• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E85 Flex Fuel System coming to ScienceofSpeed AEM Series 2 Engine Management System

91-94_EMS_450_flex_fuel.jpg

The benefits of E85 are now becoming more practical for owners of ScienceofSpeed Series 2 Engine Management Systems.

We are in beta testing of a "Flex Fuel" software/firmware/hardware package for customers interested in using E85. Besides environmental benefits, E85 fuel, now becoming more commonly available nationwide, has significant performance benefits. Due to its higher detonation resistance and charge cooling E85 can allow increased boost/compression and more ideal ignition timing. In practical use, it is our experience that with a safe knock threshold, a turbocharged 3.0L NSX engine with forged pistons can produce approximately 500 whp burning 91 octane (PON). The same engine, using E85, easily exceeds 600 whp. ScienceofSpeed has produced well over 800 whp using a 3.5L NSX engine, ScienceofSpeed twin turbocharger system, and E85 fuel.

Previously owners have had to drain their fuel tanks to switch between fuels and switch calibrations in the engine management system. With a Flex Fuel system, this requirement is eliminated. GM's fuel composition sensor outputs both fuel composition (ratio of ethanol to gasoline) and fuel temperature which is interpreted by the engine management system to adjust fuel, ignition, and boost for increased performance from E85 use. The tank does not need to be drained every time one wants to switch between gasoline and E85. Adjustments are made automatically in real time and any percentage of gasoline or E85 can be present in the fuel tank. In addition, for turbocharged applications, by using a high/low boost switch, a customer can have two performance settings.

The software/firmware is in beta testing (approximate release date is 2-4 months) and will be available at no charge to existing and new owners of ScienceofSpeed AEM Series 2 Engine Management Systems. The hardware, including the fuel composition sensor, wiring harness, and fuel plumbing is available separately. Other factors need to be considered, including the approximately 30% greater volume requirement of E85, when designing your fuel system to work with E85.

Flex Fuel will be available for both ScienceofSpeed Series 2 EMS:
1991-94 models: http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/EMS_1991-94_NSX/
1995-05 models: http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/EMS_1995-2005_NSX/

For questions about this development, please contact ScienceofSpeed: www.ScienceofSpeed.com

Can I supply my own aem version 2, and just purchase the harnesses / adapters / etc. from you to run this on my na2?

I'm interested.

Chris, any rough idea as to what sorta power increases should I expect running your SOS SC?

from my experiences with e85 you don't gain any " power" from switching to e85, just the ability to run more timing and/or more boost. Therefore increasing your power. It's like a poor mans race gas. It prevents detonation big time and with the extra fuel being burnt (30% more fuel avg) leads to lower combustion temps. On pump I have seen k24 turbo setups running like high 3s low 400 hp.. then switching to e85 they were breaking the 500 mark "safely" on stock blocks.

To push the boost levels higher of course you will need much larger injectors than running 93. ID injectors I have seen work great with e85 and you can run them at high fuel pressure levels with ease (~100psi) . They idle like stock yet have HUGE capacity.

If you are looking to know if this works then yes. I have done two E85 flex conversions with this firmware already. The tables aren't as friendly as the Infinity, but it still does the job just fine. It's nice to know what ethanol content you have in real time because it does vary. Hope this helps.

System is released, please see here for details:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/E85_FlexFuel

System requires a stand alone engine management system that supports FlexFuel tuning (including the Series 2 AEM EMS sold by ScienceofSpeed).

A calibration and firmware for FlexFuel tuning with the AEM EMS which includes extensive development is available at no charge for customers who have purchased the ScienceofSpeed AEM Series 2 EMS. The calibration is otherwise also available for a nominal fee.

Back