• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E39 M5 or 2004 Audi S4 or 2005 Legacy GT

I am selling my NSX (will aquire again in the future if possible) due to the kids situation as is the case with some people here - having hard time deciding on a 4-door car - Does anyone know if the M5 is good in the snow with snow tires?? I am having hard time deciding between the M5, the S4, and the Legacy GT - I test drove all many times and still can't decide - how is the maintenance costs on the S4 ?? What is the magic higher miles in terms of maintenance costs I can aquire the M5 at if fully maintained ?? Is it 110-120,000 miles ?? same question for the S4 (if I can find a higher mileage one) - the Legacy is the value for the money but I am not sure about Turbo vs V8 - as I seem to like the immediate power and the feeling of the V8

Any help would be appreciated

Never driven the Subie Turbo but if its anything like the STI, your in for a treat! Not as classy but lots of potential for aftermarket upgrades. Definatly shop around and check the M5board for alot of info before purchasing. I just ditched an 05 S4 and snagged an 02 M5 instead. M5 is a true beast, and overall awesome car. I had 2 E36's M3's and one 1 E39 before thus making this my second E39. I would still have the first one but I was offered an insame amount of money for it and couldn't justify keeping it.

Rims seem to bend real easy or maybe thats just Jersey roads and the wood interior is awful. They eat gas and really pull hard. Sound system is top notch, and its so damn comfy. I never realize how fast im going because its just so smooth. One of my favorite 4 doors ever!

I like the S4 as well but its not comparison to the mighty M5.

I'm in the exact same boat. Selling the NSX because of the need of a back seat for my two infants. E39 M5 is definitely the way to go, though a bit out of my budget, so I'm planning on an E39 540i/6. Lots of things to look out for on those cars though, so read up on the bimmerfest.com and bimmerforums.com FAQs and find a well maintained one that has already dealt with the problematic issues with those cars (entire cooling system, possibly the water pump depending on year, pixel outages in the display and a bunch of other stuff).

Unless you buy the Subaru, you better buy a warranty with the other two.

Whats a used Phaeton going for these days?

I'd love a Phaeton too!! :). Were they ever available with a standard transmission though? Cars.com shows they start in the low 30K range.

That car is a real sleeper. Certainly a bargain for $30 something., I believe its an all aluminum body, because its essentialy an A8. Gorgeous interior and good performance. VERY comfortable. I'd look into one. I don't think it ever came in a stick. Closest thing to an NSX experience is the M5. Out of the shop that is... actually the older 5's aren't that bad. But I'd still want a warranty with any German car. I speak from experience.

S4's are a great deal IMO. Newer cars, factory warranty, great build quality and for some reason, headlights that always fog up.

M5 all the way!

Don't know too much about the Legacy and S4 is less roomier in my mind.

M5 is truely a Breast.

Hope you get one. :smile:

K2 said:
M5 all the way!

Don't know too much about the Legacy and S4 is less roomier in my mind.

M5 is truely a Breast.

Hope you get one. :smile:

I remember you telling me you wanted one at NSXPO 05, what color did you get?

The Kid said:
I remember you telling me you wanted one at NSXPO 05, what color did you get?

First brought 2000 Black, than 2003 Charcoal Black and finally settled on a Sterling Grey 2002.

Love the car. Did few upgrades to interior, wheels and performance upgrades. Pushing about 460hp.

K2

If you do go E-39, they are decent cars, get the extended warranty, wheel sensors, coils, belt tensioners, driveshaft joints, seals and electrical stuff to name a few, will nickle and dime you over 80k miles....
In the snow it is not that efficient, I got stuck in the parking lot after a day of boarding and some snow..in Squaw Valley..mine was lowered a bit and I did not have a full tank of gas for traction. This might have helped..My SUV is much better..I found the quality of the older E-34 M-5's to be better than the newer ones..I have owned both..just my 2c worth..

K2 said:
M5 all the way!
M5 is truely a **Breast**.

:) can't believe nobody caught this!!
or was it intentional? ;)

Here was my 2004 S4 Avant...a perfect grocery getter, hard on gas but handled like a rally car. The V8 was silky smooth w/lots of power. This car's new MSRP was right at $55K but I believe you can pick up clean examples of the '04 Avants for around $30K....

S4-1.jpg

That's a hot car.

Get that!

Hothonda said:
Here was my 2004 S4 Avant...a perfect grocery getter, hard on gas but handled like a rally car. The V8 was silky smooth w/lots of power. This car's new MSRP was right at $55K but I believe you can pick up clean examples of the '04 Avants for around $30K....

S4-1.jpg

If you are contemplating a larger M5, then why not look into the Audi RS6?? Roomier than the S4 and more powerful and quicker than the M5.

Bigglezworth said:
If you are contemplating a larger M5, then why not look into the Audi RS6?? Roomier than the S4 and more powerful and quicker than the M5.

My understanding is that the RS6 has enough turbo lag to turn me off - when I drove the Legacy GT, I was amazed at how the turbo lag was almost non-existent. Besides, I would say that maintenance costs and price for parts on the RS6 are very scary compared to the S4 and the M5 and definitely the Legacy

Bigglezworth said:

An M5 would smoke an RS6, and its lot more money. Totally out the the price range the poster is looking to spend:wink:

The Kid said:
An M5 would smoke an RS6, and its lot more money. Totally out the the price range the poster is looking to spend:wink:

An E39 M5 would smoke the RS6?
Are you sure about that?

I did a quick search and found this link:
Based on the V-8-equipped S6, with its longer hood and revised, aluminum-intensive front end, the RS6 is nevertheless a world away from its 340-horsepower sibling. Its sheer accelerative force also surpasses conventional competitors such as the BMW M5 and the Jaguar S-type R. By receipt of two turbochargers, a strengthened, deeper-inhaling version of the corporate 4.2-liter 40-valve V-8 propels the RS6 from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds, 0 to 125 mph in 17.6 seconds, and 45 to 70 mph in just 3.1 seconds. These figures group the RS6 with such class A intoxicants as the Ferrari 575M Maranello and the Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG.

But the RS6 is definitely in a much different price range than the E39 M5.

$45K for a 2003 RS6 isn't a whole lot different than an M5.

Back