• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drivers side interior door handle snapped!

Last night my interior door handle snapped off in my hand when I went to get out of the car! :(

What part(s) do I need to replace? Its a '91 if that matters. Only the plastic handle snapped. Nothing internal as far as I can tell.

Thank you,
Jeff

Depends which part broke - there is a repair for the bottom lever extension available from Science of Speed; if it's the top section extension or the handle itself, you are hosed - there is no repair part available.
The handle assembly comes as complete assembly from Honda/Acura & not broken into piece parts.
I actually sold both of my handles to people who had suffered this fate. Your alternatives are to find used from someone who has done this upgrade (as I had done) or buy those same handles yourself.

Are you sure it is not the internal thing which is prone to break. Click on the Science of Speed in an earlier answer and look at the far superior to original parts they sell and decide if that might be the part that broke. The after market replacement is far superior to the original. If it really is what you believe I think it will cost you a lot. I have replaced the internal parts and it was not hard or expensive.

Steve

what i would do to save $$$ is, just to repair it yourself. if it just snapped into 2 peices, just use some good'ol super glue, or some kind of cement compound. maybe a little sanding, then a little paint. if you proceed to do this, you might have to paint the passenger side as well, for a perfect match.

good luck:smile:

If it's only the inside plastic part you can replace with the billet one shown below.
door_broken.jpg

Fixed

door_repaired.jpg

Link

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/door_repair/

If the handle is broken...
cleargun-450.jpg

Link

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_door_handles/

The pull portion is not plastic..It looks like plastic..but it is made of Aluminum..If you want the whole handle (leather and door opener pull assy) its gonna cost you Big$ :frown:

the repair kit from SOS is much less expensive...and no, gluing it is not an option.

Jin1976 said:

Emmmm - I assume you missed that I had already posted this exact information in the first reply?
confused.gif

If you can't find a used handle I would recommend that rather than buying the new one, you spend a few extra $$$ & get the billets from SOS which will cover both sides. Also buy the 'repair' kit so you don't have to worry about the originals breaking. Then you will have something that is not only pretty much guaranteed to last but also looks really cool too. Very pleasing cosmetic mod.

Fix #1 (should be your problem)
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/door_repair/

Fix #2 (Yes: expensive. But you won't have to worry about it again.)
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_door_handles/

Drew

/Pumpbubble, these are low volume expensive cars. I saw you agonize over the clutch costs... This car is just not worth you spending a significant amount of your resources keeping an NSX going. These cars will always be here...

Damn it why did I have to look at this thread!! now I have to buy those handles from SOS!! :biggrin:

zahntech said:
the repair kit from SOS is much less expensive...and no, gluing it is not an option.

I gorilla-glued mine last night.
I pulled on it harder than the door cable ever will and it was tight.
It's was in all day, pulled about 2 dozen times.
I will post if it fails, but i doubt it....

(fingers crossed)

-jc-:biggrin:

NSXrunner said:
Damn it why did I have to look at this thread!! now I have to buy those handles from SOS!! :biggrin:

Hahahaha....isn't that the truth? I'm looking at those handles and saying, oh Gawd, ANOTHER thing, lol. :biggrin:

Jimmycinla,

I have just had my drivers door handle break. This happened before but it was the inside thingie which I have replaced. Now it was the actual handle and I can see where it broke.

Tell me more about how you glued it. What is Gorilla Glue? Is that a brand?

Also, could you see the little ball type thing still in the door latch where the handle broke off? If you glue it wouldn't it not be able to pivot inside of the door handle reset (assuming it pivots at all as the handle moves)?

Did it ever break again?

Evoking said:
Jimmycinla,

I have just had my drivers door handle break. This happened before but it was the inside thingie which I have replaced. Now it was the actual handle and I can see where it broke.

Tell me more about how you glued it. What is Gorilla Glue? Is that a brand?

Also, could you see the little ball type thing still in the door latch where the handle broke off? If you glue it wouldn't it not be able to pivot inside of the door handle reset (assuming it pivots at all as the handle moves)?

Did it ever break again?

The Glue worked great. My break was not on any pivot point. It broke a second time in a completely different spot but the fixed(glued) break held strong. I didn't fix the second break as I bought a used handle here on Prime and it was on delivery when the second break occurred.
http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm

I'm not sure which part should I replace. I just hope its' not the door latch $$$$ :eek:. Can you guys tell by looking at the pictures? It seem like the bottom part of the latch has came off. Thanks.

Those photos are not showing clearly whether the join on the handle or the lever that is broken. Could you post the inside (other side) photo of that handle?
I'm not sure which part should I replace. I just hope its' not the door latch $$$$ :eek:. Can you guys tell by looking at the pictures? It seem like the bottom part of the latch has came off. Thanks.

Looks to me like the top lever is broken, not the bottom - which means new handle.
(bottom part is the repair part that's available - top is only available as the Billet part above from SOS or a COMPLETE handle assembly from Acura)
Or repair .......
I don't know about Gorilla glue for that application although jimmycinla seems to have had success with it - I'd maybe try some Epoxy - JB Weld or similar.

edit - actually, looking again, it may be the bottom that's broken - as Jin 1976 says, take the handle assembly off & lets see the other side.

Follow steps 1 - 3 below to remove the entire handle assembly

5957doorpanel1.JPG

It's not billet - that's why it broke! The replacement part is 'billet' which describes that it is machined out of a solid piece of aluminum. The original is just cast pot-metal.

However that is definitely the bottom replaceable ($45 from SOS) part which will fix your problem.

Yes, that's right.
It can be welded if you are very skilled at this, although it is cast, but the better option would be to get the replacement from SoS like Drew, Jin and D'Ecosse adviced ...

Last edited:
My driver side door handle snapped a couple days ago also. I have removed the entire handle assembly from the door and I found out that the internal part was broken. I order the door handle fix-it thingie already. However, I didn't know how to remove the broken piece from the handle. They appeared to be connected by two pins or screws but I couldn't get them out. Can someone tell me how to do the trick. Thanks.

Hi Coleman - sorry for your troubles but thankfully if it's just the 'fixit' part it is not too expensive to repair.
There are little round plastic (tape really) covers over the screws - peel them back & the screws will be exposed

Back