• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ECU Controller

I just acquired a 300ZXTT (don't worry, NSX is still the fave!) - these things have incredible potential for power for a fraction of the $$$ of the NSX. It also turns out Gerry Johnson is a previous master of multiple ZXTT's so that is an unexpected bonus.
Anyway, I've been enjoying researching opportunities & came across The Zemulator by Ashley Powers - hokey name, very interesting product. This kind of product would be a dream come true for the NSX ECU.
Makes interesting reading, the manual is the best link to go to (near bottom of the index page)

http://www.ztechz.net/turboupgradeforvg30dett/id10.html

Some more info regarding custom tuning ECU EPROM - this is for a 300ZX but I'm sure it must be possible for the NSX - problem is getting the base maps to begin with (well, not really, just copy them from the chip but deciphering the addresses is the key) - I'm sure the peformance chip suppliers have this (Bryan Zublin?)
Is this possible with the NSX?
If nothing else this makes good reading for anyone trying to understand tuning variables.

The ROM emulator mentioned in the web page will most likely work with the pre-ODBII NSX ECU. The EPROM size is even the same as the 300Z (27C256 = 32K bytes). The ROM emulator hardware is relatively straightforward and was once very common for software engineers when embedded micros used external memory (ROM) for program code and programs were small (32K bytes).

The hard part is knowing where the important data is located in the ROM so that you can change the fuel maps, timing maps, etc. I don't have this info as it requires extensive reverse engineering of the stock chip contents. It HAS been accomplished already, presumably by Hondata and a few others.

In the book "High Performance Honda Builder's Handbook" on page 58 and 59 they are showing a NSX ECU opened up, and showing pictures of the circuit board, and showed a picture of a aftermarket EPROM chip installed, on the next page they have a laptop with Techtoms software on a laptop showing a HEX/BIN file. At the top of the screen it has a filename of the HEX/BIN as being 91NSX.RPS So it seems like Techtom/G-Force has done some work on the NSX ECU, also "RPS" might be the RPS "Turbo Clutch" people as they are promently featured in the book.

Although all the information on the web i could find on the 2 didnt reveal anthing specific for the NSX. Probably going to have to amke a few phone calls and bug a few people.

-Ray

Well I presume that someone has done this to produce the chips for Dali and others, but Hondata reportedly gave up messing with it for boosted applications when they realized how different it was than every other Honda/Acura chip. And that's what would worry me because those guys really know their stuff. So, if I was inclined to start tinkering with the NSX chip I would first ask them about their experience with it.

sjs said:
Well I presume that someone has done this to produce the chips for Dali and others, but Hondata reportedly gave up messing with it for boosted applications when they realized how different it was than every other Honda/Acura chip. And that's what would worry me because those guys really know their stuff. So, if I was inclined to start tinkering with the NSX chip I would first ask them about their experience with it.
agreed... the NSX ECU is extreemely advanced. I've been out of the loop... but did AEM ever come up with anything? A company in Japan t/c'd an NSX which required them to use 2 HKS F-CONs, and nothing more ever developed from that idea.

D'Ecosse- in regards to a TTZX, thanks! I've been tinkering with a heavily intoxicated 3.2ltr 1996 Z (which at the time when nothing was available) entirely converted to OBD I spec using a JW ECU and (IMO) unsatisfactory Twin-Pop charger setup. Can't get it consistent enough to pass CA smog.

Choritsu-shi;)

Back