• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving school?

I'll soon be getting an NSX of my own and I'd like to make sure I lessen my chances of getting myself into a driving situation in which I can't get out of. I know of Bondurant and Skip Barber but I've never talked with anyone who's went to either of these schools, or any driving school for that matter. What are your views on the above schools? Are there other schools you recommend? Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to spend this money and time and get nothing out of the school. Also, I definetly plan on road-racing the NSX.

Brandon

Everyone I know who has gone to the Bondurant and Skip Barber schools says they're great. They're also very expensive, usually over $1000 per school, mostly because you use their cars.

There are other schools where you can use your own car, that are considerably less expensive. Some are run by for-profit organizations, and some by non-profit clubs; the latter tend to be less expensive, with club events typically $200-350 vs for-profit groups $600 or so. Some are national, while others specialize in a specific region or even a specific track.

Here are some of these organizations:

National:
Tracktime
BMW Car Club of America (does not require ownership of a BMW)
NASA

Regional:
Chin Motorsports (Southeast)
Car Guys (Northeast)
Trackmasters (Northeast)
CGI Motorsports (Midwest, GingerMan only)

And, of course, there's the NSX Club of America, whose NSXPO national event moves around the country each year and features a drivers school at one of the top racetracks.

There are other groups holding such events; my list is not complete. Anyone with additional names, post 'em.

A couple of additional notes...

Some groups hold their events as drivers schools, and put an instructor in the passenger seat next to you for the entire event. This is the best way to learn, particularly when you are a novice. Some groups are geared towards for experienced drivers and offer lapping and time trial events which don't provide as much instruction, merely sending you out on the track.

Also, if you have an accident on the track, you may find that your insurance company is more likely to cover you if the event was described as a drivers school rather than a time trial event. Many insurance policies contain exclusions for "competition and timed events", which generally includes time trials but not necessarily drivers schools. There are no guarantees that you will or won't be covered for any specific event, but this is something to be aware of.

Both Bondurant and Skip Barber are excellent driving/racing schools. I thought the instruction at Bondurant was just a bit better, but Skip Barber has the advantage of more sites across the country. Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either the Bondurant 4-day racing school or the 3-day racing school at Skip Barber. You'll get more time in the Formula cars with Skip Barber, though you get to do a short race in Roush Mustangs with Bondurant. I wouldn't recommend either their shorter programs (except the advanced activities and lapping days) because most of that time is spent on basics that can be learned elsewhere for less.

I did the Skip Barber 3 day racing and 2 day Advanced schools and had a great time while learning a lot. Skip's 3 day school will run you up to $3500 but you have no crash liability. The 2 day advanced is open only to 3 day grads and will run you $2000 but you have crash liability.

Bob

Back