• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ducati 1098/1098S?

Who's got one? While I've had almost every sportbike made over the years, I've never had a Duc. I've ridden them but earlier 916/996 models were to under powered it seems. Stopped at the Ducati candy store yesterday in Houston and was completely in awe at the new 1098. Looked at some used 999's there but they just are'nt Ducati's most attractive model. I guess the big question is are the new one's "japanese dependable," and is the "S" model worth 3/4 grand more? Thank's for any input.:smile:

If you want "japanese dependable," get "japanese dependable," Ducati's just not one of them.

Are Ducati's most attractive model? by far the hotist bikes out. The Ferrari of sports bikes is just that, unreliable, overpriced, I got more money then you showpiece. God forbid you have to replace a part on one, be sure to bring your Astroglide.

Yes, reliability is a huge issue for me. While I love Jap. sportbikes, the Duc. stands out like a topless Jessica Simpson. I hoped by now they would resolve their reliability probs. Their just so so f**king sexy. I thought this might be the year for one.:frown: The dealership had an entire showcase full of Ducati carbon add ons and performance parts. One could easily spend 10 grand in one purchase.

The newer Ducs are slightly better on reliability since they changed to the new engines. The 1098 looks really nice but, from riding both I would have to agree with what most of the magazines say in the fact that the 999 is better. With regards to what you are asking though, it's really some small bells and whistles. You get a few carbon pieces, a data logging system for your track days, ohlins suspension, and the marchisini wheels. The ohlins is really nice and worth the money if you are a good rider (hopefully you know what I mean) and the marchisini's are great for the unsprung weight savings. Duc's will never be maintenance and trouble free but, they are getting better at it though.

I am glad they went back to the old 916 design with the new 1098. The 999 did not look like a duc and many were pretty piss at the design. I owned a 748 and loved how it looked but it was not the most comfy bikes out there. The new 1098 I heard are more easier on maintenance than the earlier ones, the old design required a 6k mile interval and the new ones are about 12k miles. Ducati's are like Ferrari's, they are for weekend rides not everyday drivers but I would still take a Ducati over any Japanese bike.
This was my old baby,
DSC_0362.jpg

They have several nice 999's but that muffler is hideous, plus they're back to the single sided swing arm on the 1098. Decisions, decisions!:rolleyes:

If you like Italian bikes, I would consider the Aprillia RSC 100R. I thinks it is considered to be more practical than the Duc,

A friend in the group I ride with from time to time recently bought a new 1098, not the S model. He opted out since he does not plan on taking a bike of that caliber/cost to the track more than perhaps once a year. The S additions will probably not be overly useful on the street outside of the cosmetic enhancements if that's important to you.

Personally, I'd take an Aprilia Factory over a 1098 without hesitation. The 1098 is an extremely thin motorcycle, I need a little meat in between my legs. Like you, besides the 999 I've found Ducs especially underpowered, especially for the price/reliability/etc. The more I ride the less I care about power, but even my 06 kawasaki zx6r 636cc produces 130+hp.

Ducati's are beautiful, and definitely earn the title of "Ferrari of Sportbikes". But my mate who owns a Ducati tried a CBR 1000 and he said it was better than his ducati. Japanese bikes are simply fantastic.

here's a photo of his sexy ducati and my baby blade. :D

Image007_fireblade_ducati.jpg

A friend in the group I ride with from time to time recently bought a new 1098, not the S model. He opted out since he does not plan on taking a bike of that caliber/cost to the track more than perhaps once a year. The S additions will probably not be overly useful on the street outside of the cosmetic enhancements if that's important to you.

Personally, I'd take an Aprilia Factory over a 1098 without hesitation. The 1098 is an extremely thin motorcycle, I need a little meat in between my legs. Like you, besides the 999 I've found Ducs especially underpowered, especially for the price/reliability/etc. The more I ride the less I care about power, but even my 06 kawasaki zx6r 636cc produces 130+hp.
How wierd, Eximports sells Aprilia's also. Yes I did some gawking at those too. You know I never once looked at the price tag on them.:confused:

How wierd, Eximports sells Aprilia's also. Yes I did some gawking at those too. You know I never once looked at the price tag on them.:confused:

They are a lot cheaper. I think the Millie(sp) R goes for 15k which from what I remember is the starting price of the 1098.

They are a lot cheaper. I think the Millie(sp) R goes for 15k which from what I remember is the starting price of the 1098.

The Factory has full Ohlin's equipment standard. I cannot think of a single instance in which the Ducati is 'better' than the Aprilia. The Aprilia is more durable, more comfortable, cheaper, the list goes on. I'd also be willing to go out on a limb and say an Aprilia, although Italian as well, is just as unique if not more unique than Ducati.

Last time I went by the Aprilia dealer, a new Factory [highest model] was 17k (negotiable). I am actually picking up an 05/06 as my next bike as soon as I manage to sell one from my current sport bike stable.

The old two vertical round headlight front-end of the last bikes grew on me. But the new look that's back to the 916's rectangular side-by-side lights is now really making me want to get a Duc again...

The 848 is faster than the 1098 isnt it (or was it just faster than the old 999)?

ive owned pretty much all the liter bikes except for Duc. i never took advantage of it at the track but i did rode one on the street and i was impressed with the 1098.

but for the money, my heart will always be with Honda 1000rr's.....in MY riding habits/wrist control, IMO honda is perfect on the street

Owning a Ducati is a emotional purchase, You either get it or you don't, I have 2 Duc's, a 999 and Multistrada 1000S, both 2005's. When you are done with all the speed and power of the Jap. bike. Ducati's are the next step up. If i want some soul-less bike, than any 600 cc has more power than I can handle. If you want a fine italian machinery, than only Ducati's will do it for me. Of course I am biased. :wink:

David, stay away from Eximports! Go somewhere else...I've heard horror stories about these guys. Anyone in the "know" knows not to go there.

Btw, I've always wanted a MV Agusta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a 748R a few years back...

Thank's Z. I'll try Bob Lundsford dealership.:smile: Anyway Venisha's not really falling for my usual "can I get another motorcycle charm" at the very moment.

Back