• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dunlop Direzza IIs are very noisy!!

Anyone else using these tires. I used to have Direzza Star Specs (older version) on my S2000 before and they were a lot quieter. When the road has cross patterns (may have been patched), the noise is really loud (rumbling, growling). I am curious if this is is the experience of other owners or could I have defective tires. Awesome tires otherwise and sticks like glue :)

I went from Star Spec to Direzza II's and I do hear a little more, especially over the liquid patches for cracks.

So, I am not the only one losing my mind .... :) Thanks.

Havent noticed the noise bit hard to hear tyre noise over my exhaust, but yes very sticky tyres

This topic is always interesting to me, especially when reading reviews on tires. People's psychological based reviews certain make them quite inaccurate at times.

In a car like say a TL or 335i (or any luxury sports vehicle), I would expect the tires to be a bit more quiet and supple as you cruise around with your family in the car so you are not bumping loud music and such. However on a sports car like the NSX, I don't think the little bit of noise should be an issue as the exhaust should overpower the tread noise, especially during higher speeds on the hwy. I have tried a wide gamut of tires and none of them, expensive to cheap made a huge difference in sound to me in the NSX. Older/dried up tread definitely makes a bit of a difference in sound and feel, but other than that, it's all really relative.

I think maybe perhaps there is something else on the mind that the person becomes agitated by the rotational noise. Unless it creates vibrations or shaking, I don't think it's a big deal.

I've been looking at these. People always talk about loud high performance tires but I've never heard anyone mention a quiet tire on a sports car. Maybe on a Lexus SUV or luxury sedan.

The ZIIs are very loud over patched roads and I have a mild exhaust (CT), so I can hear it. There is nothing psychological about it. I have used Star Specs, Conti DW, Falkens and Sumitomo HTRZ-IIIs before, so essentially comparing with them. Being the newest tire on the block, I don't see a reason why it should this much louder over the outgoing model. I have not tried Advans or Bridgestones before so cannot comment on them. I know it is not a luxury car, but just commenting on the tires and wanted to hear other owner's opinion with these particular tires. Unless you have them on your NSX currently, you are not in the same boat.

The ZIIs are very loud over patched roads and I have a mild exhaust (CT), so I can hear it. There is nothing psychological about it. I have used Star Specs, Conti DW, Falkens and Sumitomo HTRZ-IIIs before, so essentially comparing with them. Being the newest tire on the block, I don't see a reason why it should this much louder over the outgoing model. I have not tried Advans or Bridgestones before so cannot comment on them. I know it is not a luxury car, but just commenting on the tires and wanted to hear other owner's opinion with these particular tires. Unless you have them on your NSX currently, you are not in the same boat.

Don't get too defensive. I'm not trying to insult you or anyone who cares for tire noise quality. I'm just saying that the noise usually can be drowned out by the radio or exhaust. I'm pretty sure tires with wear bar showing are louder than any tire that has meat left on them, even old ones. I rode around on wear bars showing in the center of the tread all day last Thursday with my elderly aunt in the car, so the radio was off. (I did not notice the wear until after I got to the dealership where my aunt was buying her new car) It did not bother me at all during the 30 minute drive while we were talking the whole ride on the interstate. Just drove again tonight with no traffic on this cool night to Walmart. The metallic scrapping is more noticeable in this denser air if you listen for it, but with the radio on or going 60+ mph, I can't really hear it. I have a mild HKS exhaust, which is about the same levels as your Comptech. It's just as quiet as stock until you apply WOT.

Last edited:
I've got them on my Integra Type R, but that is not a quiet car. (Among the differences for the Type R version is a lack of sound insulation.) I haven't noticed them being particularly noisy, but I doubt that I would.

FWIW, when the Tire Rack compared four extreme performance tires side by side, the ZII had the worst rating of the four for noise. But some other extreme performance tires not included in the test are also known to be quite noisy (e.g. Kumho XS, Falken RT-615K).

