• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Easiest/ cheapest way to get into racing

So I don't know a ton about racing as far as the general public goes... I am wondering where drivers get their starts? I understand quarter midgets are for kids, but what are some of the ways adults get into racing as beginners besides simple autocrosses? Shifter karts? What are some of the easiest, most inexpensive ways to get into it as a hobby? I'll check out the SCCA web page, but I'd like to hear from you guys as to your thoughts... Thanks.

img34-2large.jpg

Shifter carts if you are not old enough to drive "real" cars. :tongue:

Spec Miata or Spec Focus are real racing classes that are not overly expensive. "Overly" being a relative term. Racing ain't cheap.

http://www.specmiata.com/

main.php

Last edited:
Question: How do you make a small fortune in racing?

Answer: Start with a large one.

If you've got the dough, SM is hard to beat. You'll learn everything important (except maybe throttle modulation ;) ). and you'll get to mix it up with some good drivers. I did my first race in an SM and enjoyed it.

I looked into the BMWCCA classes for a bit for some of the old e30 chasis and the SM route was a bit cheaper.

Now, I'm just racing RC cars. ;)

Shifter carts if you are not old enough to drive "real" cars. :tongue:

Spec Miata or Spec Focus are real racing classes that are not overly expensive. "Overly" being a relative term. Racing ain't cheap.

http://www.specmiata.com/

main.php

Couple other options you might want to explore. I campaigned an ocean going sail boat. That was pretty much like standing in a cold shower tearing up hundred dollar bills.

Think about polo. You could purchase a string of 25 ponies, you get to be the captain and pay the salaries of the Latin riders you hire. Then you get to fly the horses and your riders around the world to compete.

Or, you could stick to your idea of racing a car. In the end, it all balances out.:biggrin:

Good luck.

Many people with limited budgets got there start passed down from parents.Others got involved through scca maybe as cornerworkers or pit crews for friends and got hooked.Once you get into the racing network there are all manner of used race cars for sale.That said it pays to be able to wrench yourself.If you are a profesional with more time on your hands and want to get your feet wet try a 3-5 day competition driving/racing school like skippy or bondurant or bell.If carts are off the table sm as was mentioned is a great way to taste competition.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the comparison of racing to women. It is always cheaper to rent than it is own! You can get your SCCA racing license and then rent a car for the weekend. In the long run it's cheaper, but just make sure you don't demolish the car. Buy the insurance if it offered by the team/owner. If you don't think you can sweat the idea of wrecking someone else's car, then racing may not be the activity for you.

Re: It's a tricky road

but it can be done.

Send me an Email with
1. your realistic annual racing/maintenance budget (nevermind the purchase price)
2. your basic profile (age, profession, family support & obligations, previous sports, risk tolerance etc)
3. your expectations.

I'll give you
1. basic costs for club racing
2. the story about how I went from an occassional track day in my NSX to racing an FM to renting it out to financially capable racers,
3. who to talk to in Phoenix.

You don't need to be a Stuntman or a Kip Olson to go racing.

Re: It's a tricky road

but it can be done.

Send me an Email with
1. your realistic annual racing/maintenance budget (nevermind the purchase price)
2. your basic profile (age, profession, family support & obligations, previous sports, risk tolerance etc)
3. your expectations.

I'll give you
1. basic costs for club racing
2. the story about how I went from an occassional track day in my NSX to racing an FM to renting it out to financially capable racers,
3. who to talk to in Phoenix.

You don't need to be a Stuntman or a Kip Olson to go racing.

I will second this and will give you any help you may need. I started in karts and raced them for over 20 years only started racing cars as it started out cheaper than racing my kart. An example is this I sold my Emmick road racing kart with a Komet 135cc reed engine for $10,000.00 dollars in 1989 and took the money to buy a 1985 Reynard formula ford from a Dwight Mathison in Northern California for $10,000.00. I ran this car for 4 races the first year on the old tires the car came with and payed only entry fees and gas and oil. The next year I totally rebuilt the car in the off season (rod ends, bought last years new Hoosiers from the local tire guy 4 sets for $1500.00) and ran the car 8 races for less than $3,000.00 that year. Then I had to rebuild the engine and Jay Ivey let me tear down my engine and built me a short block and a ported head and guided me through the assembly process, for me in the aerospace industry engines have sloppy tolerances compared to the CNC's I was used to setting up and maintaining so it was a relatively easy transition.
You can go racing and depending on your skill level of mechanics do it effectively and have a lot of fun. Wining is based on getting the most out of your seat time and learning from every mistake. Do not believe the old stand by that he with the most money wins (it didn't work for the Toyota boys in F1) they had the highest budget of any one when they started out for several years and it did not buy them any wins! I have built up my tools and transportation over the years to where I can run an Atlantic car but an Atlantic is not a hobby car it requires that I relinquish the wrenching to my crew chief Mike Demski and I concentrate on driving the weekend, but I do most of the wrenching on the car at home and in the shop to save money and because I love it. More than willing to help anyone get started and so will your local club members, hang out at the track they are always looking for a helping hand. Good luck and PM me I have gotten a few from the forum already since I've joined and I will always help.

Last edited:
Send me $10,000 and I'll kick you in the nuts. It's a little more painful, but less expensive. :biggrin:

If you can fix cars, something like NASA might work. I know that guys are racing on the cheap pretty well in the American Iron class with vintage (circa 1990+) mustangs and camaros. Spec miata is cheap, but to win you'll need to spend more.

Back