• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove on Flat Tire ...

Seeking some advise from you tire experts ....

My rear driver side wheel just suddenly went completely flat this morning. Unfortunately I did not realize so until I backed the car out of the garage. But the fortunate part was that I backed out very slowly (under 5 mph) and only rolled for about 10 feet. After realizing the tire was flat, flat, and I had no other feasible options, I literally bit the bullet and drove the car back (very very slowly) to garage (and onto level ground).

So I basically drove on flat tire, however slow, for 20 feet. My first instinct was a nail causing the leak. So I removed the tire, inspected it but found nothing what so ever to explain for the leak. Side wall of the tire appeared also "undamaged" from driving on it. I then refilled some air back into the tire to 40 psi and now it's just sitting there (off the car) under observation.

My question is "is the tire still safe to use"? Tire is still in great condition with good amount of tread left. What do you guys advise?

disclaimer.....not an expert, but have lots of experience.

good news:
you haven't driven enough to damage the 'bead' of the tire, as long as it wasn't completely flat before you drove into the garage.

Do this, get a spray bottle fill it with water and a little dish soap.
Spray the heck out of the tire and look for bubbles.
You should find some. Then mark it and have it repaired by a shop with a patch inside.

good luck
Rich Wong

Do this, get a spray bottle fill it with water and a little dish soap.
Spray the heck out of the tire and look for bubbles.
You should find some. Then mark it and have it repaired by a shop with a patch inside.
I wouldn't even bother with that. I'd just take the wheel/tire off and take it to a tire repair shop. Let them find the leak/puncture and repair it with a combination plug/patch.

If the tire itself is showing no signs of a leak inspect your valve stem. In certain circumstances it can come loose (the older double nut style) and cause a flat. Even less likely is the valve core came loose, but if it's either it can be fixed easily.

I wouldn't even bother with that. I'd just take the wheel/tire off and take it to a tire repair shop. Let them find the leak/puncture and repair it with a combination plug/patch.

OK...truth be told....I just use soap to find a leak and plug it myself.
I don't drive the autobhan and I'm okay with a patch.

If the tire itself is showing no signs of a leak inspect your valve stem. In certain circumstances it can come loose (the older double nut style) and cause a flat. Even less likely is the valve core came loose, but if it's either it can be fixed easily.
True - less likely, but possible. And all the more reason to take it to a shop that has a tire mounting machine so they can fix it properly. If it's a puncture in the tread - the most likely scenario - they will probably charge you anything from $25 at most, all the way down to free.

I'm actually more concerned about the integrity of the sidewall. I did drive for about 10 feet with the tire completely flat. Granted this is not my track tire but I wonder if it is still safe for normal freeway driving.

I'm actually more concerned about the integrity of the sidewall. I did drive for about 10 feet with the tire completely flat. Granted this is not my track tire but I wonder if it is still safe for normal freeway driving.
You don't see the underlying carcasse but I doubt it's damaged from rolling 10 feet. If you drove it for miles with low on air with the result of overheated sidewalls (I had once) then that's another story. I guess you're pretty safe, at least with your speed limit on your wide and open highways. If you can't find the leak get it to a professional.

BUT BIG DISCLAIMER HERE! I'm no expert.

Back