• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electric Power Steering to Manual Rack

Hi there,

I need some guidance from anyone who has converted their EPS rack to a manual one.

I have a '92 Automatic and the power steering rack and pinion assembly is whining (screetching?) when I turn the steering wheel.

Has anyone ever cracked one of those babies open?
What's involved with a swap to a manual rack?

I guess a totally new power assembly is incredibly expensive.

Bob in Calgary

You're on the right track. EPS rack unit is about $5k, the manual unit is maybe $700. It's a straight conversion (the parts are interchangeable) and not very expensive. An hour or two of labor plus alignment. If you want, pull the EPS light bulb too. Acura of Brookfield did mine for less than $300 if I recall correctly.

I kept the squeeky EPS rack just in case someone figures out a way to fix it, but I've not seen anything ever posted.

I have absolutely no complaints about manual steering.

Thank-you for that. What a relief it is to hear that this has happened to someone else.
My NSX-guru mechanic is scared to open up the EPS unit without a plan B (swap to a manual unit). He is very curious to see if it is possible to repair however.
I figure I'm better off with the manual rack anyway.

Bob in Calgary

I just did mine and love it! Wish I had done it years ago. A must for those that spend time on the track. :biggrin:

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I am thinking of doing this as well since sourcing a EPS unit here very difficult and expensive :)

Where did you guys get the manual unit? And how easy it is to replace the electric unit?

Post 2 should have your answer. If it is only a 1 to 2 hour job then it's probably relatively simple. I would pm Ravi here and hit him up for a clean used manual rack.

What kind of problem are you having, I repair the power units.

The steering does not seem to be precise. And it feels 'loose'.

Actually, it was repaired once before. I met the mechanic who repaired it and he said the problem is with the 'gears' in the EPS. I've also talked to an NSX owner who has the same problem and he said that the problem will come back even after repairing the unit.

BrianK, is there any other areas I should look at wit regards to this 'loose' steering feel?

The steering does not seem to be precise. And it feels 'loose'.

Actually, it was repaired once before. I met the mechanic who repaired it and he said the problem is with the 'gears' in the EPS. I've also talked to an NSX owner who has the same problem and he said that the problem will come back even after repairing the unit.

BrianK, is there any other areas I should look at wit regards to this 'loose' steering feel?

Warn tie rod ends and make sure the alinement is correct

dumping this thread...

so the metal on metal sound is the tie rod ends not really the actual rack itself right? are these parts replaceable without having to replace the entire steering rack?

http://www.ct-engineering.com/store/product83.html

BrianK is this what you're talking about?

I'm having the same issue and thinking of switching out the EPS w/ a manual one if I have to - but if I can fix the grinding sound then I'd like to get this fixed....

Also if I remove the EPS system, how do you keep the idiot light from coming on?

What part numbers should I be looking for when swapping the EPS with a manual rack?

Last edited:
The EPS unit is mounted in the passenger side footwell, behind the sub-woofer. On the left side of the unit is three big plugs. In order to kill the idiot light, unplug the bottom connector. No more light.

The EPS unit is mounted in the passenger side footwell, behind the sub-woofer. On the left side of the unit is three big plugs. In order to kill the idiot light, unplug the bottom connector. No more light.

Awesome - can i just remove the EPS unit altogether once I replace my EPS rack with a manual one? I Think i found one that someone is selling so I'm going to swap it out once i get the parts......

You can if you want to. The inputs (sensors) that interact with this unit are your speedometer, the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which is on your transaxel and two sensors on your existing rack. As these inputs will not be needed for your new rack, you can remove the box but I'm not sure if the subwoofer needs that base support in order to stay in place.

is there a way to rebuild the manual rack without having to cut it open? I was told you actually have to cut the housing to have the internals rebuilt.... i know the acura vigor has a rebuild kit but not sure about for the NSX... thoughts? Thx!

Look in the NSX service manual, I believe there is information in regard to disassembling and rebuilding a manual steering rack.

Back