• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electrical Help. Battery won't charge after Timing Belt Change

Hi Everyone,

Need some help here. Read through all of the forums and I think that I narrowed it down to Alternator not charging the battery.

Background:
Got a timing belt, water pump etc... changed at Baierl Acura here in the Pittsburgh area. price total $2245.00, It was $675 more in labor charge because I have the CTSC.

It is a '96T with an Optima Yellow Top Battery.
The battery is perfect, took it to advance auto and they tested it and it is fully charged.

Now here is why I think the alternator is not charging the battery. After it's charged, for a couple of days, the car drives fine, but you can see the voltage on the dash gauge of the battery just going down from 14 to 9 over a couple of days. But the weird thing is that when the battery is completely dead, the car still runs with the alternator... It seems that the accessories, headlights, clock, air, radio, air conditioning, runs off the battery.

So, I am assuming the battery is fine, and the alternator is fine because it can keep the car running after it is started.

Is this a bad assumption? Is this something easy to test myself or do I need to drive 45 minutes to the dealer and have them take care of this?

Would they be responsible for this since the electrical system was fine before the timing belt change or are they going to charge me more.

Thanks again in advance for the help!!!

Thanks to everyone their help!!!

Especially Larry B.... That guy definitely knows his stuff.

The problem was the cable from the alternator to the battery was corroded and old, so replaced that and everything is charging fine.

Back