• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

drove the 2003 BMW M5 and 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG this weekend

On the heels of my NSX purchase, I visited a friend who has a 2003 BMW M5.

I took it out for some spirited driving, and wow it was impressive.

Whereas my NSX loves to rev and requires a lot of physical effort to drive well (no power steering, short clutch/shifter, hard clutch pedal), the BMW M5 is buttery smooth. It reminds me of the Lexus IS 300 that I was going to buy, but just a lot more smooth, refined, and hugely powerful.

The M5 is so poised and easy to drive that it can be easy to forget that you've got 400 HP on tap. I was amazed at the ease that the power can be handled.

We also went to test drive the 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG. It was another very impressive machine, with over 460 HP on tap. The E55 AMG was very easy to drive as well. However, it may be too close to perfection, meaning that there really was not as much driver involvement required. The car's auto-shift technology only allows 4 gears, and the computer will over-ride your manual shifts if the RPMs are too low or high. The ride was a bit smoother than the M5, but the auto tranny really took the fun out of the driving.

I was impressed with how the M5 lets you know when the engine is warmed up, automatically adjusting the redline based upon the engine temperature.

All in all I was impressed with the E55 AMG, wowed by the M5. However, I'm very happy to be home with my NSX :biggrin:

m5.jpg

NsXMas said:
All in all I was impressed with the E55 AMG, wowed by the M5. However, I'm very happy to be home with my NSX :biggrin:

It all boils down to that, doesn't it? You can look at all the pretty girls you want but in the end, you get to go home to your beautiful wife. :D

NsXMas said:
2 of my friends have silver M3's. I gotta say I love the way they look, but I haven't had the opportunity to drive one just yet.

I promised my buddy that he could test out my NSX, and I will get a chance to test his SMG M3.
See if you can get a hold of a 6-spd manual M3. I'm not a fan of the SMG; the down-shifts on the SMG are nice, but that's about it.

-Awais

wiz357 said:
I'd take the E55 over the M5. But then again, I'm biased.

I would also. I would rather have an auto in a bid sedan. Plus 516 lbs ft of tq must feel awesome! :)

Russ said:
Does the M5 adjust the actual redline indicator on the tach?

Actually, the redline (I am assuming you mean like a rev limiter) doesn't move, it is the same no matter how cold the engine is. HOWEVER, it does have a series of lights surrounding the tach that signifies a kind of "countdown" until the car recommends allowing redline. I tend to follow its recommendation, but I really use the oil temp gauge as an indicator of when to let loose. The light indicators count down pretty quickly, often time before the oil temps are at opertating temperature, so I prefer to watch the oil.

JMO, Kevin

Tuan Le said:
I do like the M3, and almost bought one before I got the C5. I did not because you just can't make it go any faster than stock. Engine wise, there is not much you can do to it. :(
They have a SuperCharger out for it now. Kit comes with a blower and built internals, and puts around 500 Hp to the wheels. Cost: $25K :D

-Awais

Conrats on your beauty! I too just became an owner for the second time. Had a 91 some years ago and sold it....mistake....but just picked up a '05 Black/Black. It is stock for now, but goodies on order.

As far as the BMW's go.....the M5 is a monster for sure, but I currently have a 2003 M3 Coupe with SMG and a few mods, and let me say that it is still an incredibly fun ride. Very different than the M5 and the NSX, but a joy in it's own right.

All of the top tier cars are fantastic choices, just a slightly different tasting treat.

Will post some pics ASAP...

Once again, ENJOY THE NEW TOY!

PT

I drove a random 2000 M5 the day my E55 arrived at the dealer. Having driven E55s before, I thought I knew what to expect from the M5. However, it blew me away. The cars are only close on spec sheets and reading car magazines. The power delivery is different on both cars, as is the driver involvement. Needless to say, that day 4 years ago, I cancelled my E55, and bought the M5 on the spot. For an all around ride, there is nothing I've owned (73 cars since driving age) that does so much as well as the M5.

I have been debating replacing my TL with an E39 M5 for several months. The E46 M3 SMG Cab. is also on my list.

Having driven several examples of both (at heart I am a little more of a BMW enthusiast than a Honda enthusiast, but the NSX is in a class of its own), it is the M5 that really thrills me rather than the M3. I just love how the M5 has grace beyond its size. It is a really fun car to drive. It made me want to buy one much more than any E46 M3 I have driven (but SMG for a change of pace and the commute and a convertible top keep it on my list).

The E55 does nothing for me personally. It doesn't fit my definition of a sports sedan given its weight and dynamic qualities. I'd rather have an M5 that was slower in a straight line and more fun to drive in the corners. YMMV.

serialNSXer said:
I drove a random 2000 M5 the day my E55 arrived at the dealer. Having driven E55s before, I thought I knew what to expect from the M5. However, it blew me away. The cars are only close on spec sheets and reading car magazines. The power delivery is different on both cars, as is the driver involvement. Needless to say, that day 4 years ago, I cancelled my E55, and bought the M5 on the spot. For an all around ride, there is nothing I've owned (73 cars since driving age) that does so much as well as the M5.

I agree. I told people that the M5 feels like the NSX but a 4 door version :wink:

I have said several time in the past on Prime "don't test drive a M5 unless you are ready to buy one." The M5 is addictive and now you have driven one there is a 99.99999% chance you will own one someday. The M5 is probably that best all around car, and IMO often overlooked because of being a 4 door.

steveny said:
I have said several time in the past on Prime "don't test drive a M5 unless you are ready to buy one." The M5 is addictive and now you have driven one there is a 99.99999% chance you will own one someday. The M5 is probably that best all around car, and IMO often overlooked because of being a 4 door.

That's very true because after I test drove one, I had to get one too. :biggrin: The torque is awesome and I really like the looks, but I really do miss the exotic look of the NSX. Much more stares in the NSX than the BMW.

Back