• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EGR valve issue

I have a code indicating that my EGR valve is not functioning properly. Can it be serviced? New parts are unavailable so is there an aftermarket or other Honda/Acura part that will fit? Finally, can the car be operated without engine damage. I have a 1,200 mile trip planned but don't want to risk engine damage.

Thanks.

Kevin Cooper
Ottawa, Canada
'96 T
WOW NSX

Hey Kevin,
You can clean these out, normally it is the ports on the intake that get clog with carbon.

You can clean the ports out...Oven Cleaner works great with a wire brush.

Bram

Sometimes I think that any NSX part other than oil filters and wiper blade inserts is unavailable in Canada. The EGR is definitely available from US vendors and from Amayama

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/18011pr7a00

The Amayama price is slightly cheaper than the US discount price and shipping is generally cheaper from Japan (than the US) using EMS. As of August 7 Amayama was still shipping to Canada using EMS (but not to the USA). Based on my most recent experience, with the combination of COVID 19 and the efforts of the new US Postmaster General shipping to Canada from Japan will be much faster than shipping from the US unless you use a courier service from the US which will further jack up the price.

Take Bram's advice and try cleaning the valve before replacing, making sure that the lift potentiometer is working. If the EGR valve is not opening the correct amount when called for by the ECU that means that the intake charge is not being diluted by exhaust and has more O2. This will result in the engine running lean off of the base fuel map because of the extra O2. Running lean is not good; but, the ECU is running in closed loop so the short term trim may be able to correct it back to 14.7. If you ECU is not generating mixture out of range error codes then likely all is good.

Most people probably have somewhat or really clogged EGR ports and are unaware of it. What triggers the EGR error codes is typically the lift potentiometer not opening the correct amount. You can have a functioning lift potentiometer; but, the ports may be clogged and the ECU can't detect that.

Back