• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Edmunds Buys a Used NSX For a Long Term Test

I don't know the hometown of Edmunds is, however we should reach out to them and invite their writer/tester to a local meet.

This should be interesting. I wonder why, if they paid 35K for the car, didn't they buy a 97+ NSX?

Sucks for them as they will soon find out there ain't any issues to write about other than oil changes, how interesting can the blog be? :biggrin:

This should be interesting. I wonder why, if they paid 35K for the car, didn't they buy a 97+ NSX?

A clean 97+ costs more than that. It is a targa and not a coupe, it has power steering. Yes, it is a 3.2 and a 6 speed but... I think they did the right thing. An original 1991 is now 20 years old. They will soon see no other 21 year old sports car is as good.

I hope we can contact one of the guys though.... they can be lurking here already.

Yeah, they went to THE CORE!! I think is great, I just wish someone told them to get the 17 inches whels all around wheels, that's all, the tires @ 15-16 are so limited, they need more meat urgent!!!

Otherwise I am so happy, they are going to love that "vintage" car!

Oscar

They paid 33K, and I also agree that a 97+ in good shape with maintenance up to date is worth much more than that.

The car looks to be in very good shape, and with only 45K miles, it should.
They should borrow mine for a day, so they can see how well the NSX holds up to 140,000 miles. Besides some chips in the paint, I would bet that my car presents and drives as well as that car.

the tires @ 15-16 are so limited, they need more meat urgent!!!

What is limited about the original 15-16 setup? Besides looks.

My car came with 94 OEM 16-17 wheels and the original OEM 15-16 wheels, and I have since upgraded to 02+ OEM 17-17.
I have driven all the setups and I still think that the original 15-16 setup is the sharpest I have felt.
Maybe it was the tires, but the 15-16 setup certainly was not a determent to the performance of the car.

Atleast this quote from that article can finally put the question if the NSX is an Exotic Sportscar to bed.

"The NSX was also the first exotic sports car that put a priority on comfort, usability and reliability."

so those who say its not an Exotic Sportscar
I say ( fill in blank ) Off.

Should be an interesting read.

$33K is a decent price if the maintenance is up to date.

I am surprised they are only averaging 20mpgs. I usually averaged 23 and on long drives I saw closer to 29.

The 15/16 wheel and tire combo is actually a great handling setup. Those wheels are pretty light. It's just the fender gap is so big it makes them look bad.

I am surprised they are only averaging 20mpgs. I usually averaged 23 and on long drives I saw closer to 29.

I'm surprised as well. I started keeping records about a year ago (15 fill-ups). With high-boost CTSC, short gears, and 4.55 R&P (which have impacted my mileage) my WORST non-track-day fill-up in the last year was 19.5. I think some of that may have been due to evaporation (that fill-up was 7.5 months after the previous and only 6.3 gallons...so includes winter hibernation). Street average seems to be around 23-24...with 19.5 and 27 as min/max.

I suppose type of driving impacts these things...a lot of country/mountain roads mixed in with city.

Last edited:
Should be interesting to follow. I had a feeling they grabbed that car; I'd seen it in the classifieds recently and remembered the price/color combo.

Gas mileage can be sub par for a multitude of reasons on a 20 year old car, failing o2 sensor (can take a long time before a CEL appears), clogged cat, old fuel filter, etc.

little more than 47,000

20 mpg ?? Snicker Snicker. :biggrin:

They are driving the hell out of that car.

:cool:

They couldn't possibly have found a more perfect example. Not a snap ring car, timing belt/water pump replaced, new clutch, ac updated. The only thing they will ever need to do to that thing is rear tires and oil.

:wink:

You guys should be thrilled. This blog is going to increase the value of NSXs everywhere.

20 mpg ?? Snicker Snicker. :biggrin:

They are driving the hell out of that car.

:cool:

They couldn't possibly have found a more perfect example. Not a snap ring car, timing belt/water pump replaced, new clutch, ac updated. The only thing they will ever need to do to that thing is rear tires and oil.

:wink:

You guys should be thrilled. This blog is going to increase the value of NSXs everywhere.

I agree. But hopefully they won't appreciate too much before I can get into another one! :wink:

They paid more than I did for my 91 with 40k miles...albeit a grand LOL.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the car and how they feel about it throughout. I tend to agree that there won't be alot to write about with regards to reliability...:biggrin:

I tend to agree that there won't be alot to write about with regards to reliability...:biggrin:
I respectfully disagree. We know the car is good in general. But testing one car that is more than 20 years old is always a risk, even with the NSX. They can run into several things which - in the bad - case can add to several thousand $ like clutch, windows, A/C and the like. I hope they don't but even a 20 year old Honda needs some attention for time to time regardless what it's state is when they bought it.

The wet trunk was a surprise.

I respectfully disagree. We know the car is good in general. But testing one car that is more than 20 years old is always a risk, even with the NSX. They can run into several things which - in the bad - case can add to several thousand $ like clutch, windows, A/C and the like. I hope they don't but even a 20 year old Honda needs some attention for time to time regardless what it's state is when they bought it.

The wet trunk was a surprise.

You didn't read the article very carefully did you? The clutch windows and ac have all been done already.

:tongue:

You didn't read the article very carefully did you? The clutch windows and ac have all been done already.

:tongue:
I've read it but not in every single detail. :) I've mentioned examples. Any other known failure can occur. If they don't in a short series it's a good car, if they do it's a bad car. That's what I wanted to express if they test a 20 year old Honda. :wink:

Back