• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electronic Seat Belt Retractors??

I'll hit the manual later......just wondering if anybody knows off the top of their heads:

Does the 1991 NSX use the SRS sensors to electronically retract the seat belts on impact or are they just the typical momentum locking type?

Just got done going through the wiring diagrams. Can't see anything that shows electronic retractors on my 1991. Looks like they're just momentum locks.

Could have sworn I read about them being tied to the SRS sensors :confused: Maybe the later year NSX's are different.

That figures. I just removed both SRS sensors and brackets from under the dash.

Are you sure this is the case for a 91? Just rechecked the wiring diagram and it shows nothing going to the seat belts.

Here are the belts I removed from my 1994 (they have been sold), you can see the SRS harness, with the red 'short' clip, to prevent the charge from detonating:

belts.jpg

Thanks Scorp. I wasn't doubting you. I know when you post something you know what you're talking about. My 91 manual makes no mention of these and the yellow harnesses don't go any where near the seatbelts unless they go down the center console and then out to the seatbelts.

I want to reduce weight in my car but if my car has these same retractors I'm putting the SRS sensors back in. I just figured since I installed a quick release steering wheel and I have no passenger air bag I might as well save some weight and pull the sensors and brackets (3 lbs 6 oz). I'll pull the side panels off and see what the deal is. I suspect they added these seat belt retractors in 93 when they added the passenger airbag.

I'll post when I find out for sure.

Last edited:
Final Verdict: There are no SRS lines or Electronic seat belt retractors on the seat belts of a 1991 NSX.

I pulled everything apart and verified it with my own eyes. I'm guessing that they added the SRS stuff to the seat belts in 1993 or 1994.

Back