Peter

I feel that when you support a cottage industry to the extent that I have, buying a significant amount of their offerings and being as happy as I was to sing their praises that they should keep their word. That's all. At the end of the day my awesome kids are still healthy, I still have a great wife, a great job and great friends. I just have a hooptied up hood that shouldn't be. In that light I'm OK getting sh*t on a little. But I'll revisit this thread monthly... :smile:

Bump!

i just emailed Peter
has there been an update,to curtsr's issues?
anyone ?
and STMPO ,How much are you talking to making a NSX hood into and NSX-R style,a have an extra,and what would you use for your measurements,and do you guarantee the right measurements ????
just asking.
thanks Gary

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I had a lot of people e-mailing me about buying a NA1R hood and as you may know, I don't want to sell something that has problems. He have never modified the mold, it is the assembly jig fixture that was tweaked. I appreciate all of the opinions from everyone in the community, supportive comments that makes me feel whatever I'm doing is worthwhile. The complaints that helps me understand problems and to improve on. My biggest flaw is time management which compounds to my natually poor communication skills. In my mind I have a good snapshot of everything that is going on. I don't forget things, but I do lose track of time. Right now, I'm on the verge of getting my final confirmation of the NA1R hood before I can finalize it.

The hood is always the hardest for me on the NSX because there is so much variables that affect its fitment. Here are some facts to the hood issue.

#1. Fender alignment is the single most important issue, the bumper follows the fenders. 99% of bodyshops that had taken off the fender can not put it back right. I'm currently working on a method create an universal alignment jig to test fender alignment.
#2. Floating headlight retractors, these things are everywhere from car to car. Just look at the factory on how they all vary with shims.
#3. Aluminum double skinned hoods are very stiff, so you can tweak the hood without having the other side affected. This is why OEM hood can fit from car to car.
#4. Pre-existing damage, in which the repair was not made, so instead they pushed the parts to make everything fit.

So instead of trying to perfect the fitment of a virgin NSX which was my previous method, I used 4 OEM hoods to create my jig. This would ensure the most centralized pattern.

my new e-mail is peter(&)downforceusa.com
Once our new website is done, I will be spending more time here on NSXPrime.

Thank you all.

Hey Peter,

Great to hear from you. I have one of the last older NA1R hoods from an old Christmas sale a few years ago through Vance. I've only had the opportunity to get the hood on recently and the only fitment issue is a slighly larger fender gap on the passenger side by the windshield. The hood basically sat in my rear deck for almost 2 years!

I had my fenders painted as well but the body shop assembled the fenders back to the original factory locations for my car rather than to the DF hood. I can also see that the fender alignment is also slightly off.

The conclusion is simply that the fitment is good. No arc issues at the fenders and the gap is something that can be fixed. It's just under 1" gap and the fender looks like it can move in at least a 1/4" and the hood might be able to shift towards the pasenger side. All of this has nothing to do with the hood but rather the install.

I think it would be unfair to expect that you can simply remove just the hood from any 91-01 NSX and expect a hood to fit perfectly without any adjustment. The arc issue is definitely a problem but l did not have that issue with my hood.

PS. I had no damage on my car.

Last edited:
we haven’t made one before. But that doesn’t mean our skill level doesn’t support it....

For example - This NSX is soon to debut in time attack... 100% fabbed in house.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100001018403939&aid=25884

If the interest is there... we would consider making one for someone in need

My comment is in relation to the welds... the hood in the link was body worked well..but the aluminum welds aren’t... well... all that dark shit located around the tacks is contamination

attachment.php

if someone could make this happen, this would dominate the NSX-R hood market in the states.

This is why I am still running my OEM hood and will continue to do so until this drama is sorted out....(btw, I love the look of the NSX-R hood but will not stand for any gaps, anywhere)

For me, my NSX is perfect and I will never put a crappy shoddy quality product on my car for the sake of a vendor saying it will fit. I don't care who vouches for it because from my experience every NSX-R replica hood has issues in some way (call me picky). Also what's considered perfect for one person may not be for me.

If a company GUARANTEES perfect fitment - they better honor it or they will be paying full return shipping plus the refund.

So I'll check back on this thread but so far I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect fitting NSX-R hood around.

