• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electrical Gremlin

I have a 97 and it has decided to only start when it feels like it. I "think" the problem is either the ignition switch or the clutch cutout switch. When I turn the key to accesory, everything is fine. When key turned to on position it appears ok. When all the way to start, 5 out of ten times the starter motor doesn't spin. 1 out of ten times the starter motor spins but the ignition is apparently off (it doesn't start). 4 times out of ten it starts. After running everything is normal. Battery charging appears ok, when the starter motor spins it seems to be at the right rpm so I think the battery is ok.

How can I tell if the switch is bad, and if so can I do anything about it or is it sealed and I just need a new one? Is there any way to tell if its the clutch cutoff? Thanks

These sound like you possibly / probably have both of the relatively common issues that plague older NSX's
1) Ignition switch (which is the issue with your starter not cranking)
2) the main relay (not starting when it is cranking)

If you search on both issues separately you will find a lot of info re solutions (one of which already provided by Drew above)

Back