• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ECU / ECM repair shop recommendations

Has any one had their OBD1 ECM repaired? And had a good experience?

I have two ECMs, p/n 37820-PR7-A04 that both exhibit different problems.
One can't keep the rear bank in closed loop and records the occasional CEL codes 2&44.
The second one has a solid CEL code 12, but the rear bank stays in CL as it should.

So I am looking for a shop that can test and repair our ECMs.

Hey Graeme - I seem to recall a fellow making the entire code available to our community, recently. I suspect that he would have access to the types of shops that would repair the ECU. Run a search for that and see if he can connect you to a repair person maybe. Otherwise, I got lint.

I remember that also, but I have searched and searched for it and can't find it. I someone can point me in the correct direction, that would be great. Since I have a socketed ECU to play with.

But, I solved one of my issues tonight. The ECU I thought had the EGR issue, it was the contact pin in the harness connector (A11). It must have failed during the swap. Looks fine but it would not grip the pin in the ECU. The Miata uses the same connectors, so I replaced that pin and changed the plastic shell, as it looked like someone used vise grips to take it off in the past. So now the EGR solenoid circuit is solid.

So now I should have a good running car! I will find out tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 116
Hey Graeme - I seem to recall a fellow making the entire code available to our community, recently. I suspect that he would have access to the types of shops that would repair the ECU. Run a search for that and see if he can connect you to a repair person maybe. Otherwise, I got lint.

The software and source code for tuning the data chip on the ECU will not help with hardware issues on the ECU. If you are having issues and have a socketed ECU there can be issues with improper or poorly installed sockets so that would be worth checking but the ECU would or could have random drivability issues or codes if that was the problem, or not even be able to run in anything but limp mode. I know of no one that is currently doing ECU repairs and one of the only guys who knows enough about the ECU SR5GUY here on Prime is the one you could ask.

The hardware in the ECU is very robust and very well made, but everything has a lifespan.

Dave

Back