This is why I am still running my OEM hood and will continue to do so until this drama is sorted out....(btw, I love the look of the NSX-R hood but will not stand for any gaps, anywhere)

For me, my NSX is perfect and I will never put a crappy shoddy quality product on my car for the sake of a vendor saying it will fit. I don't care who vouches for it because from my experience every NSX-R replica hood has issues in some way (call me picky). Also what's considered perfect for one person may not be for me.

If a company GUARANTEES perfect fitment - they better honor it or they will be paying full return shipping plus the refund.

So I'll check back on this thread but so far I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect fitting NSX-R hood around.

Could not have said it better myself, oh yeah almost forgot, got to get the paint to match as well. :wink:

the fitment was pretty spot on, the only thing that was off slightly was the passenger side front was a little bit raised up...but after a bunch of adjustments it fits pretty damn near perfect.

best NSX-R hood i've seen

that's why someone needs to do work like the aussies and BlkEviL, so the picky customers have no right to complain about the hood cause it's OEM
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

^NSXchnk: If someone here can make an aluminum hood like that I'll be very interested in buying one.

My old e46 m3 hood also had an aluminum hood and a local body shop was able to help me fabricate the hood to have the vents but still maintain the OEM aluminum hood integrity. I remember however due to the heat shrinkage/expansion - we had to repaint the hood 3 times before it finally cured correctly. That alone was a painstaking process but worth the final product.

I know the guy who can do the aluminum hoods...no question.

In fact I have discussed this with him and have been looking for cheap hoods to have him do between 5 and 10 to start.

However, here is the problem that I see. The only hood that will ever fit perfect like the factory hood is the factory hood. When you are modifying an aluminum hood to the extent that it is required for an NSX-R replica, preventing it from warping would be a huge challenge. Lastly, shipping them with out them getting mangled is like the final nail in the coffin.

So it can be done, but there are several things that need to be taken into consideration. I think the DF hood is a great option. If your going to paint it it can be manipulated to be just about perfect.

Here is an polished aluminum Jaguar XK120 that has been sent to my friend to be straightened out and re-polished. He also welded all of my parts when I shaved my car. Without question he is the most talented person I've ever met in the auto industry.

P5240045Large.jpg

I know the guy who can do the aluminum hoods...no question.

In fact I have discussed this with him and have been looking for cheap hoods to have him do between 5 and 10 to start.

However, here is the problem that I see. The only hood that will ever fit perfect like the factory hood is the factory hood. When you are modifying an aluminum hood to the extent that it is required for an NSX-R replica, preventing it from warping would be a huge challenge. Lastly, shipping them with out them getting mangled is like the final nail in the coffin.

So it can be done, but there are several things that need to be taken into consideration. I think the DF hood is a great option. If your going to paint it it can be manipulated to be just about perfect.

Here is an polished aluminum Jaguar XK120 that has been sent to my friend to be straightened out and re-polished. He also welded all of my parts when I shaved my car. Without question he is the most talented person I've ever met in the auto industry.

P5240045Large.jpg

cmc140,

if he is interested in making big bucks, and you say how good he is, then he should not have trouble to not warp the hood, as this has been done before.

but trust me, i am sure if he does great work, good communication with clients, and can back up his work he will make a lot of money

Last edited:
I had purchased a "fabrication" from blkevil, but it never happened as he closed his shop. It worked in my favor, because I bought a full CF downforce gen II hood for less money. I still have my stock hood, and 3 years later my DF hood is a perfect fit. No warping, no issues. Right now, I wouldn't waste my money on cutting my factory hood up. No way. That is a permanent mod on a car whose parts are being phased out. The DF hood (at least mine) fits perfect. It's lighter, and it's cheaper.

I had purchased a "fabrication" from blkevil, but it never happened as he closed his shop. It worked in my favor, because I bought a full CF downforce gen II hood for less money. I still have my stock hood, and 3 years later my DF hood is a perfect fit. No warping, no issues. Right now, I wouldn't waste my money on cutting my factory hood up. No way. That is a permanent mod on a car whose parts are being phased out. The DF hood (at least mine) fits perfect. It's lighter, and it's cheaper.

i believe it when you say the DF fits great, but for people who have NA1s they no longer provide it.

you can't deny the fitment of a OEM hood. blkevil must of charged you an arm and a leg because if the DF hood is around $2,000-$2,300, blkevil must of charged you a lot then...

Think he was around $2500.

Too bad about the NA1 from DF.

$2300 is rediculous for an aftermarket hood. Hell, thats more then the aluminum OEM one!

Back