• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drew's New Tool

Alright, I'm bored to death with my ALB/ABS going back and forth across the country every few months for the past 7-8 years or so (pre-dates the bulletin board system on 'prime). It worked so well for the past near decade, that it is time to expand the offerings.

I was hoping that NSXCA would get on board, buy some tools and offer up them up for loan as required. They worried about non-members using it, loss of the tool and who would be responsible for it etc...

I ended up canceling my membership to NSXCA, start my own "club" and put the dues toward tools that everybody could use. (membership in my "club" would require tools to be donated for the "cause" as well or the use of tool and sending it on to the next soul)

It is time for a new tool that can also be shipped back and forth OR maybe another T- bleeder to relieve the backlog?

Anybody have any requests?

Last edited:
In addition to tools, I suggest adding parts into the mix.

In the past, I have lent parts off my NSX to other members to help troubleshoot problems on their car.

I have lent:
- ECU
- Throttle body
- Fuel Injectors
- O2 sensors
- coil packs
- Various Sensors
- Cats
- EGR

...but I have ran into problems with various situations, so I only lend out to local members

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea. I'm not experienced on this car so I don't know what specific tools there are, but off the top of my head, perhaps a crankshaft holding tool, valve adjusting tool, and another ABS T-bleeder.

I've got about $200 accrued NSXCA dues that I'd like to spend. And now is a good time to spend.*

The T-bleeder seemed to have hit the sweet spot that bleeding the ALB is either pre- or deferred- maintenance that can be done at a convenient future time. Which translated into a constant ongoing need and thus it was always had a customer base.

I do have both 45mm and 50mm crank pulley tools, an ALB SST computer and a SST valve adjustment tool.

The O2 and coil can be switched around on the vehicle to see if the issue migrates. A valve adjustment tool can be made out of a cheap deep socket, might not be worth the cost of shipping.

There is a SST clutch replacement kit that includes a crank pulley holder and an alignment tool.

Drew

*explanation
1. Save hard when times are good; as things are more expensive. The better the times, save harder and buy even less to wait for the bust.
2. Spend well when times are bad; as you can drive harder bargains and this leverages hard against the future when the boom hits again.
3. Never buy depreciating assets on time.

I love the idea, but as it is with people, there is always that risk that what is lent will not return. Sad, but true. I hope this all works out. I plan on ridding myself of the sticky ABS module once and for all (delete the ABS entirely) and avoiding having to deal with it.

Tools are an investment and I really love the fact about how willing fellow Primer's are to help with whatever issue may plague another members. Great community to be a part of. GL

The aftermarket crank pulley holding tool (alltrade?) is really affordable and works just fine. I forget which size I have, but my motor is a 96. Sub $20 range after shipping/tax. Ditto for an extended plastic clutch alignment tool that can handle the dual disks (got mine from SOS) although I read that a proper drive shaft end is much better. We shall see.

TB package:
- crank pulley holding tool
- valve adjustment tool
- 4 x drift pins for the cams
-----
$20 + $20 + $20 = $60

Clutch package:
- crank pulley holding tool
- clutch alignment shaft
-----

$20 + $20 = $40

Even as a packages, is it worth it to ship these things around? Personally I would loan/borrow locally at this price, but perhaps not worth the $15 to ship? So far I've found the aftermarket tools more than adequate to tackle the job.

Another one I thought of would be axle nut socket, but that one again isn't that expensive even though it would be cheap enough to ship. Ditto for hose pliers to change hoses. The set was around $15 from harbor freight and granted I wish I had sourced out the 2 larger ones for the tunnel hoses and heater hoses, total would still be in the $60 range so again probably not worth while to ship vs own.

Now the two balljoint separators might be something, but changing the ball joint out is pretty non-trivial, so would people really do it themselves especially since Acura doesn't sell a replacement part?

Sorry, I know I'm not helping here, but I really do like this idea and applaud you for starting it. Perhaps regional tool sets make sense and have a tool officer who manages it? I have to think some of the more active regions like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, NY would have enough people to do something like this.

Yep, appreciate the critique and you are largely correct. Yet, I've still got a couple of hundred to throw at this and see if it achieves the same success as my T-bleeder. If you haven't see the success of the T-bleeder, here is the thread.

Even at the low of $60 for a timing/clutch kit and a high of shipping at $15, that is still a savings of $45. And collectively, that can be a lot over time.

Here is my maths:
$35 50mm (new style harmonic balancer),
$25 45mm (old style HB, which should be changed to new style due to age)
$85 clutch alignment tool (see Dali)

vs

$11 USPS shipping medium flat rate box.

Realistically, I would not trust a plastic clutch alignment tool. Lining up the transmission is a bear without having to worry about the clutch pack being off by .020. I have shipped my old driveshaft off to service stations and others across the US. (The driveshaft is cumbersome because you have to stack the entire clutch set on the shaft and then bolt it all to the flywheel. )

A joint puller would be great too. There is a replacement ball joint that seems to work well.

The only membership requirement of my club is to ship it on to the next person.

Then again, if nobody is really interested...well, that is great too as everybody is content.

Drew

I have used your ABS tool kit and it was very much appreciated - KUDOS!

I don't really have any tools to contribute (that would be worth shipping) but I'd gladly support your/this effort in any way I can. I think it's a good idea and helps to build community. Maybe we could get a moderator here to develop another forum for tool donations and the listing, lending and tracking of available loaner tools?

Maybe?

I may have another abs bleeder tool along with a custom wiring and switch assembly to exercise the abs soloniods.
These will be available once I finish my abs upgrade. (in the process right now)

Back