• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dyeing a leather interior ?

I asked a guy about his leather interior color and he said he might just dye it another color.

Anybody ever try ? Do it yourself ? Have it done professionally ? If so, how'd it come out ?

I redid my Dad's 1986 Jaguar with colorplus.com (tan color). The seats were heavily worn and cracked. The process is very, very time consuming (actually more waiting in between steps than anything). But if you take your time and do it right the finished product is great! You cut a 1" sq piece from the bottom of the seat, etc and send it to them and they do an exact color match. These seats were in BAD shape and now look new (well say 95%). 8 months latter the seats are holding up very well, but a few very, very small stress lines have shown up again.

Here is some pics of a BMW M5 that the guy used leatherique (similar to ColorPlus)

http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/leather.htm

CL65 Captain said:
I redid my Dad's 1986 Jaguar with colorplus.com (tan color). The seats were heavily worn and cracked. The process is very, very time consuming (actually more waiting in between steps than anything). But if you take your time and do it right the finished product is great! You cut a 1" sq piece from the bottom of the seat, etc and send it to them and they do an exact color match. These seats were in BAD shape and now look new (well say 95%). 8 months latter the seats are holding up very well, but a few very, very small stress lines have shown up again.

Here is some pics of a BMW M5 that the guy used leatherique (similar to ColorPlus)

http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/leather.htm

That is extremely useful information! I was wondering how effective those leather repair "kits" were and how they held up over time...

I don't know how effective it would be in changing the colour of the interior though...

My experience with dying... I would never attempt it on anything of value! Tie-dyed shirts and other experiments are messy and tend to turn out blotchy! I would think that you would have to remove the leather to put it in the dye as well... It would be much easier if you got new leather ordered from say leatherseats, and I think a better result....

Then you've got the carpet to do...

Back