• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driver side door light delay

The driver side door light and dome light sometimes have a 6-7 second delay when coming on after opening the door. Sometimes they dont come on at all, yet if i unlock the car then the dome light comes on instantly. This is for an '05 model.

I am not real knowledgeable with electronics but thought maybe this is either a bad switch or relay ? Any suggestions or thoughts what could be causing this are appreciated.

If both the door courtesy light and the dome light incur the same on delay when opening the drivers door, have a look at the switch that operates the interior lights in the driver's door. If the dome light comes on without delay when opening the passenger side, then the problem is almost certainly the driver side door switch.

The switch is a microswitch located inside the door latch mechanism. If you have a look inside the opening of the door latch you can see the actuator for the microswitch. Try operating the switch by pressing the actuator with a small flat blade screwdriver to see if it is jamming at all. If there is nothing obviously impeding the operation of the switch, perhaps somebody got overly keen with the application of grease to the latch or the grease is drying and getting hard and it may be slowing the operation of the switch on opening. If this is the case, try spraying some plastic friendly cleaner (such as electrical contact cleaner / degreaser) to clean up some of the grease and then reapply a suitable grease as per the service manual.

The switch mechanism is inside the latch mechanism and as far as I am aware is not a serviceable part. According to the service manual replacement of the switch requires replacement of the latch which I think is around a $700+ touch.

Thanks I will try the lubricant. The dome light and door light are either delayed together or don't come on at all which leads me to think, as you suggested, is the switch that operates the interior lights. I hope its not the $700 option!

Update: The lubricant has seemed to work I had to open and close the door a ton of times and then let it sit. Came back later and now the light comes on. Thanks for the detailed explanation :smile: !

Last edited:
Back