• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electrical "short-out" issue

Having issue with electric "short out".

Sometimes. I'll turn the ignition and it fires right away, no problem.

Other times, there is a "clicking" noise that comes from the dash area and the car won't start.

The battery is strong, I've had it replace recently and charged, as well.

One last hint that might help, the car was completely dead, no power whatsoever, I grounded the black cable and connected the positive end to the battery BEFORE even touching the other end of the cables to the battery with power, the NSX dome light popped on and I was able to fire up the car on the first turn.

What the hell?

3 things it can be...

1 main relay they go bad what year is your NSX?

2 ignition switch behind the Key hole, again what year NSX

3 after market alarm with kill switch is going bad. what brand of alarm

both simple to replace.

main relay 186.00
ignition switch 56.00
to remove aftermarket alarm and return it to factory 300-400 depending

Last edited:
Car is a '91 NSX

Alarm is stock, Radar detector is a Beltronics RX-75 hardwired.

I also have PIAA running lights that have an on/off switch in the cabin.

Thanks for the help,

Car is a '91 NSX

Alarm is stock, Radar detector is a Beltronics RX-75 hardwired.

I also have PIAA running lights that have an on/off switch in the cabin.

Thanks for the help,

3 things it can be...

both simple to replace.

main relay 186.00
ignition switch 56.00

It's probably an issue with the ignition switch. On the older cars, the switch can cause problems. When you turn the key from the "ignition" position to the "crank" position, a spring-loaded switch at the base of the ignition unit turns, bridging an electrical connection and starting the car. When the key is released from the "crank" position, it snaps back into the "ignition" position. Sometimes the switch doesn't return to the correct position or the contacts are corroded, causing a poor connection. Either the spring in the switch is broken (less likely) or the electrical contacts are corroded (more likely).

One possible way to tell if there is a problem with the switch is to manually turn the key back to the correct position once the engine starts up. Once it cranks, don't let go and let the spring return it but manually turn the key back to the "ignition" position before the engine stalls. It should keep running. It may take some practice to get it just right but it's what I did before I fixed the switch.

I fixed this problem in my '91 about a few months ago. The contacts were pretty corroded.

1. Remove the trim piece under the steering wheel (the one with the footwell light on it) by removing two phillips screws

2. Remove the switch at the base of the ignition unit. This is not the whole assembly that you insert the key into. Just a white plastic disk-shaped piece at the bottom. It has a few wires going to it. It is held in place by two small phillips screws.

3. Chances are, the contacts are corroded. I took some 600 grit sandpaper and sanded the contacts down to bare copper. This should ensure a quality connection. If the switch is actually damaged you may have to buy a new one. They cost about $60.

also:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=5

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1321838

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140035

3 things it can be...

both simple to replace.

main relay 186.00
ignition switch 56.00

WHAT?????????:eek: $186.00 for a MR? Wow, just wow, I paid 60 bucks 4 years ago. Man how times have changed.

Back