Extreme performance tires like the ZII tend to have tread patterns featuring large tread blocks, which results in greater noise. And like most tires, you can expect them to get louder as they wear down.

If you compare the tread patterns, the old Star Spec has tread blocks that are isolated from each other by tread grooves, whereas the ZII really doesn't have separate tread blocks. See below.

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg

Dunlop Direzza ZII
du_direzza_zii_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:
They are very good in the wet, i have driven in some pretty good rain storms here lately and no issues at all

you want noise? try some NT01's. I don't feel bad for anyone on ZII's

Also, just to state the obvious, the highest performance tires - including track/competition tires like the NT01, and extreme performance street tires like the ZII - are designed with performance the primary objective. Little priority is given to factors like noise or ride comfort (or, often, treadwear), under the assumption that those looking for the highest performance are willing to trade off those factors in exchange.

+1 on them being louder. I had Z1's before and they weren't as bad. I think the ZII have a significant grown at a certain mph. I hear from like 70-75. Very sticky though. But to anybody interested in buying, they are definitely louder than the older versions. Might try to falken 615k next? I hear good reviews of this tire and people say its pretty comfortable.

I have run both and currently have the Z11's on and they are not noisier however we have asphalt (tarseal) roads not cement so that could be a factor and they do have more grip

I don't find ZII noisy. Maybe it's just how or on what surface I drive but for the level of performance these provide extra noise level is irrelevant.
Everything is relative and I'm coming from XS so maybe that's why. I also find ZII very comfortable tire to run on the street.

I have a new set of four, plus an extra (R) front, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star-Spec tires awaiting need, bought at the Z1 close-out prices. sca037 is the tire repository of choice, as he has the GI-gumbo MAN cave garage for storage of said merchandise. :smile:

I know my visual observations of Z1 versus new version Z2 doesn't mean squat, but Z1 tread structure appeals more to me. Wear them down, they get to singing out loud. So be it. Accept the noise for warm weather high performance grip. On a side note, I bought a set of Continental DSW all-season hi perf tires for Wifey's 2006 Acura TL - as they approached 30K miles THEY were loud as all get out. Is it just the nature of the beast? :confused:

As OEM Bridgestones are no longer available in 2002 - newer NSX sizes, these varmints (Z1 or Z2 Dunlop) seem to be the best rubber going for 2002 and newer NSX's.

The ZII can be loud depending on the type of pavement you are driving on. In my neck of the woods the highway transitions from one type of pavement to another. It's dead silent on one type and then loud on the other. You hit crack patches and it makes an audible noise. I took my friend in a ride in my NSX with my GRF exhaust and he was able to notice the tire noise over my exhaust. I don't mind the noise and don't notice it anymore but at first it was definitely noticable considering I had S.Drives before.

On a side note, I bought a set of Continental DSW all-season hi perf tires for Wifey's 2006 Acura TL - as they approached 30K miles THEY were loud as all get out. Is it just the nature of the beast? :confused:
It's common for tires - any tire, any car - to get louder as they wear, as the tread grooves get shallow and may disappear, resulting in larger tread blocks. That is indeed the nature of the beast.

As OEM Bridgestones are no longer available in 2002 - newer NSX sizes, these varmints (Z1 or Z2 Dunlop) seem to be the best rubber going for 2002 and newer NSX's.
The Dunlop Direzza ZII is excellent, and so is the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R. Both are available in stock '02-05 sizes. The ZII may be ever so slightly better than the AD08R on dry pavement, and vice versa on wet pavement, and both are among the very best extreme performance tires.

I have Star Specs on my Civic Si, which is my daily. The noise is acceptable. The ZIIs on my NSX are louder, but its hard to say if that's solely due to the pattern or also because they are so much wider.

My Z1s are becoming a bit nasty to drive at highway speeds in heavy rain as they wear. That bothers me more than any amount of noise a tire can make. But I don't drive my NSX in the rain, so the ZIIs are fine.

Back