• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

emissions testing / state inspection

Hi everyone,

My state inspection is due for my 1992 NSX. I'm a little concerned that I will not pass. Even when the car is fully warmed up, there seems to be a little bit of visible smoke out of the exhaust. It's not a big puff, but more like sparce vapors. The check engine light isn't on, but I'm not sure if this is a sign that it will pass because it's OBD1.

I went in on Saturday to get my state inspection at a private facility. I thought they would be able to give me a pass because of the height of my car, but they told me they weren't sure and I would have to come in again on Tuesday.. that sucked because it forced me to miss the Mt. Fuji NSX run.

Any ideas on how I can be sure to pass? It may sound stupid, but I don't want to have a "failed emissions" on my Carfax record.

Thank you Prime!
-Brian.

EDIT: Also, does anyone have any experience with Seafoam? I heard it cleans out a lot of the gunk in your engine?

Hi Brian,

Sorry we missed you yesterday. If you have no check light it means the engine is working within the proper A/F range. Only if you had bad cats would the car fail. Make sure it is out for a good run before getting it tested, and it is fully warmed up. No Worries:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back